Business & Investing
Sponsored by

not sure what other forum to ask this question...re: life insurance

1,876 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie95
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
are there companies or policies available that omit the reason(s)/ailments that might cause denial or crazy high rates?

For example: person has family heart issues and has recovered from heart attack and doctor gives overall fair health report.....are there policies available that would give life insurance but not pay if cause of death was heart related but instead car accident, cancer, etc.?
SteveBott
AG
There is always that one fish in the sea but you might have to settle for a Whole life policy.
george1992
cjsag94
AG
There are cancer only policies, and there are AD&D policies to address your specifically stated items.

I do not think an insurance company will amend their policy language to exclude something like heart issues.
SteveBott
AG
Not sure what you mean. Please explain
SteveBott
AG
They won't.
george1992
SteveBott said:

Not sure what you mean. Please explain

Ignore me im ignorant.
cjsag94
AG
Public service announcement.. if you have people who depend on you, get a sufficient amount (not some round number that sounds good, the right amount for your situation) of term life insurance immediately... It's cheap, urgent, and important.

It irritates me to see bbq sales and GoFundMe campaigns when something bad happens.. so preventable for most people.
Aggie95
AG
Not that easy for some....currently getting the runaround from multiple companies.
cjsag94
AG
Aggie95 said:

Not that easy for some....currently getting the runaround from multiple companies.

I completely understand and am sorry for your situation.

This type of situation is why I said people should get it as soon as needed IF YOU CAN. For instance, 18 years ago, as soon as we found out my wife was pregnant, I bought my first term policy.

10 years ago, my health (weight and cholesterol) improved so I replaced it with more for the same premium. Today... Not even sure if get approved, but would likely be no better than standard, and premiums go up with age.

One suggestion you could try is to reduce the term or face amount (assuming you are looking at term). If you are getting the run around and not flat denial, then maybe your are on the edge of the risk the insurance company would take.

Get as little as a one or two year term then keep shopping until you can get what you need longer term. Basically, ask the insurance agent to find you a stop gap while you seek the final solution.
Stive
AG
Aggie95 said:

Guessing he didn't mean to imply that it's easy for all....it's easy for most and it's why many advisors recommend getting covered early, even ahead of when you technically need it.

If there's a company out there that will carve out a specific health issue on life insurance I'm not aware of it. They do it for disability insurance all the time ("we'll cover you if you can't work unless the reason you can't work is that bum knee that's been a train wreck since the high school football injury). And there are some life insurance policies that will carve out activities ("we'll cover you unless you die during a sky diving incident since you like to do that....or unless you're piloting a small plane since you like to do that). But I'm not aware of one that will carve out a specific/current health issue when it comes to life insurance.

Options:

A joint life policy with a healthy spouse. This might not deal with your current issue, since it would take the death of both of you before a benefit would be paid, but some coverage can be acquired via this method. Typically only sold in permanent insurance models.

If you own your own business, you could acquire group life insurance which has a guaranteed issue amount (different amounts by different companies and depending on the number of people on the plan).

Start listening to the old people life insurance info-mercials. Some companies will issue small amounts with minimal or no health questions. You might be able to buy several small policies with several companies without having to delve into your medical history too much. It's also possible that once you have one (or a couple) of these type policies, that the other companies won't issue their coverage in the same way so you may get capped out after buying minimal amounts. But it's better than nothing if you're desperate for coverage.

Good luck.

hammerhead
Aggie95 said:

Current age, how long ago was heart attack, any bypass surgery?
Aggie95
AG
actually that was just an example.

specifically I had a term policy that expired and I am getting delayed/deffered on new policy due to family history of cancer and a diagnosis of Thyroid cancer in 2019. My thyroid was removed prior to diagnosis and all tests since have been great. I am generally healthy (controlled BP and Cholesterol) despite needing to lose about 20lbs. I get annual physical and lab work for company health insurance and my primary care doctor says they look good overall. The life insurance company is wanting to delay an answer until my next Thyroid follow up in October. My question is what then? Will they keep delaying or will it be flat denial?
I have resigned to the fact that I will pay almost 3x what I was paying. Just annoyed.
SteveBott
AG
Feel for you. Had prostate cancer in 2012. Been turned down ever since
Stive
AG
3x of a cheap policy isn't that high compared to many people's second round through underwriting. If that's all it is you're getting off relatively cheap honestly.
LCE
AG
Aggie95 said:

actually that was just an example.

specifically I had a term policy that expired and I am getting delayed/deffered on new policy due to family history of cancer and a diagnosis of Thyroid cancer in 2019. My thyroid was removed prior to diagnosis and all tests since have been great. I am generally healthy (controlled BP and Cholesterol) despite needing to lose about 20lbs. I get annual physical and lab work for company health insurance and my primary care doctor says they look good overall. The life insurance company is wanting to delay an answer until my next Thyroid follow up in October. My question is what then? Will they keep delaying or will it be flat denial?
I have resigned to the fact that I will pay almost 3x what I was paying. Just annoyed.

Sorry to hear that, but great news on test results since then. There is about a zero % chance of you getting coverage barely two years out of this. What then depends. It could be a flat denial. Them waiting on your follow-up is actually a good sign. Tell your Dr. what your up against as for as life coverage and see if he/she will write a small letter telling the carrier their thoughts on your health situation. Might help-might not.

Also

Type of thyroid cancer
Pathology
Complications
Carriers want to see evidence of regular follow-up's is important.

Possible standard rates after 3 or so years with good follow-ups. What life co your applying with matters also.

Good luck.
Aggie95
AG
Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.