Business & Investing
Sponsored by

So the IRS is FIVE MONTHS Behind

1,693 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieT
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I own an S Corp and do my own taxes. I rarely file on time and always send a paper extension. This year I sent it on March 14 then filed my business when I filed my personal on July 15. Two weeks later I got hate mail saying my 1120S had been filed late and there was a penalty of close to $2000 due by August 31. My assumption was that the notice wasn't postmarked by the Post Office which is annoying but shame on me for not asking.

I called the Infernal Revenue Service not once, not twice but three times in August trying to ask for the First Time Abatement where you can get a late penalty reversed if it's been awhile since you've had one and it has been. After 62+ minutes on hold a really friendly and helpful agent (not a joke, she was great) got on the phone and checked my account. She said they had in fact received my extension and that it had been applied to and there was no balance due. The processing date for that extension? August 25th!!!

So the IRS is sending out hate mail for late filings when they are FIVE MONTHS behind processing the mail. Honestly I'm not surprised they are five months behind but I am surprised nobody thought to turn off the hate mail machine. Oh hell, no I'm not.

Anyway thanks indulging my dear diary moment!
AggieT
AG
I spent over an hour on hold two weeks ago, as they still have not cashed my check. I was told that they are aware of the issue, and that they are missing several TRUCKS of mail.

I can't wait to vote by mail.
FattyDelights
Yup, IRS is a **** show and I swear they send audit notices like that on purpose as I bet some people just pay.
Biz Ag
AG
This is a true story.

Years ago I worked in public accounting. The managing partner of the firm had a doctor client who received a delinquency notice for filing a payroll tax return late. The managing partner had a co-worker of mine contact the IRS. Rather than getting the client sign a POA form, my co-worker contacted the IRS directly purportedly as the good doctor (not recommended).

Co-worker: (contacting Houston IRS office) I'm calling about delinquent tax notice I received from the IRS.

IRS: Hold, please. (on hold 5-10 minutes)

IRS: Yes, sir - how may I help you?

Co-worker: Yes, I received a delinquency notice concerning payroll taxes, and -

IRS: Payroll taxes? I'll have to transfer you, sir. (on hold another 10-15 minutes)

IRS: How may I help you, sir?

Co-worker: I received a notice concerning a delinquent payroll tax return -

IRS: Form 940 or 941, sir?

Co-worker: Form 941.

IRS: I'm sorry, sir - another department handles quarterly payroll tax returns. I'll need to transfer you. (on hold another 10-15 minutes).

IRS: How may I help you, sir?

Co-worker: I'm trying to clear up a notice I received about a delinquent 941 form -

IRS: I'm sorry, sir - you'll have to contact the Austin service center regarding that notice.

Co-worker: G-d dammit (hangs up phone).

IRS: Austin service center, how may I help you?

Co-worker: (provides doctor's name and taxpayer ID) I have a question about a Form 941 delinquency notice.

IRS: Please hold, sir.

Co-worker: No I will not hold, g-d dammit. I've been on ****ing hold with your Houston office for 45 g-d damn minutes!

IRS: I'm sorry, sir, but I will have to place you on hold.

Co-worker: G-d dammit, you're so ****ing inept, no wonder people are trying to blow up your buildings (slams down phone).

This was a couple of years after the OKC bombing. The good doctor received a friendly visit from the FBI the very next day. My co-worker saved his job by the skin of his teeth because he confessed to making the threat.
AggieT
AG
Aaaand, I have a bill from the IRS in my mailbox. Including failure to pay and interest charges.

What a joke.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.