Business & Investing
Sponsored by

what is your favorite oil stock

3,099 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldmanriver
bicmitchum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i own xle but looking for a llittle more pop on an inflation play.last time i was so sure of inflation i lost my ass.around 08 i think
jwright4288
AG
Bought some XOM when it was around $40 (should have bought sooner) mainly for the dividend but it's nice seeing 40% gains on a dividend stock.

Also a fan on EPD and MMP. Both are pipeline companies with huge dividends that I believe are undervalued still. Do look at their debt ratios, can be a point of concern but it pretty standard for pipeline companies. Also you'll have to take into account what you think the trend for oil and gas will be.

I decided no matter how "green" people want to be oil ain't going anywhere anytime soon no matter how many times people say it is and still like oil & gas over the long term.
SMM48
AG
Oih
Yordaddy
AG
VLO
hunterntexas
AG
Picking up HAL at $6.39 was nice.
Getting GUSH at $24.45 was better.
CheeseSndwch
XOM - I jumped all over it at $32.00 back in 2020.
HtownAg92
AG
Picked up APA at $16.43. Went up to over $23 and I missed, but still hovering at $21+.
YouBet
AG
I own XOM and MMP.
12thMan9
AG
The 7+% distribution from EPD sure is nice on the 5K shares I own. The almost 30% run up since last Fall when I bought hasn't hurt either.
Ronnie '88
Diggity
AG
we all bought XOM at their 52 week lows...of course!
YouBet
AG
Diggity said:

My cost basis is about $40.
Red Red Wine
AG
FANG
CVX
OVV

Edit: OXY is around $25 and got hammered for the Anadarko deal, but I think it may have more "upside" left in it than the others.

FANG was a $125 stock before COVID. If oil hits $75, it won't matter which one you are in - you will make money.
PeekingDuck
AG
Diggity said:

Hey, some of us were preaching on that XOM thread. OVV at ~2 was even better. They were caught in limbo between exchanges when it all went to *****
JSKolache
AG
Pipelines. Most are still down at/below 2019 levels giving you upside room + they pay 6-7% divs.
ToddyHill
AG
I bought two midstream operators about a year ago....EPD and MMP. At the time, EPD was paying about 10%, and MMP a little less than that. Their payouts are a little lower now that their stock prices have risen. That said, they were my only stocks that were up today.
12thMan9
AG
I think you mean yields are lower. EPD still paying $1.80/yr/sh distribution.

Most analysts following this have it as a buy w/a target of about $30/sh by year end. That might lead to a sale for me, pay the taxes & find another option. But I'm fine w/the yield as it stands now, passive income!
Ronnie '88
Barnyard96
AG
jwright4288 said:

Bought some XOM when it was around $40 (should have bought sooner) mainly for the dividend but it's nice seeing 40% gains on a dividend stock.

Also a fan on EPD and MMP. Both are pipeline companies with huge dividends that I believe are undervalued still. Do look at their debt ratios, can be a point of concern but it pretty standard for pipeline companies. Also you'll have to take into account what you think the trend for oil and gas will be.

I decided no matter how "green" people want to be oil ain't going anywhere anytime soon no matter how many times people say it is and still like oil & gas over the long term.
Nice tips, thanks. Also, you cant manufacture green technology without materials manufactured from oil and gas.
fulshearAg96
AG
EOG
FaceMask
CVX last year at $50
ToddyHill
AG
Thanks for clarifying what I should have said. Yes, the payout is the same but today's yield is slightly lower.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I bought USO the day futures were like -200% or something crazy last year. It's treated me well.
TheGroupGuy
EOG
FANG
DVN
OVV
XEC
thisguy05
AG
I agree on OXY. They're making progress paying their debt from the merger and you now own two companies for the price of one. I see lots of room to grow.
AgGrad99
AG
RECAF

Bought last year and it's been a good winner for me.
ToddyHill
AG
I bought OXY in the high teens, then sold it in the low teens when I thought it would drop to single digits. Obviously not a smart move on my part.
Red Red Wine
AG
I completely forgot my number one winner.

I bought in at 88 cents initially and boy do I wish I had bought 10K more shares back then.
AgGrad99
AG
Dude...you and me both. I wish I'd bought a lot more than I did.
Red Red Wine
AG
Don't feel too bad.

Ask me about Linn Energy some day when I'm drinking. Never ask me about it when I'm sober.
Ogre09
AG
PSXP

They're at $36 with 9.7% yield. My target price for them is $55 based on pre-Covid pricing. Plenty of upside.
sts7049
AG
RDS. but I'm biased
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Eog and cog

Considering vlo

The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
BlueTaze
RIG
badharambe
AG
surprised no one has mentioned TPL yet. i dont have any but really regret forgetting about it last year.

also, MUR is one I own that has not gotten mentioned yet.
Oldmanriver
RIG,
Not buy and hold, but have done well selling the 7+% pops, then buying the next dip, usually a day or two later...look at the charts

OMR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.