Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Investment Decision Tree

1,298 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone happen to have the investment decision tree pic handy they can post? I've searched online for too long and flat out can't find it.

Basically, it's the one that flows you through when to invest in 401k, IRA, HSA, taxable accounts, etc. Want to pass it onto some friends who are new to investing.

Thanks.
Topher17
AG
YouBet
AG
Thank you!!!
Diggity
AG
don't a lot of folks on here recommend maxing out HSA before filling up the 401K?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
401k up to employer match should always be #1. Then HSA. Then max 401k.
Diggity
AG
right. this flow chart seems to reverse the last two
Topher17
AG
I read it as saying to save 15% for retirement, then max HSA, then max 401k. Not necessarily max 401k before HSA.

I've always gone by:
1. Get your match
2. Max Roth
3. Max HSA
4. Max 401k

Regardless of exactly how you choose to do it, I think the flowchart above is a great tool for anyone new to personal finances.
Diggity
AG
my understanding was maxing HSA before Roth was the way current wisdom.

Is that incorrect?
Topher17
AG
Diggity said:

my understanding was maxing HSA before Roth was the way current wisdom.

Is that incorrect?
I think it is generally personal preference. HSA has better tax advantages for sure, so that wouldn't be the wrong choice by any means.
YouBet
AG
You could argue that you could elevate Max HSA above Max Roth because of it's added flexibility to cover medical expenses in present day. If you don't actually use it for medical expenses then maybe it's a coin toss between maxing Roth first or maxing HSA first.

OTOH, investment options in your HSA are also probably limited compared to your Roth so you might want to do Roth first in that scenario to take advantage of a particular sector or market right now vs later.
Diggity
AG
thanks
RockOn
Just max both, its not that much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.