Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Inflation Plays

6,403 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Diggity
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bumping this to continue the discussion.

Lets review some of the suggestions (yoy):
Equities - DOW up 7%, Nasdaq up 9%
Gold - Up 13%
Silver - Flat
Banks - BAC up 16%, JPM down 7% , CITI down 21%, WFC up 32%, Financial sector ETFs are a mixed bag as well.
Bitcoin - down 12%
Real Estate - Average US Home sales price up 14%
Shorting treasury (Burry) - 10 year rate is up 44% yoy, but TBT the 20 year short someone suggested is flat.

I mainly went with increased equity holdings which was a decent place for my money over the last year (especially FANG), but I am now thinking the risk on equities is higher than the value of keeping up with inflation.

Up to this point our inflation has been paired with economic "growth" or at least recovery to pre-pandemic levels. But what does the environment look like when economic growth is slowed by raining interest rates and cost of goods?

So if someone were to think the following where would you park you money?
  • Interest rates continue to catch up to inflation and slow economic growth.
  • Overall slowing of the economy based off of real and perceived increase in cost of goods.
  • Real estate stagnates and sees a significant slowing due to increasing rates
  • Auto industry stabilizes and starts to see more normal conditions with raising rates and supply catch up.

Right now I am thinking commodity ETFs, thoughts on that? other ideas?

Where can you park your money to reduce risk exposure to economic slow down, but not hold a lot of cash to keep pace with inflation?
LMCane
harge57 said:

Ay ideas on an inflation play?

We can argue whether the money printing will continue/create inflation here if we want, but I am under the belief that the money printing will only continue and will create inflationary pressure on the economy.

So my question is how do I play that? I am concerned about the amount of cash I am holding. (roughly 30%)

Any stock suggestions?

Should I buy a rental property? (I hate the property tax effect inflation has though.)

I took all the cash I had on hand in January (about $40K) and every day that the markets were down was buying. also when BTC and ETH were down around 31k and under 2K.

I have a home I purchased in September 2020 as well.

was thinking about trying to use a HELOC on the home to buy another home in Florida, but my buddy who has a great career in real estate says to wait until the coming recession works on the prices.
Diggity
AG
so wait for after the recession to buy real estate....got it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.