Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Kids Roth Question

1,902 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by permabull
1Aggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our 16 yo has a little PT gig so I'm thinking about opening him a Roth IRA. We would contribute the $6K but my question is does he have to make a certain amount to make this work or are we good so long as he has reportable income?
AgCPA95
AG
1Aggie99 said:

Our 16 yo has a little PT gig so I'm thinking about opening him a Roth IRA. We would contribute the $6K but my question is does he have to make a certain amount to make this work or are we good so long as he has reportable income?
it is limited to the lesser of the amount of earned income or the IRS limits.
Kid's Roth

** I'm not your CPA (disclaimer)
1Aggie99
AG
Appreciate the feedback
JamesBREI06
AG
My name is kiiiiiiiid. Kid Roth
Whoop!
Beerosch
AgEng06
AG
JamesBREI06 said:

AgCPA95
AG
inoffensive username said:

One of the big brokers needs to be all over this for a TV commercial.
Mookie
AG
Haven't laughed that hard on TA in a long time.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Great question that I would also like to know. Don't have kids but always been something I was curious of... Start having your kids mow lawns at an early age for their neighbors and then push $6K into their Roth IRA every year lol.
permabull
AG
Make sure you have them file taxes and claim that income if you are going to have them contribute to a roth.
gigemhilo
AG
hypeiv said:

Make sure you have them file taxes and claim that income if you are going to have them contribute to a roth.
This! but yes you can do that. In fact I did that this year for 2 of mine.
permabull
AG
The money guy podcast brought this up on their show this morning. It's called a custodial roth and he files a tax return for his daughters babysitting money to keep it on the up and up. He also gives her a 1:1 match to encourage her to get in the habit of savings. Obviously she is capped by the total amount of earned income.

But she is 17 years old with over 5k in a roth. Even if she never puts another cent in it, when she is 65 yo it would be worth over $300k (assuming a 9% annualized return)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.