Business & Investing
Sponsored by

IRS Help

2,972 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by combat wombat™
oldschool87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have an IRS Contact.

IRS loses my 13 return. Never says a word. I file my taxes for 14, 15, 16 and 17. They then start sending me demand letters for money. Had no idea why, after a dozen phone calls, they finally figure out my 13 return was missing. Well my 12 return had a 3500 credit balance applied to 13. 13 owed about the same. So it was a wash.

The disallowed the credit because it was older than 3 years. So instead of 0.00 I owe 3300 for 13 and that rolls forward to 14 15 16 and 17.

This is a !#$!@#%@#$^#^ing nightmare. The IRS is never use to talking to someone who actually does not owe the money, so its like talking to a brick wall.

This started almost 3 years ago....

I just need someone with a shred of common sense.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
oldschool87 said:

IRS loses my 13 return. Never says a word. I file my taxes for 14, 15, 16 and 17. They then start sending me demand letters for money. Had no idea why, after a dozen phone calls, they finally figure out my 13 return was missing. Well my 12 return had a 3500 credit balance applied to 13. 13 owed about the same. So it was a wash.

The disallowed the credit because it was older than 3 years. So instead of 0.00 I owe 3300 for 13 and that rolls forward to 14 15 16 and 17.

This is a !#$!@#%@#$^#^ing nightmare. The IRS is never use to talking to someone who actually does not owe the money, so its like talking to a brick wall.

Federal worker and common sense.... does not compute, unless it's a military operation.

And sorry I don't have better advice. 3300 bucks isn't worth lawyering up over IMO unless you want to make an example of them and have cash to burn.
double b
AG
Message me. I may have a contact for you.
oldschool87
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

oldschool87 said:

Federal worker and common sense.... does not compute, unless it's a military operation.

And sorry I don't have better advice. 3300 bucks isn't worth lawyering up over IMO unless you want to make an example of them and have cash to burn.

It's not 3300... instead of a 3300 credit on 12... they disallowed it. So that's now 6600... plus penalties interest and whatever Other BS they thru in there. Suffice to say it's more..
oldschool87 said:

oldschool87 said:

It's not 3300... instead of a 3300 credit on 12... they disallowed it. So that's now 6600... plus penalties interest and whatever Other BS they thru in there. Suffice to say it's more..

10-4. Hell, I say make an example, but from here on out I'd have one hell of a CPA and lawyer. I'd like to think they are above water, but it is a Gov agency.
gigemhilo
AG
Call the taxpayer advocate hotline and explain the situation. Do you have a copy of the 2013 and/or proof of when it was filed? make sure you have that as well.
oldschool87
AG
gigemhilo said:

Call the taxpayer advocate hotline and explain the situation. Do you have a copy of the 2013 and/or proof of when it was filed? make sure you have that as well.
I have every return with supporting documentation back to 1990. am Anal about my returns... They have every return and documentation they could possibly have. They will not allow the credit on the 13 return to roll forward. So I am now short 3300 dollars times 5 returns... plus penalties plus interest for something they did.

I get 99.99999% are guilty, but when your not, you cant get past them thinking you are.

I just spent the last week, proving to them that they cashed my check for my 2019 return. The lady was sir we don't show the payment. Yes Maame, that is why I am calling. I am looking at the cancelled check in front of me cashed by the Austin division, you want the numbers off the back?

Sir you need to mail us a copy of the front and the back.. Yes Maame, I already did that, 2 months ago. When you sent out the first letter. If you check your records you will see I called and mailed it in.

Yes, I see that. OK let me transfer you to another department that can help you. click click click, dial tone.

Call back 30 minutes later talk to someone, in a different department, start all over, after 45 minutes and being put on hold every 7 minutes. She finally says I don't see any payment for that amount, yes maame, that is why I am calling. Can you read me the numbers off of the back of the check...

45 minutes and on hold ever 7 minutes. OK, your check is applied to your 2019 return. You mean the check that says apply to 2019 return, my name and the last 4 of my social in the memo part of the check., is that the check you applied to my 19 return??? She says yes.

She then says, you know you are in collections right. No, I don't know that. the last letter you sent me was you were looking at my 13 return and would let me know what your decision was. I called every month for 6 months, then COVID happened and have not been able to get thru to you as you were closed and I have now heard nothing in over a year.

Sir, your in collections. Maame, did you not hear a single thing I just said? Sir you will have to call collections and discuss it with them. Can you transfer me, yes, click click click, dial tone.....
gigemhilo
AG
yes that sounds like normal conversation with the IRS.

Do you have evidence of WHEN you sent in the return. Also, have you tried to call the taxpayer advocate?
Such a criminal organization.
30wedge
oldschool87 said:

gigemhilo said:

So I am now short 3300 dollars times 5 returns

Say what?
lockett93
AG
Im guessing your 12 had a 3500 refund and you applied it to 13. Then you were due a refund in 13 and asked to apply it to 14. (But they didn't get the 13).

