Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What to do w/ $300K

4,384 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Done7
2004FIGHTINTXAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My mom has about $300K that she doesn't know what to do with and she doesn't have a financial advisor.

She's nearing retirement, so she needs to put it in a safe, conservative investment. Do y'all have any suggestions?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
When will she need the money and in what way? I'd start there.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
She'll need it for some of her retirement. Plans on retiring in the next two years.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

She'll need it for some of her retirement. Plans on retiring in the next two years.

So in two years from now will she plan to withdraw it all? Will she begin taking annual withdrawals of $25k/yr? Will she only need this for emergencies in retirement?
themissinglink
AG
What other assets/sources of income will she have during her retirement?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I wouldn't want to put it all in fixed income if she's only using a portion each year and it's not her emergency fund. If she's going to pull it all out in two years I'd hate to try to time the market.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
S&P 500 index fund.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Tomas Hermensa said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

So in two years from now will she plan to withdraw it all? Will she begin taking annual withdrawals of $25k/yr? Will she only need this for emergencies in retirement?

She'll have supplemental income coming in that she won't need to draw from it immediately upon retirement.
It'll be for an emergency.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
themissinglink said:

She's selling her business and other real estate. Prob around $2M from that. Plus SS.
JamesBREI06
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

My mom has about $300K that she doesn't know what to do with and she doesn't have a financial advisor.

She's nearing retirement, so she needs to put it in a safe, conservative investment. Do y'all have any suggestions?

What is her expectations with it? I have a fixed interest product that pays 8% monthly.
JamesBREI06
AG
JamesBREI06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

What is her expectations with it? I have a fixed interest product that pays 8% apr in monthly installments.
Stive
AG
JamesBREI06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

What is her expectations with it? I have a fixed interest product that pays 8% monthly.

IN. !!!!!!!

Let's hear about it.
Ragoo
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

themissinglink said:

She's selling her business and other real estate. Prob around $2M from that. Plus SS.
if she doesn't have a plan for $300k today what is she going to do with $2mm in two years?

If she doesn't have a planner ha e her reach out to fisher investments or similar.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
JamesBREI06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Insert Joker "And here we go" gif
John Francis Donaghy
300k cash today, and an expected 2m in the near future, with retirement looming?

If she doesn't have investing experience, and doesn't know what to do with the money, I'd say she's best off retaining a solid financial advisor. I's start interviewing now, don't say anything about the $2m, and find one with a fair fee structure that wants to help her with what she has now.

That $2m will have vultures circling. Find an advisor that willing to put in the work when there's only $300k in the picture, build the relationship, and she'll have someone she can trust already established in her life when the $2m comes around in a few years.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Ragoo said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

themissinglink said:

if she doesn't have a plan for $300k today what is she going to do with $2mm in two years?

If she doesn't have a planner ha e her reach out to fisher investments or similar.

Thanks. Yeah, that's the problem. She doesn't know what to do with the money and it's so much in one dump that I have no idea either. She just got the 300K, so was curious what y'all would do with it.
I already recommended for her to get a financial advisor.
JamesBREI06
AG
vmiaptetr said:

JamesBREI06 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Insert Joker "And here we go" gif

Lol. I meant to edit to say apr with monthly payments, but somehow made a new post. We have a debt pool collateralized by the real estate paper that we write to investors.
Sully Dog
If it's for "emergencies" hold 3-6 months expenses in an money market and the rest of your answer here:

Quote:

S&P 500 index fund.
I might also look at a high interest fund like VYM, VIG or SDY, which focus on blue chip dividend aristocrats.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Old RV Ag
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

themissinglink said:

Guide me here a little - she has a business and real estate worth $2MM (I'm assuming you mean million) and no financial advisors or financial knowledge of her own?

Congrats to her for creating a sound financial retirement.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Old RV Ag said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

themissinglink said:

Guide me here a little - she has a business and real estate worth $2MM (I'm assuming you mean million) and no financial advisors or financial knowledge of her own?

Congrats to her for creating a sound financial retirement.

Correct. She's never invested in any funds, stocks, etc
Her retirement is all in the sell of her business and a couple real estate properties. She's never had a financial advisor. It's crazy.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
So with this additional information, my thoughts:

I like the thought above of keeping 3-6 months expenses in some fixed income, liquid investment. I'd supplement that thought with consideration of what kind of emergency she might need this money for. Are we talking $300k type of emergencies? 100k? 3-6 months of expenses types of emergencies? That might guide me as to how much to have in fixed investments.

For everything else here are some thoughts I've seen reiterated here a few times
ehrmantraut said:

You should have all your bases covered. Large cap growth & value, mid and small cap growth and value, international large/mid/small growth and value, plus emerging markets. There are mutual funds or ETF's that do this for you so you don't have to worry about it.
Having just the S&P 500 is great, but only gets you exposure to domestic large cap growth and value. You'd be omitting everything else.

I do like the idea posted above of using the $300k to shop around and test drive an advisor. If you find someone you like then maybe you have them advise you on the other $2 million. However if she just doesn't want to deal with that, having a combination of the above stock investments along with 2-5 years of money in more stable investments, so she always has stable money she can live off while riding out tough market years.

12thMan9
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

How much does she need monthly?

RSHMX, safe at about 4% & liquid after 30 days. I have $ here as opposed to a traditional savings acct.
EPD, paying a little over 7% dividend yearly. Currently trading at $24.41, analysts suggest the $30/sh range is the high side.. Paying $.445/sh quarterly, and a buy/hold by most analysts. I'm sure you can do some looking but I've had EPD for over 10 years & it's consistent & forecasted to increase its dividend next year. $300K would generate almost $22K/yr in dividends.

Good luck on your choices & good job by mom!
Ronnie '88
South Platte
Minimum investment amount?
JamesBREI06
AG
South Platte said:

Minimum investment amount?

We are around here currently

$250k for 8% note
$100k for 7% note
JSKolache
AG
Open a trading account, buy XOM. It's paying 6% divs as of today's price. So that's +$18k annual mailbox money - regardless of the price of the stock (which will likely increase.) Not the best return, but it's more than a savings account.
Diggity
AG
foolproof strategy
mosdefn14
AG
XOM is at the same price it was in 2004, sounds like good advice.
Done7
Personally I would Buy 1 bitcoin and 5 ETH. The other $250k in a index fund if she doesn't need it for another 5+ years.
Done7
Yea. Put $300k in one company to earn 6%. I wonder what could go wrong??? If you are looking for a safe way to earn dividends go buy a vanguard dividend fund.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.