Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What would you do with 100k?

6,554 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm about to come into a chunk of money that I'd like to invest somehow. I'm not sure what types on investments I would like to get into outside of just sticking it all into the stock market. I have a good full time job so I don't have the time to start my own business and would have limited time for side gigs but its doable, especially if I had a partner. This would be a long term strategy but I wouldn't be mad if I could get a little cash flow out of the deal. Real estate is so high right now I don't know if that makes sense for the time being.
jamey
AG
4 months ago I would have said rental property but people are offering 100k over asking on houses now so....perhaps wait and see if it cools back down in 6 months or a year.

That was my plan but it's on hold now.

My other plan was buy commodities ETF which I did but it's already gone up around 35% in just the last 6 months. I think it may continue but doesn't seem like as much of a sure thing now
Spotted Ag
AG
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
KT_Ag08
AG
According to my math that would get you about 20% of one girl.
Outdoorag011
Dogecoin
Roger That
AG
KT_Ag08 said:

What 20%, specifically?
bigcat22
AG
In the words of Kyle Bass, guns and gold baby
administrative errors
Take 5% and put it into bitcoin/etc.

70%btc
20%eth
10%gamble

What I would do thought is put 50%btc and then the same split.
permabull
AG
Assuming this represents less than 20% of your networth and you are willing to ride out a few bumps, I'd look into health care etfs like hqh or thq which have pretty good yeild so you will get a little bit of cash flow from the investment if that is what you are looking for.
ChiefKiefton
AMC
malenurse
AG
jamey said:

4 months ago I would have said rental property but people are offering 100k over asking on houses now so....perhaps wait and see if it cools back down in 6 months or a year.

My other plan was buy commodities ETF which I did but it's already gone up around 35% in just the last 6 months. I think it may continue but doesn't seem like as much of a sure thing now
Wait, are you complaining about a 35% increase in 6 months?
ABATTBQ11
AG
malenurse said:

jamey said:

He's saying it's not as good of an idea now as opposed to 6 months ago. Now there's more speculation and less room for growth.
jamey
AG
malenurse said:

jamey said:

A little.

My company closed the commodities fund I had 50% of my money in, in my 401K around April 1st so I didn't get the full 35% there, more like 20%

I still made some of it in self managed fund but the total dollars was a lot smaller
jamey
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

malenurse said:

jamey said:

He's saying it's not as good of an idea now as opposed to 6 months ago. Now there's more speculation and less room for growth.

That too. I'm not as confident in how much it goes up from here
JSKolache
AG
I would buy 2 bitcoins and a chunk of 6+% div O&G pipeline stocks
Ogre09
AG
Buy cruise lines:

RCL
CCL
NCLH
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Don't do anything with it for at least six months. Stick it in the bank and don't worry about interest rates or making any money on it right now. Then give it some thought and do some research on your own about what direction you would like to go.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://texags.com/forums/59/topics/3200400
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
woodyhayes
Take that and the rest of your money and move to Roatan .
TikkaShooter
RE Syndicated deal in multi family housing. Many are $75-100K min investment. I'd go that route.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I know you do this for a living and have a lot of realty experience, but how does someone get into this while balancing a 40-50 hr week and family? Do you contract out a lot of the work you're doing on these places?
AG
Can you give me a little more info on this?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The first step is believing it's possible. Believe you can do it and you can. With Tabor, I'm doing 0% of the rehab work myself. I'm going to contract out everything.

If you'd like someone to manage a BRRRR for you from "Buy" to "Repeat", (and even do the Airbnb thing with you) I'd be happy to help. I found a property yesterday that would be an excellent BRRRR. I also offered 408 Tabor to no less than 2 clients because they were looking for properties like it (once rehabbed) and even walked one client through the house, but both parties passed on it, not because the deal didn't make sense, but because they didn't believe.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
tam2002
AG
Buddy of mine swears by the infinity banking concept which is buying dividend growth whole life with accessibility to cash value. Might look into that as something different
ABATTBQ11
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

The first step is believing it's possible. Believe you can do it and you can. With Tabor, I'm doing 0% of the rehab work myself. I'm going to contract out everything.

