Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Gold/Silver

1,671 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by I bleed maroon
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this thread is done multiple times a year but what is the current thought on buying gold at $1700/oz (or higher) and silver where it's at?

I'm looking to diversify some of my cash and want to pick up about $10k worth of gold and some silver as well. Where would I go about finding American eagle coins and the like in DFW?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Outdoorag011
Will you need the money anytime soon? I'm heavily invested in both metals as a hedge and not as an investment. Those are long term plays to compliment my 401K and Roth IRA. For me personally it was a 30-50 year decision.

I'm interested in why you want to get into it?
Pepper Brooks
AG
It's a hedge. The same reason I'm in bitcoin.

I also like the idea of being able to give my kids a coin many years down the road. $10k is the first of many purchases I plan to make as I average in.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

ChiefKiefton
I believe everyone should have as much real money as possible. Fiat is doomed. With these current discounted prices, I would load up on gold maple leafs and as many rolls of eagles as possible. Check out Yankee Stacking on YouTube. Great resource for knowledge.
ChiefKiefton
Check out SdBullion and JmBullion online. They have great prices. If you want a local coin shop, find one that's a mom and pop. Not a chain.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Is there any reason to go Canadian maple over American eagle other than the carrot difference? I assume the various years don't mean anything or add/detract value?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

ChiefKiefton
NTXAg10 said:

Is there any reason to go Canadian maple over American eagle other than the carrot difference? I assume the various years don't mean anything or add/detract value?

Different years have different mintage numbers, so it can certainly add/detract premiums. I just personally like maples for their .9999 purity. It really comes down to preference.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Is older better? Also, is it typical to buy over spot?

There is a shop in DFW with five maples @$100 over spot and I'm trying to make an informed decision. Open to suggestions on other locations to look at as well.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

zgolfz85
AG
glad this thread popped up OP b/c I'm looking to do the same.
ChiefKiefton
There will always be a premium, and certain years will carry higher cost. Don't get caught up in that though. Just go with the lowest available. 100 isn't bad and if you compare to online prices then that's on par or better. If it's under 1,900 then I would say go for it.
NastyNate
I'll second JM Bullion. I have used them frequently. They have very reasonable prices. They had Black Friday pricing for maples $50 over spot and bars $25 over spot. Running some other specials today for Cyber Monday.

Their normal pricing for maples is about $75 over spot.
Outdoorag011
$100 over spot is pretty high. I would shop around your area and many of the big bullion site are having Black Friday/cyber Monday deals. JM bullion and SD bullion are good. Apmex has the biggest selection but higher prices. Shoot me an email if you have any questions. I've been buying and selling for quite a while.

outdoorag011@yahoo.com
I bleed maroon
AG
I have used Colorado Gold in the past - they were the most competitive at the time on pricing and fees. Some of these Black Friday deals sound pretty good. It's best to go with someone reputable with an established history, preferably with a confirmation from someone you know. Scams do happen in this industry.
Pepper Brooks
AG
SD Bullion is under $50 over spot and it sounds like enough of you vouch for them to make me feel comfortable with it. They appear to insure all of the orders so I'm going to roll the dice with them. Thanks for all of the feedback.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

Yukon Cornelius
AG
You should buy both gold and bitcoin.
TxLawDawg
AG
I suggest checking out Texas Precious Metals (www.texmetals.com). Aggie owned and operated and based in Shiner, Texas.
JuCo CH46
I second TPM.
FlowCtlr
AG
Just curious... does anyone put their money in gold trusts like CEF?
Outdoorag011
I personally don't. I'd rather have the physical in my possession.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Side question on that for those of you who are in gold trusts, exchanges, securities, etc. How do you feel about those investment vehicles compared to something like Pax Gold? It's a crypto coin fully secured by physical gold.

Would you be more likely to invest dollars into something like that or one of the other investment vehicles mentioned?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

I bleed maroon
AG
NTXAg10 said:

Side question on that for those of you who are in gold trusts, exchanges, securities, etc. How do you feel about those investment vehicles compared to something like Pax Gold? It's a crypto coin fully secured by physical gold.

Would you be more likely to invest dollars into something like that or one of the other investment vehicles mentioned?
My own opinion is that I'm not buying for a cataclysmic scenario, so an EFT like GLD is just as safe, even in a doomsday situation. I'm using metals (including physical silver, FCX, VALE, and GLD) mostly as a pure counter-cyclical asset class, and as an inflation hedge over time (it's a very minor part of my holdings).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.