Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anything else you want to dictate to companies?

1,447 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Red Rover
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nasdaq-proposes-board-diversity-rule-for-listed-companies-11606829244?st=00d0rc6qciqzqdq&reflink=article_copyURL_share
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
cgh1999
AG
Aaron Sorkin suggested climate policies this morning on CNBC. It's about time for someone to start the Freedom Stock Exchange!
YouBet
AG
Welcome to 2020 - the year we sanctioned racism and sexism as policy.
Bocephus
AG
cgh1999 said:

Aaron Sorkin suggested climate policies this morning on CNBC. It's about time for someone to start the Freedom Stock Exchange!

There are other exchanges that stocks can be listed on
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
ABATTBQ11
AG
Their exchange, their rules. Welcome to the free market.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Does the company have to publically disclose the white gay male, or does NASDAQ simply keep this list? Insane!

It is their exchange, their rules. But, having the rules changed for existing listed companies does seem a bit unfair. Plenty of time will likely be given to adjust, but calling this a free market move seems disingenuous given the real world costs of listing and changing exchanges.
Red Rover
AG
I foresee a lot of investor lawsuits if they remove a company or even threaten to remove a company based on sexism and racism. The impairment to stock value would be easy to show and that would all happen based on rules that are inherently sexist and racist. I don't actually see anyone moving forward these rules. This smells like a trial balloon destined to fail.
topher06
How minority do you have to be to qualify for fulfilling this requirement? Also, what is the technical definition of Hispanic - specifically, does Spanish blood count?
2wealfth Man
AG
topher06 said:

How minority do you have to be to qualify for fulfilling this requirement? Also, what is the technical definition of Hispanic - specifically, does Spanish blood count?
I eat tacos and enchiladas; does that count?
HalifaxAg
AG
I would gladly buy stocks listed on the new **** Your Feelings Exchange.

FYFE has a nice ring to it.
YouBet
AG
topher06 said:

This. Where is the cutoff? Are you going to have to start submitting a DNA test to prove your credentials? I'm now envisioning a world where you put your DNA makeup in your resume or LI profiles like some folks put their personality traits from StrengthsFinders or Myers Briggs.

Pro tip: figure out a way to highlight that 5% of blood from your ancestors in Africa to get additional credit.

Welcome to dystopia!
Red Rover
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Their exchange, their rules. Welcome to the free market.

Except that there are laws against discrimination and hiring based on race or sex. While we haven't seen it challenged en masse, those laws work both ways. NYSE couldn't decide tomorrow to list only companies run by all straight white males. That's illegal. So is this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.