Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Economics Book Recomendations

1,505 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shiphunt
Chamonix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a good handle on personal finance, business etc. but want to learn more about economics. Any good book rec?
CDUB98
AG
Start with a book called Naked Economics.

It lays out the basics from a slightly left of center, but still capitalist, viewpoint. Even has some small humor. Very well done book for basics.

From there, you can branch out into Macro and Micro YouTube videos and books.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I enjoyed the Freakonomics books because they did a good job of teaching while entertaining.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Before you get deep into Friedman (the absolute best), start with Frederic Bastiat's 'The Law' as it sets a lot of groundwork why we started as a Free Market society.
Diggity
AG
Naked Money is also a good one by the same guy.
CDUB98
AG
Diggity said:

Naked Money is also a good one by the same guy.

It is, but it repeats many of the things in Naked Economics. There's new information for sure, I was just a bit disappointed in the amount of overlap.
CDUB98
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Before you get deep into Friedman (the absolute best), start with Frederic Bastiat's 'The Law' as it sets a lot of groundwork why we started as a Free Market society.

If you are starting from ground zero, which I assumed, this is definitely your next step.

Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations is also a classical economic base.
YouBet
AG
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is recommended by many. I'm currently reading that off and on. Fairly easy to read.
cohibasymas
AG
Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt
GE
AG
A second for basic economics. If you want to go one step lower in how to think about things, Knowledge and Decisions by Thomas Sowell is I think the smartest book I have ever read, particularly the first part.
YouBet
AG
GE said:

A second for basic economics. If you want to go one step lower in how to think about things, Knowledge and Decisions by Thomas Sowell is I think the smartest book I have ever read, particularly the first part.
Never heard of this. Will check it out.
mazag08
AG
Once you get a little deeper..

My favorite topic related to economics is inflation. There's literally a million sources who all claim to know about inflation. But its still one of the most hotly contested topics in the industry. Classic Keynesian vs Austrian debate.
GE
AG
Anyone read Marx's Capital? It's on my list but based on how horribly written the Communist Manifesto is I'm not looking forward to getting through it
Mostly Foggy Recollection
GE said:

Anyone read Marx's Capital? It's on my list but based on how horribly written the Communist Manifesto is I'm not looking forward to getting through it

Yes, it's a long book of jealousy and rage... about what you would expect.
Cramp00
freakonomics podcast
shiphunt
AG
The Uses of Knowledge in Society and then The Fatal Conceit by Hayek, Capitalism and Freedom and then Free to Choose by Friedman.

Then Mishkin's classic textbook on money, macro, and banking. This is literally all you need.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.