Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Retired with money for the first time advice

6,828 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Horse with No Name
Ags2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My grandmother in-law retired about a year ago at age 78. She is someone who has worked her whole life at pretty low-income jobs and supported many people in her family hence why she retired at that age. She sold her house in Austin and moved in with my wife and I this past week.

Now she has money for the first time in her life since the Austin market is obviously booming. I'm trying to help her with some financial advice so 1) she doesn't blow through the money by giving it to away everyone that asks for a handout, 2) so it is low risk and 3) so she can enjoy it while she still is able-bodied.

Thoughts?
TombstoneTex
AG
In my opinion, at her age it's about wealth preservation not growth. Sounds like she'll have low expenses too. Stick it in a high yield savings account or in bonds. Would be devastating to see a market crash and not have time for it to recover...
SquareOne07
AG
HYC_AG said:

In my opinion, at her age it's about wealth preservation not growth. Sounds like she'll have low expenses too. Stick it in a high yield savings account or in bonds. Would be devastating to see a market crash and not have time for it to recover...

Unfortunately the "capital preservation" strategy isn't as sound as it once was. With people living longer, inflation increasing, and healthcare costs going crazy, it's important that her money continues to work for her.

Depending on how much is there, hold several months of expenses in cash and subject the rest to moderate safe growth she can draw down from when the market is good and tap into cash when the market dips to avoid having to sell at a loss.
Baby Billy
AG
HYC_AG said:

Bad advice
Casey TableTennis
AG
After guaranteed income (I.e SS and pension), what % of assets will be withdrawn in a normal year to cover expenses?

Has she ever invested before?

Is she likely to make it through a market downturn without getting overly scared/pulling the ripcord on the investment strategy?

Does she have LTC coverage? If not, what is plan if she needs care beyond what your family can handle?

Are there legacy objectives or any other factors that would influence decision making beyond herself?

If she exhausted her resources late in life, could/would the family kick in enough to provide her flexibility of choice in care/housing decisions, and the quality/dignity she would desire?
Ags2013
AG
Casey TableTennis said:

After guaranteed income (I.e SS and pension), what % of assets will be withdrawn in a normal year to cover expenses?

Is she likely to make it through a market downturn without getting overly scared/pulling the ripcord on the investment strategy?

Does she have LTC coverage? If not, what is plan if she needs care beyond what your family can handle?

Are there legacy objectives or any other factors that would influence decision making beyond herself?

If she exhausted her resources late in life, could/would the family kick in enough to provide her flexibility of choice in care/housing decisions, and the quality/dignity she would desire?
Thanks for the thoughtful comments from everyone.

Her expenses are very minimal. They will be limited to pretty much her food. She has her monthly benefits she can live off of.

She has never invested before and probably would be scared if we saw a market downturn. My advice to her would be to not check it regularly since the market can be fickle but generally sees 10-14% increases.

No LTC that I know of. Should probably have her look into that. As of now, she is very much able-bodied but need to plan for the next few years.

No legacy objectives. Decision making would be made by her but would be influenced by my wife and I as we have her best interest (hence why she's living with us).

The family doesn't really have any resources. However, we are making every effort to give her that housing flexibility in our home. Luckily my wife is both a hospital nurse as well as a home health nurse so she has the ability to help take care of her.
SquareOne07
AG
Ags2013 said:

Casey TableTennis said:

Thanks for the thoughtful comments from everyone.

Her expenses are very minimal. They will be limited to pretty much her food. She has her monthly benefits she can live off of.

She has never invested before and probably would be scared if we saw a market downturn. My advice to her would be to not check it regularly since the market can be fickle but generally sees 10-14% increases.

No LTC that I know of. Should probably have her look into that. As of now, she is very much able-bodied but need to plan for the next few years.

No legacy objectives. Decision making would be made by her but would be influenced by my wife and I as we have her best interest (hence why she's living with us).

The family doesn't really have any resources. However, we are making every effort to give her that housing flexibility in our home. Luckily my wife is both a hospital nurse as well as a home health nurse so she has the ability to help take care of her.

Should be pretty easy to do this if you wanted to DIY something through vanguard, but if you wanted to work with somebody too as a sounding board and to help with one off questions, I bet they'd be willing to do so at minimal cost (and sometimes those costs are more than justified in the assistance with making wise decisions)
azul_rain
Annuity
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Stive
AG
hedge said:

Annuity

But he said she can live off her monthly benefits and doesn't need additional income. Deferred annuities don't really fit her age bracket.

