Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best way to finance a pool

7,463 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Showertime at the Bidens
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
drill4oil78 said:

A pool will not add much value to your house. When you sell the house you will be lucky to get 50% of the value out of a pool. Add at least $100 to your electric bill every month + $ for chemical cost.

The happiest two days of your life ... the day you get the pool and the day you get rid of it.
This may be true for some but not me. We've had countless great days in the 11 years of having a pool. It was especially useful last summer when there were limited activities for our kids away from the house. But...it came with the house, so that was nice.

And if you're paying $100 more a month in electricity, then most likely you're either running your pump too much or paying too high a rate for electricity.
Post removed:
by user
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Cash out refi or paying cash for it is the best suggestion I've heard on this thread.

OP - I'm glad I put a pool and backyard area with a fire pit in. I've gotten year round enjoyment from the setup and I would do it again in a heart beat. I haven't found it to be the maintenance albatross everyone talks about. Buy a Polaris, empty the skimmers, brush when needed, and keep the chemistry right, and all is good. It takes less than 30 minutes a week if you're on top of it.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Barnyard96
AG
Have the builder install cooling sprinklers. You can bring down the temp 5 degrees in the summer. At least two with adjustable spray. Three is better.

aggiepaintrain
AG
drill4oil78 said:

A pool will not add much value to your house. When you sell the house you will be lucky to get 50% of the value out of a pool. Add at least $100 to your electric bill every month + $ for chemical cost.

The happiest two days of your life ... the day you get the pool and the day you get rid of it.

false
FJB
78669AG
drill4oil78 said:

This is 1990 type of mind set. Pools use variable pumps now so you won't see a huge up tick in electric. Also in today's market houses with pools are getting dbl their pool investment back.
MAS444
AG
Yeah we debated whether to add a pool to our new build and ultimately decided to do it. It has been a great decision - our young kids are in it almost every day, especially in the summer. It has been a great decision. Automatic/instant entertainment for the kids. Plus they've learned to swim really well - which is invaluable. And our entire electric bill is barely over $100/mo. The pool portion of that is negligible. The gas costs a little bit extra when we use our heater a lot - but that only happens a couple months/year.

Long story short we couldn't be happier with our pool.
Ogre09
AG
Cash out refinance.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Correct it's 100k add in the Austin market. We put one in September, paid cash then refied
Old RV Ag
AG
drill4oil78 said:

Maybe it's an above ground pool and he plans on taking it with him.
Aggiehunter34
S
OutdoorAg said:

I asked this on the Home Improvement Board, but I figured I would ask here as well. Planning on putting a pool in during this upcoming winter, and not sure the best way to finance it. The pool and landscaping improvements are going to costs around $100k. I've currently got about $200-230k in equity in the house. What day you?
A cash out refinance could make sense, depending on what your current rate is for your home loan. I would be happy to take a look at rates for you any time. You can email me at bbailey@gomycity.com
My contact number is in my profile.

Brian
My City Mortgage
Teslag
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Don't be dense. If someone had cash to pay for their pool, why mention home equity?

A pool does very little for home value. Why would anyone take equity out of their home to put it somewhere that doesn't help the home value?

It's a want, not a need. And doesn't make financial sense. Pay for it with cash or don't get one at all. That's my opinion.

Because your home value isn't all there is to life.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol thanks for the 2 week old reply. what a bump
Sully Dog
Get a second job you bum, save up with gazelle like intensity, pay cash. /Dave Ramsy
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Showertime at the Bidens
NTXAg10 said:

Sell the house and buy a new one with a pool.

A good friend was going to do this. He looked for a year or so and houses with pools were priced the cost of the pool over comparable houses. So he just ended up building one.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.