As part of my sponsorship, I am providing my monthly writeup on franchising. Thanks, TexAgs!

Alright, Alright, Alright. For this March post, I'm going to roll out a few thank you's and then walk you through why I am so thankful to have left the corporate world, taken the risk, and now feel like I am living the American Dream.

But, first of all I want to thank all the folks that have reached out, it's been awesome to get to know so many of you all over the last 2 months of my sponsorship. This has been more fun than I could have ever imagined!
Also, thanks to Suzanne and Logan for being great people with killer material to sponsor. You guys are awesome!!!

Over the years of being an entrepreneur, my story seems so familiar with so many and I feel like many of you are/were in my shoes as well. So, today I'm going to walk you all through my journey to franchise ownership and a little about what it's like now.

Please don't take this as a "Look at Me' post but more of an insight of what exiting corporate America for franchise ownership feels like. So here we go.

My Corporate Career
I was always a "Corporate Refugee." Although I served as a manager of a couple of companies and had some success, I always had a hard time working for "The Man." I remember graduating from school and seeing all my friends recruited by consulting firms that offered a crazy poor quality of life with traveling and 80+ hour work weeks and thinking this isn't for me.

I think for me, my wake up call was when I accepted a sales job in Austin, TX for an IT consulting company and I was absolutely miserable. My salary was insanely low, the company didn't have many prospects and I didn't get along particularly well with my boss.

That's when I decided to figure out a new way. I just had zero clue what it was. I was visiting my best friend in Atlanta and he recommended that I speak with a franchise coach. I didn't even know what a franchise coach was.

THE PROCESS
I went through a consultation where I told her I was looking for a business with the 4 R's:
  • Rewarding Personally and Financially
  • Recession resistant
  • Relationships/Networking was a key to growing the business
  • Resistant to tech (Amazon Proof)
I was matched up with 3 businesses...1 of them was Vanguard Cleaning.and when I heard about Vanguard Cleaning, I knew right away this was a perfect match. I understood the need and had excelled in that type of sales model.

My wife and I ended up buying the master franchise (called Regional Developer and more on that model at a later date) for the Greater Houston region. This allowed me to recruit franchisees in the Houston region to build the business.

The American Dream is Born
I opened the business in June of 2010 and remember those first few months like yesterday. Struggle bus city!!! We made a whopping $3,000 in net profit in year one with me not pulling any salary. I had a buddy tell me one day that it sounded like I just bought myself a crappy sales job. And I started to believe him. then the light switch clicked for my business. The perfect storm of high oil prices, a great telemarketing department, delivering great customer service, creating impactful relationships, and differentiating ourselves from competition had us hit our stride in year 2. The business ended up being a profitable, multi million dollar business. I recently sold the business to a strategic investor. My income has allowed me to diversify and buy other investments and realize income potential I never thought was possible.

Just as important as the money I have made is the quality of life it has afforded me and my family. We have unlimited PTO. I can work from anywhere. I am home every day by 4 pm and have the time and ability to go to my daughter's basketball games, play board games with my middle daughter, and go for walks in nature with my 3 year old daughter. I am able to take them to school, eat lunch with them (in non-Covid years). I exercise during the week at 8am. I don't ever 'work' past 4. I use 'work' in parenthesis as once you own your own businesses, it definitely doesn't feel like real work!

To say I have a great quality of life is putting it mildly!

So that's my journey to franchise ownership and the American Dream. If you or anyone you know would like to learn more about business ownership or franchise opportunities, reach out below.

Adam
713-309-6776
www.FranchiseCoach.net