Baby Billy
AG
hedge said:

Annuity

Really bad advice
azul_rain
Woosh
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Fidelity and vanguard have financial products explicitly for this situation. Look into $VTINX
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Fireman
AG
10% take a luxury trip and enjoy her life and the fruits of her hard work, and if she enjoys spending time with you and your family - you should join her. A trip, that once she dies, you all look back with fond memories and praise God for the blessing that you have those wonderful memories and she got to enjoy that trip.

40% - Cardano ADA

50% - Bitcoin BTC
Ags2013
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Fidelity and vanguard have financial products explicitly for this situation. Look into $VTINX
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
ItsA&InotA&M
Contact assetbuilder.com
Conservative investments with low fees.
It's someone for you to discuss her options with and possibly use.
Scott Burns is (or was) a principle.
Troglodyte
AG
I would encourage her to do whatever is on her bucket list. She shouldn't give anything away to kids/grandkids. It's her money, and her time to enjoy it. At 78, her mobility can change quickly. Don't wait.
Ogre09
AG
Helped my FIL with this earlier this year. Ended up figuring a sustainable annual withdrawal rate. Left 1 year in cash. Put 5 years in bond funds. Put the balance in stock funds. Will roll stock gains to cash fund periodically to keep it funded. If market turns down, will draw on bind fund and not touch stock funds til they recover.
YourFavAggie
AG
ehrmantraut said:

hedge said:

Annuity

Really bad advice
What is your "really good advice"
Eyes of texas Crying
NoahAg
I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
halfastros81
AG
Put what she needs for
Income in dividend & interest paying
Investments . Allocate the remainder across asset classes with better historical long term returns. One of the biggest risks you take take is not taking any risk. Inflation will eat you up.
one MEEN Ag
AG
This might piss some people off here, but here it goes.

When you think of long term care, you need to plan to get all assets out of her name. Medicare and Medicaid examines net worth as far back as the last five years. So that means those conversations need to start today.

Its not right, but LTC will absolutely drain the average elderly person to penniless. My grandparents were 8k a month a piece when they were put in a long term care facility. Their remaining assets quickly dwindled and they got moved to the medicare wing (which was only a moderate step down in facilities). They worked their whole lives on meager wages and victory gardens to see it all wiped out in a year and a half. Their heirs never once cared about an inheritance, but it was definitely demoralizing to see all that was left of my grandparents to bless their children with were the cash in my grandmother's purse and the keepsakes that got distributed before LTC.

Medicare will pay for a very short period of care at a LTC, then your grandmother in law will be on the hook until she is penniless, and then she'll apply for Medicaid and get some LTC care that is hopefully within the same facility.
Jack Pearson
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

This might piss some people off here, but here it goes.

When you think of long term care, you need to plan to get all assets out of her name. Medicare and Medicaid examines net worth as far back as the last five years. So that means those conversations need to start today.

Its not right, but LTC will absolutely drain the average elderly person to penniless. My grandparents were 8k a month a piece when they were put in a long term care facility. Their remaining assets quickly dwindled and they got moved to the medicare wing (which was only a moderate step down in facilities). They worked their whole lives on meager wages and victory gardens to see it all wiped out in a year and a half. Their heirs never once cared about an inheritance, but it was definitely demoralizing to see all that was left of my grandparents to bless their children with were the cash in my grandmother's purse and the keepsakes that got distributed before LTC.

Medicare will pay for a very short period of care at a LTC, then your grandmother in law will be on the hook until she is penniless, and then she'll apply for Medicaid and get some LTC care that is hopefully within the same facility.
That is a good point. I remember my dad having to do that for my grandma 10 years or so ago.

Now my dad is in his 70s and probably needs to start doing the same.

Dads retirement savings has really grown this year to where he has close to 5m and is afraid to see that cut in half if we have a market crash...but he doesnt want to pay more in taxes and take more than his RMD. I dont know what he should do but he needs to reduce his risk and set probably half of that aside in safe keeping.

He also has rental properties which are at all time highs in value, to me it seems like a good time to sell some of them but again he doesnt want to pay taxes. It seems like paying taxes is all he can see or think about.
Baby Billy
AG
Tell him to stop letting the tax tail wag the dog. Everyone hates taxes. If it's hard for him to stomach paying a 15% tax on only his gains, imagine what his stomach will feel like when his entire account drops 15%+ because he didn't rebalance and diversify.
Stive
AG
ehrmantraut said:

Tell him to stop letting the tax tail wag the dog. Everyone hates taxes. If it's hard for him to stomach paying a 15% tax on only his gains, imagine what his stomach will feel like when his entire account drops 15%+ because he didn't rebalance and diversify.

