Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Coinbase is filing to IPO in 2021

7,637 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by azul_rain
administrative errors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/popular-crypto-exchange-coinbase-files-confidentially-to-take-itself-public-as-bitcoin-price-soars-to-record-above-23000-2020-12-17

Quote:

Cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase has confidentially filed to take itself public, the company said in a blog post on Thursday. Coinbase, founded in 2012, submitted a draft registration statement, or S-1, with the Securities and Exchange Commission, to go public. Coinbase has been at the vanguard of those offering retail investors in the U.S. a venue to buy and sell bitcoin and other nascent digital assets. The announcement comes as the company's CEO Brian Armstrong said that it plans on adding longtime Silicon Valley executive Kelly Kramer to its board of directors, following a long tenure at Cisco Systems Inc. CSCO, +0.22%. The company also boasts Marc Andreessen, co-founder and operating partner at Andreessen Horowitz, one of the world's leading venture capital, as a board member. Reuters in July that it had begun the process of exploring a so-called direct listing. By some estimates, Coinbase has a valuation exceeding $8 billion, as of recent valuations. However, its confidential filing also comes as the platform has seen a number of technical glitches in recent weeks as interest in bitcoins and other digital assets has ramped up. Bitcoin's price BTCUSD, +1.90% on Thursday hit an intraday record high above $23,000, coming about three years after its last high near $20,000 in December of 2017.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Decay
AG
So the question is, is there a market?

If you're into crypto, will you buy "old fashioned" stock?
If you're a stock trader, is there any incentive to buying into a crypto company, especially if they don't even trade crypto?

I feel like the answer is yes, but I guess this will tell us for sure.
administrative errors
Ill be buying stock in cb.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

I am amped.
Fightin2010
AG
I plan to buy this. Exchanges make a killing on the fees especially on high volume days. Yesterday in bitcoin alone Coinbase pro did about $920 million in volume, making a fee on every transaction. They're definitely the leader in on ramp purchasing crypto in the US.
McInnis 03
AG
Going public to bring in USD to show the world BTC is where it's at.
administrative errors
McInnis 03 said:

Going public to bring in USD to show the world BTC is where it's at.
its a bridge between primitive and advanced systems, like AOL was/is to people who couldnt grasp the full nature of the internet.

AOL was king for a long time, and we're quickly reaching computer-incompetent masses adopting bitcoin/crypto at many levels.

I wonder if we'll see coinbase's version of free-cd's/service after crypto-ubiquity and think back to the "good-ol days"
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
ebdb_bnb
Surely you're so rich now you'd have no business posting on TAs but here you are.
SMM48
AG
Sure. Why not.
administrative errors
Wealth is relative.

Where i am, where i have been, where id like to be, im enjoying the journey.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
Pro Ag
AG
I want to think they will do well, but as a publicly traded company they really need to fix their availability when things get heavy. It's not even a joke to say that Coinbase is down when there is a $1k swing either way.
administrative errors
I both agree and disagree.

If they remain the "walled garden" of crypto, then this is a feature not a bug.

There are other entities already out there with their own issues that seem to stay up. Coinbase definitely does not get the sharp end of falling daggers.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
double b
AG
Any updates with this? What are your thoughts about getting in on their IPO?
ac04
03_Aggie
administrative errors said:

Ill be buying stock in cb.

No ***** Never would've guessed.
HelloUncleNateFitch
I'll get in big at 50bn, I was sure they were going to go for 75-100bn valuation.
Malachi Constant
AG
What's the date for the ipo?
Hendrix
AG
I'm in.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Looks like later this month or early March.
Agvet12
AG
bodaciousbood14 said:

Malachi Constant said:

Looks like later this month or early March.

Good bull will keep a look out
administrative errors
https://www.axios.com/coinbase-valued-100-billion-direct-listing-9b43e316-7ff7-4f6a-a1db-4dc2481a93ee.html
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
AggiEE
Seeing so many similarities to 2000.

Be cautious.
administrative errors
https://messari.io/article/coinbase-public-listing-key-highlights-and-valuations?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=ATF&utm_campaign=coinbaseval
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
administrative errors
Direct listing today. Who's buying?
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
double b
AG
I'm going to buy some and see how it goes from there.
SidetrackAg
AG
AggiEE said:

Be cautious.

What you mean?
My Name Is Judge
SidetrackAg said:

AggiEE said:

Be cautious.

What you mean?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
SMM48
AG
in

Only problem with the tech bubble comparison. Coinbase balance sheet looks very good. Ebitda llooks solid. Currently a double over last year which was a double over the year prior.

They do list 27 risks to the company, so it's not like they aren't aware of them

Not a prediction on price movement /market cap potential. Just saying their balance sheet looks pretty solid
AggiEE
FunkyKO said:

in

Only problem with the tech bubble comparison. Coinbase balance sheet looks very good. Ebitda llooks solid. Currently a double over last year which was a double over the year prior.

They do list 27 risks to the company, so it's not like they aren't aware of them

Not a prediction on price movement /market cap potential. Just saying their balance sheet looks pretty solid

The problem is it's anchored to a fugazi
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Nah.
SMM48
AG
To be determined

Half a billion out of gold last week.

Where did it go?
Decay
AG
AggiEE said:

FunkyKO said:

in

BTC is worth more than the British Pound
AggiEE
Decay said:

AggiEE said:

FunkyKO said:

in

BTC is worth more than the British Pound

Okay. Speculative manias happen, it doesn't disprove my point
ac04
fortunately these speculative manias seem to happen every four years (almost like they were programmed in ahead of time) and lead to sustained exponential growth.

AggiEE
ac04 said:

fortunately these speculative manias seem to happen every four years (almost like they were programmed in ahead of time) and lead to sustained exponential growth.

Awesome, someone invented the perpetual money making machine
ac04
they invented a provably finite asset whose decreasing issuance schedule and total supply cannot be changed. it caught on and the demand is growing exponentially thanks to metcalfe's law. you can call it whatever you like.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.