Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Retirement Accounts

1,377 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
ibdm98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm currently at a crossroads with my retirement account. For the past 20 years, my IRAs have been in index funds spread out between US & international stocks,, bonds, commodities (mainly gold), and real estate (REITs). I'm questioning if I haven't been aggressive enough with my portfolio allocation - specifically too much invested in bonds and commodities.

After following the stock markets thread for a while now, I'm curious if I wouldn't be better served having some mix of index funds with some percentage also in some of OA's mass accumulation stocks.

I have over 20 years left before retirement so my risk tolerance is pretty high. I love the community of this board helping each other so I value the advice here.

I'd love to hear the strategies each of you use in your retirement accounts.
bmks270
AG
With 20 years left before retiring I wouldn't have any bonds. Doesn't mean they aren't good for you, depends on your tolerance for volatility.
OasisMan
AG
im 37,
goal is to reach FI ASAP (realistically 45-50), but not necessarily retire that quickly

my 403b, 457b, & work HSA are all 100% large cap growth
my roth & non-work HSA are 100% options
my wifes roth is 100% small cap growth
my taxable account is predominantly options, some buy/hold/trade

everyones risk tolerance is a bit different
ibdm98
AG
OasisMan said:

When you say 100% options ... you talking straight options (no underlying shares) or covered calls? Also, do you target LEAPs, monthly, weekly, or some combination of all depending on the company?
JR2007
AG
I had the same question, but got lost in the traffic of the other board. Assuming some of these mass accumulation plays are going to take months to years to see their potential, it makes sense to me that I add some of these to my Roth IRA. The indexes I currently hold are at all times highs and with these particular stocks taking a bit of a dive this week, it seems like a great time to try it out. Regarding the mechanics of it (so I don't accidentally incur some tax and mess up Roth contributions), do I just sell the index to my settlement fund and then turn around and contribute that money to the individual stock?
ibdm98
AG
I believe that is correct - as long as you are not taking money out of the roth account, there should be no tax implication (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd love to hear from more people on what your specific strategies are. I'm very green when it comes to active investing but trying to learn as fast as I can (taking OA's seminar on Sat). I'm thinking to start off with in my IRAs that I'll throw 80-90% in index funds and then follow OA's long-term MA stocks using CCs to supplement growth in those accounts.

Curious if anyone else does something similar...
JR2007
AG
Exactly my plan as well. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
OasisMan
AG
ibdm98 said:

OasisMan said:

When you say 100% options ... you talking straight options (no underlying shares) or covered calls? Also, do you target LEAPs, monthly, weekly, or some combination of all depending on the company?
there are tons of options strategies,

I personally do "the wheel" -- I sell weekly puts on stocks/funds I don't mind holding short/intermediate term, & when finally assigned I sell covered calls
JSKolache
AG
Always done 60/40 Large Cap/Mid Cap funds - happy thus far entering year 18
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.