Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Disputed Bank Charges

783 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short, I was charged a small dollar amount from a vendor back in May and didn't pay it any mind since it was less than $5. They did not charge me anything after that until last week, when they submitted two charges two days apart, and the charges were for a MUCH larger amount. We're talking hundreds of dollars.

I noticed the November charges and reported to Chase that I didn't recognize the vendor, don't have record of ever making the charges, and believed them to be fraud. Googling the name of the vendor on the credit statement comes up with nothing.

Chase is telling me they can reimburse me for the small charge in may but that I'm SOL on the bigger charges in November because I failed to catch the first charge within 60 days. I'm SOL on any future charges this vendor makes because of this as well. I've cancelled the card and they've flagged the vendor but that's all they can do.

Is this standard policy at all banks or is this just a Chase thing? The logic is ass backwards to me... I expected them to say "good job for catching the November charges within 60 days, we will fix that for you, but you're too far out for us to do anything on the May charge".
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Foamcows
AG
wait... why does the charge in may have anything to do with the charge in november? Is Chase claiming that because you didnt catch all of the fraud in a timely manner that the most recent fraud is now unactionable?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Foamcows said:

wait... why does the charge in may have anything to do with the charge in november? Is Chase claiming that because you didnt catch all of the fraud in a timely manner that the most recent fraud is now unactionable?

Yes, it being the same vendor/scammer apparently makes them relatable. Despite there being six months of no activity between the charges.

Chase is claiming that because I didn't catch the first fraud in a timely manner... I'm SOL on any later or future fraud if it's committed by the same vendor.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

TXTransplant
I've had this happen with my Capital One card.

Scammers who have stolen your cc number will make small (usually $0.99 or $1 something) "test charges" to see if they go through. If they do, then they will use your number to make bigger purchases.

The couple of times this has happened to me, Capital One noticed the suspicious "test charges" and proactively suspended/cancelled my card. Typically, they send a notification email, but one time that it happened, I didn't even know they had suspended my card until I tried to use it and it was declined. I had to call Capital One to find out why my card wasn't working.

No advice other than to maybe change cards to another company that's better about catching these bogus charges.
30wedge
Tell them the first charge was legit, but dispute the larger ones
Pepper Brooks
AG
This was a debit card so I'd have to move all of our checking/savings accounts. I'm pissed off enough to consider it but am giving my self 48 hours to think it through.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

Pepper Brooks
AG
The cat is already out of the bag. I would have been a bit more strategic if I'd known the policy before I called them.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

TXTransplant
NTXAg10 said:

This was a debit card so I'd have to move all of our checking/savings accounts. I'm pissed off enough to consider it but am giving my self 48 hours to think it through.
Oh, geez, that stinks!

But, honestly, it's why I don't use my debit card for ANYTHING except ATM withdrawals. Everything else I purchase is on a cc, just in case I need to dispute it.

Also, see if Chase will give you any information about the vendor. Then try contacting the vendor directly about the charges.

I did this one of the times my cc was stolen. I didn't have to take it very far because Cap One ultimately reversed the charges, but the vendor may be willing to work with you. Especially if the items have not shipped, yet (assuming the thieves ordered something that must be delivered).

Filing a police report wouldn't hurt, either.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad my Chase card isn't my everyday card.

I've already had Citi catch a fraudulent charge an proactively cancel it and send me a new one. I'd hope they would all do this.

Semi-related: Citi Double Cash is EASILY the best everyday cash back card out there, right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.