Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Need new Homeowners Insurance

2,903 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jak981
oldschool87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What you got?

The Pilot
AG
Liberty Mutual but probably need to shop around.

I'd start with whoever you have for auto insurance.
lotsofhp
AG
I'm a roofing contractor and Liberty mutual and Safeco really cheap out on their claims for what it's worth. I've never priced them for my own home but I'm sure they're rates are low based off my experiences with them.
AggieT
AG
I have been very happy with the service from Liere Insurance.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a referral.
kyle field 94
AG
You should check out PURE.

I have not had to file a home claim, but a friend has and was overwhelmed how well he was treated.

I have have used them for a few auto claims and service is top notch
Swollen Thumb
AG
AMICA
Dirk Diggler
AG
I recently switched from USAA to Allstate. I got better coverage w/ Umbrella added for lower rate. I switched from USAA auto to Allstate auto as well. They tripled my auto coverage for much less.
frankm01
Switched from Liberty Mutual to AAA a few years ago and saved a bunch. Bundled with Auto and PCAT.
Post removed:
by user
Rice and Fries
Jock11 said:

I recently switched from USAA to Allstate. I got better coverage w/ Umbrella added for lower rate. I switched from USAA auto to Allstate auto as well. They tripled my auto coverage for much less.

USAA makes you pay out the ass for insurance it's insane. I asked why my costs went up 12% YOY with no claims and they couldn't give me a reason.
HelloUncleNateFitch
I use Goosehead and they price a bunch of companies. Check with Casey Woodfin, he's an ag.
oldschool87
AG
Jock11 said:

Did that about 4 years ago now Allstate has creeped way up, zero claims, no more kids on insurance...
agAngeldad
USAA has gotten really high. Great service but not sure it is worth it.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Was contemplating an investment in Lemonade and so decided to try out their service for a homeowner's quote. I suggest you try it out. I was impressed and they beat my current insurer Allstate by about $500 per year.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
Cyp0111
We have USAA but it's gotten really expensive the last 3 years. Fear is that you switch for low rate then they increase yoy to get back closer to previous rate.
SteveBott
AG
When my clients ask I refer to Liere, Bryan Massey, or Casey at Goosehead. They both shop multiple companies
CraigSmithAllen
I'd appreciate a shot at earning your business. Independent agent for a family owned agency. Have helped out quite a few Aggies over the years.

craig@smithallen.com
Rice and Fries
Would anyone pay $2600/year for a 2600sf house in North Dallas through USAA?

Does that seem high to you? Should I roll the dice with another insurance agency?
BenRev09
AG
Cyp0111 said:

We have USAA but it's gotten really expensive the last 3 years. Fear is that you switch for low rate then they increase yoy to get back closer to previous rate.
To this point, anyone that's left USAA, have you kept anything (insurance or otherwise) with USAA in case you ever wanted to go back or use their services in the future?
SteveBott
AG
Rice what is the value of the home. My formula is on half of 1% of the value of the home. So 300K home around 1500 per year. That works for the mid range priced homes say 150-450K. It not as accurate for below or above. And Houston is a totally different market and that cannot be used there. Houston it is all about how close you are the to coast. Closer more expensive. Texas City would be twice the cost of Woodlands
RockOn
I have an agent with Goosehead and just have them shop the best rate
RockOn
I had Allstate decline to offer me insurance bc i had some leaves still on my garage when they did an inspection.

told them no thanks and moved on.
Aston04
AG
Use a local independent insurance broker.
CraigSmithAllen
How old is your roof? Either way, I'm confident you can find a better rate, and even better coverage than what you currently have.

Would be happy to help!

Also, my agency doesn't charge any sort of fee on top of the rate.

Craig@smithallen.com
Rice and Fries
SteveBott said:

Rice what is the value of the home. My formula is on half of 1% of the value of the home. So 300K home around 1500 per year. That works for the mid range priced homes say 150-450K. It not as accurate for below or above. And Houston is a totally different market and that cannot be used there. Houston it is all about how close you are the to coast. Closer more expensive. Texas City would be twice the cost of Woodlands

How value is around $390K. Roof replaced in 2018 before we bought it.

Just feels like any reputable/known insurance company is trying to BOHICA (bend over, here it comes again) me just because we live in north Dallas.

My lure to USAA is that I don't think I'd have to worry about them fighting my claims, where as others are offering decent coverage but will they ante up when the time happens?

Basically, I'm just wondering why go with someone other than farmers/all state/USAA if you're worried about if they'll be there when you have to file a claim.

My grandpa always preached to me that insurance was always something you never wanted to pay for until you need it and then you'd be glad you did pay for it. He had insurance for everything, even cremation insurance.
SteveBott
AG
Based on my formula you are high. Should be 2000-2100. But there are many factors I can't know. Credit score, distance from a fire station etc.

reputable insurance companies pay legitimate claims. There are degrees of service but they pay. If a claim is sketchy then who knows. Call my references or others and get a few quotes. Its free.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I dropped USAA years ago because their claim service had gone to ***** Long story short, they tried to deny a claim on my uninsured motorist coverage that was supported by a police report by sending someone they called an investigator to accuse me of making up the accident. He failed, but I shouldn't have had to prove I wasn't committing insurance fraud.
Aggie71013
AG
My gut says you can find stories similar to this for every large insurance company.
I bleed maroon
AG
I acknowledge this is one of my own personal financial blindspots. What I believe and what I do are different, in the case of personal insurance.

For business insurance, we get competitive quotes regularly, and I think people should do the same for their auto/home/umbrella/etc.

I have used State Farm (not known as one of the cheaper insurers) for about 30 years. I am positive I could save money elsewhere, and fully intend to quote the whole package every year. Inertia is powerful, though, and I really like the people I've dealt with. It helps that my only claim (knock on wood) during this time was hail damage to a car. This also tells me I am a relatively good risk, and can save myself some money. But, I've built up comfort and loyalty, and despite knowing better, I stick with what I've got.

As far as claims experience, the poster above is right - every company has anecdotes regarding real or perceived issues from indignant customers. All I can recommend is that if you have a truly good argument (most probably don't, by the way), don't give in - keep fighting, and if nothing else works, file a formal complaint with the state department of insurance. Companies have to respond to these, by law, and justify why they denied your claim.
Matsui
AG
Very high. I'd bet you can get it for same elsewhere for around $120 a month
Matsui
AG
I've kept a checking account open and also do a personal property thru them. That's it. And will shift that away as well.
Post removed:
by user
The Silverback
AG
SteveBott said:

Based on my formula you are high. Should be 2000-2100. But there are many factors I can't know. Credit score, distance from a fire station etc.

reputable insurance companies pay legitimate claims. There are degrees of service but they pay. If a claim is sketchy then who knows. Call my references or others and get a few quotes. Its free.
There is no real way to guesstimate on home insurance costs. An applicants credit score and the year built of the house are the two biggest factors that go into rate. I have insured some homes over $600k in dwelling coverage for under $1000 a year. And then have also had some in the $200k range for well over $2k. Way too many variables to estimate what someone should be paying.
montejr
AG
State Farm

joe@agentjoemonte.com
oldschool87
AG
BenRev09 said:

Cyp0111 said:

To this point, anyone that's left USAA, have you kept anything (insurance or otherwise) with USAA in case you ever wanted to go back or use their services in the future?
Yes, left the cars there...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.