If you'd like someone to manage a BRRRR for you from "Buy" to "Repeat", (and even do the Airbnb thing with you) I'd be happy to help. I found a property yesterday that would be an excellent BRRRR. I also offered 408 Tabor to no less than 2 clients because they were looking for properties like it (once rehabbed) and even walked one client through the house, but both parties passed on it, not because the deal didn't make sense, but because they didn't believe.

I had a conversation with my wife's uncle the other day that was kind of similar, but based around buying and selling boats, jet skis, and cars, which is what he does. He's done very well at it, and he's sitting on a couple of businesses and property easily worth several million now, but it all came about because he was willing to believe in himself and take risks in buying and selling. I think you're completely right in that respect.

I'd love to take you up on the offer at some point, but I'm not quite there yet. I definitely believe it's possible, but I'm in a different area and may be switching jobs soon. Most of my investment has been in my employer the last several years, which has been lucrative, but I'm getting to the point where I want to move on. If I do, that would free up a significant amount of wealth for these kinds of deals. We're also due with our second kid in July, so there's a lot going on in the BQ11 household.
K_P
AG
tam2002 said:

Buddy of mine swears by the infinity banking concept which is buying dividend growth whole life with accessibility to cash value. Might look into that as something different

What the heck is that?
TikkaShooter
Lots of good articles out there about this. This has also been discussed here before. Do a few searches.

Some basic articles:

https://www.akrascapital.com/syndications101/

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/85836-should-i-buy-a-turn-key-property-or-invest-in-a-syndication

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/86626-the-pros-and-cons-of-investing-via-real-estate-syndication
SMM48
AG
Xle
Vde
Oih
Xop
BucketofBalls99
Hookers and blow....duh!!
Johnny Danger
AG
These what would you do threads pop up often but I enjoy them. It's interesting to see how educated people interested in finance would allocate $100,000 etc. I would go,
40% S&P index fund VOO, 30% SCHD, and 30% VGT.
Cyprian
AG
Syndicated real estate investment would be fun

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
investorAg83
AG
K_P said:

tam2002 said:

What the heck is that?

Cash in a life policy that earns dividends where the loan balance isn't directly recognized.

Long story short:

Can be funded with a single deposit or over multiple years.
Cash earns dividends and interest.
Tax free growth and access

Key feature for the infinite banking usage is the non-direct recognition. 100k in the account that is earning interest and dividends...you then take out 80k tax free to go buy a dip, invest in property, whatever opportunity you run across you need cash for...the original account still receives the full dividend and interest based on the 100k balance even though you're using 80k on something else. This is how Disney got the money for DisneyWorld when none of the banks would give him the cash.

Few people take the time to learn how it works because people like Dave Ramsey have convinced everyone that life insurance is a racket when all it really is is an asset class that can replace cash.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Roger That said:

KT_Ag08 said:

What 20%, specifically?

The part that looks like chewed bubble gum.

Thats the real moneymaker these days.
tandy miller
AG
1939 said:

I'm about to come into a chunk of money that I'd like to invest somehow. I'm not sure what types on investments I would like to get into outside of just sticking it all into the stock market. I have a good full time job so I don't have the time to start my own business and would have limited time for side gigs but its doable, especially if I had a partner. This would be a long term strategy but I wouldn't be mad if I could get a little cash flow out of the deal. Real estate is so high right now I don't know if that makes sense for the time being.

Spend it on a bunch of dogs
FJB
Howdy Dammit
AG
investorAg83 said:

K_P said:

tam2002 said:

What the heck is that?

Cash in a life policy that earns dividends where the loan balance isn't directly recognized.

Long story short:

Can be funded with a single deposit or over multiple years.
Cash earns dividends and interest.
Tax free growth and access

Key feature for the infinite banking usage is the non-direct recognition. 100k in the account that is earning interest and dividends...you then take out 80k tax free to go buy a dip, invest in property, whatever opportunity you run across you need cash for...the original account still receives the full dividend and interest based on the 100k balance even though you're using 80k on something else. This is how Disney got the money for DisneyWorld when none of the banks would give him the cash.

Few people take the time to learn how it works because people like Dave Ramsey have convinced everyone that life insurance is a racket when all it really is is an asset class that can replace cash.

I can see why people don't learn how it works. Cause this 100% sounds sketchy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.