This this this

Lots of people make this mistake so he's not alone, but taxes are only one piece of the equation when it comes to his risk.
Jack Pearson
AG
ehrmantraut said:

I talked to him at lunch about it some....he agreed to some extent. I also brought up selling the rental property.

His argument was what if sells them and puts that money into the market...and market goes down 20%...he lost that value and has zero monthly income off of them.
one MEEN Ag
AG
classof2019 said:

ehrmantraut said:

I talked to him at lunch about it some....he agreed to some extent. I also brought up selling the rental property.

His argument was what if sells them and puts that money into the market...and market goes down 20%...he lost that value and has zero monthly income off of them.
I think a bigger question is how does he plan to convert his investments into the cash for what he needs for the next 30 years?

Is he thinking he's just going to use the rental money and then dip into the investments when necessary? Is he mentally okay with selling off 4k a month in investments to pay for his lifestyle? Thats a big physical hurdle. Does he want to try to invest in dividend stocks that do that automatically for him?

It seems he really likes the monthly dividend created by his rental properties. He doesn't have to sell and just sit in cash, he just needs to find some way to match his age related risk and cash needs.

Jack Pearson
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

classof2019 said:

ehrmantraut said:

I think a bigger question is how does he plan to convert his investments into the cash for what he needs for the next 30 years?

Is he thinking he's just going to use the rental money and then dip into the investments when necessary? Is he mentally okay with selling off 4k a month in investments to pay for his lifestyle? Thats a big physical hurdle. Does he want to try to invest in dividend stocks that do that automatically for him?

It seems he really likes the monthly dividend created by his rental properties. He doesn't have to sell and just sit in cash, he just needs to find some way to match his age related risk and cash needs.

His plan is to convert only the minimum...to live off the RMD and never touch the investments more than that.

He wants to keep his income under 168K annually or whatever the cut off is to stay in the lower tax bracket.

He is 74 so he is having to pull cash or he probably wouldnt be doing that.

He already has some dividend stocks and complains about paying taxes on them too lol...

He definitely likes using the rental income to pay for taxes, for new purchases (mom got a new car last month) vacations etc...he pulls from that account when possible.

Thats fine for the rentals...it gives him income on top of his SS and RMD and it gives him something to do.

My concern is his main accounts has way too much exposure to energy stocks even though he has them in different mutual funds...they are tied to a lot of the same stocks. Back last March he lost quote a bit of value when energy got hammered but of course he is up quite a bit now. At his age he doenst need that...but to move it would require selling and paying taxes pushing him over his income threshold.
halfastros81
AG
I presume some
Of his energy holdings are in Tax deferred accounts like 401k 's or ira's. He can sell within the account and reduce his over exposure and reduce risk without paying any taxes in those. Also don't understand his fascination with the brackets since only the amount over the top
Of the bracket is subject to the higher tax rates.
Casey TableTennis
AG
halfastros81 said:

I presume some
Of his energy holdings are in Tax deferred accounts like 401k 's or ira's. He can sell within the account and reduce his over exposure and reduce risk without paying any taxes in those. Also don't understand his fascination with the brackets since only the amount over the top

Hyper focusing on tax brackets is generally destructive of wealth in my opinion. However there are very narrow bands where it is absolutely worth managing. An example is if a little more income kicks you into a higher band of surcharges for IRMAA on Medicare premiums. QBI phaseout is another where tax impact can be much higher than the marginal bracket. These aren't too common, but having awareness is useful so income avoidance can be managed.
halfastros81
AG
What's QBI?
Casey TableTennis
AG
Qualified Business Income deduction otherwise known by IRS code section 199a.
Jack Pearson
AG
Casey TableTennis said:

halfastros81 said:

I presume some

Hyper focusing on tax brackets is generally destructive of wealth in my opinion. However there are very narrow bands where it is absolutely worth managing. An example is if a little more income kicks you into a higher band of surcharges for IRMAA on Medicare premiums. QBI phaseout is another where tax impact can be much higher than the marginal bracket. These aren't too common, but having awareness is useful so income avoidance can be managed.
His medicare cost is something he did mention in moving to that next tax bracket. I guess its that 168k that really jumps up his and my moms medicare cost a month.
Stive
AG
Even while that's a consideration, it's not the end all be all. It needs to be compared to the other potential risks and costs and future tax issues he may incur.
Post removed:
by user
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Ags2013 said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
vtinx 1.5% yield 13-15 price over 5 years

pty - 7.97 dividend 14 -19.43 price over 5 years
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.