The rule is that you get 3 years to file a return and claim a refund.

The penalty for not filing the 13 would be zero if you were due a refund, so the only "missing" money would be the refund from 13 not applying to the next year.

I'd also suggest you start with a taxpayer advocate.

LOYAL AG
AG
I got hate mail six weeks after filing my 1120S that said I'd filed that return 4 months late. Turns out six weeks after they sent the hate mail they processed my extension request, a full FIVE MONTHS after I mailed it in. They're a mess on a good day but there ain't no good days in 2020.

Concur on the taxpayer advocate.
oldschool87
AG
lockett93 said:

Im guessing your 12 had a 3500 refund and you applied it to 13. Then you were due a refund in 13 and asked to apply it to 14. (But they didn't get the 13).

The rule is that you get 3 years to file a return and claim a refund.

The penalty for not filing the 13 would be zero if you were due a refund, so the only "missing" money would be the refund from 13 not applying to the next year.

I'd also suggest you start with a taxpayer advocate.

They lost the return... took 5 years to tell me...
gigemhilo
AG

Such a criminal organization.
I wouldn't say they are criminal - they are not "out to get you" and most of the employees I have talked to are very nice people.

They are just very very very very very very very inefficient and disconnected from each other.

To have a real conversation about it, though - IRS auditors were using DOS based computer programs as recently as 5 years ago. I think that has recently changed, but they are still way behind the curve when it comes to technology. They needed a complete overhaul of their computer systems and logistics. I was hopeful that COVID would force them to do it, but it has been a holy mess. On top of that, they sent most of their employees home to work and they were not anywhere near ready for that.
combat wombat™
AG
Do you have proof that you file the tax return in a timely manner? In other words, did you mail it via certified mail? Did you get a return receipt?

Send them a letter with the receipt proving you filed it on time. Send them a copy of the return you filed with the letter.

If you prepared and filed all your tax returns from 2014 through 2019 without regard to the $3500 overpayment from 2012, then you should still be overpaid by $3500. Did they send you a check to refund you for this $3500 at any time? If so, did you cash it?

Because of coronavirus the IRS is super slow right now. You may get more peace of mind by preparing this letter and sending it to them and just waiting to hear back from them.

Anytime that you send anything to the IRS make sure to send it certified mail with return receipt requested. The certified mail proves you mailed it on time; the return receipt proves they got it.

30wedge
combat wombat said:

Do you have proof that you file the tax return in a timely manner? In other words, did you mail it via certified mail? Did you get a return receipt?

Send them a letter with the receipt proving you filed it on time. Send them a copy of the return you filed with the letter.

If you prepared and filed all your tax returns from 2014 through 2019 without regard to the $3500 overpayment from 2012, then you should still be overpaid by $3500. Did they send you a check to refund you for this $3500 at any time? If so, did you cash it?

Because of coronavirus the IRS is super slow right now. You may get more peace of mind by preparing this letter and sending it to them and just waiting to hear back from them.

Anytime that you send anything to the IRS make sure to send it certified mail with return receipt requested. The certified mail proves you mailed it on time; the return receipt proves they got it.

I also suggest writing the certified mail receipt number on the first page of the return (or any other document you send them (or anyone else). A friend of mine mailed the IRS something certified mail, return receipt. The IRS position was they never got it. He produced the certified postmark as well as the green card. They said that only proved he mailed them something, but not necessarily what they said they did not have. They could still argue that, but if you have a track record of writing the number on the enclosed document I think it would be in your benefit in appeals or in court if it ever came to that.

The IRS has been in a losing thing mode recently.
oldschool87
AG
See above for how organized they are...
combat wombat™
AG
True. I keep a small supply of the green certified mail receipts and return receipts in my office so that I can prepare them prior to heading out to the post office.
Romello
And some of you want them to run our Healthcare system. SMDH
ABATTBQ11
AG
30wedge said:

combat wombat said:

I also suggest writing the certified mail receipt number on the first page of the return (or any other document you send them (or anyone else). A friend of mine mailed the IRS something certified mail, return receipt. The IRS position was they never got it. He produced the certified postmark as well as the green card. They said that only proved he mailed them something, but not necessarily what they said they did not have. They could still argue that, but if you have a track record of writing the number on the enclosed document I think it would be in your benefit in appeals or in court if it ever came to that.

The IRS has been in a losing thing mode recently.

Submit online. That way they acknowledge receipt as well as content. If mailing, take a video of you enclosing whatever you're mailing and the tracking number. Gonna be hard to dispute that.
combat wombat™
AG
Submit online?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.