Business & Investing
Sponsored by

RV Rental Business Question

1,884 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 30wedge
Dwjdvm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My cousin just bought an RV and was telling me about renting it out when he is not using it so that it pays for itself and possibly make some money. He bought an $80,000 RV with a 20 year note, his monthly payments are about $400. There is person/group that is storing it, doing routine maintenance and managing the renting of it for $250 a month. The money that is made from renting it is then split between them (Not sure if it is 50/50 or split differently). It was recommended to him to sell the old and purchase a new RV every 30,000-50,000 miles. He has had the RV for 2 months and has received $3,000 so far after the expenses (I'm sure that number will fluctuate throughout the year). Seemed interesting to me, but I think I am going to wait and see how he feels about the deal in a year from now. Has anyone done anything like this with an RV or have any thoughts on it? Thanks
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Interesting, indeed. I wonder if this is sustainable after covid dies down...I believe RVs are in the midst of a boom right now due to people just wanting to go somewhere.
gig em 02
$250/month and he has received $3,000 after 2 months?

Edit: I guess thats the management fee. How much is he renting it for?
Furlock Bones
AG
gig em 02 said:

think he's saying the guy pays $250/month for the management and maintenance of the RV.
montejr
AG
I think that was an expense
montejr
AG
montejr
AG
gig em 02
Furlock Bones said:

gig em 02 said:

think he's saying the guy pays $250/month for the management and maintenance of the RV.
I was about to sell everything I own and travel the world in an RV for that price
Dwjdvm
AG
My cousin pays $250 a month for storage and management so his monthly costs are about $650 with the loan payment. They split what ever is made from renting it. I think they are renting it at around $350 a night. They had someone take it for 2 weeks and then someone else take it for a weekend.
nonameag99
20 year note on an RV is crazy. They are usually falling apart after 5 years especially with heavy use
halfastros81
AG
I haven't rented an RV for several yrs but $350 a day sounds really high. I rented one a few yrs back for 2 weeks and I paid slightly over $200 a day. That was pretty much in line with what I had rented them for pehaps a dozen times over the past ten yrs. Maybe Covid-19 has skewed the market upwards that much... I dunno for sure. Maybe $350 a day includes bumper to bumper insurance but that's a cost above and beyond the note
n_touch
My concern would be renting to people that don't know anything about an RV. You may make some money, but in the long run it seems that it could be something that would not be well taken care of.
Ragoo
AG
I wonder if you could do something with a bumper pull or similar and park it at someplace like Rockin R in New Braunfels. Then rent it out like a VRBO cabin.
Goose06
AG
1. Commercial insurance is required here and its significantly more than normal insurance so be sure to look into that.

2. I have done this for about 4-5 years now, would not recommend if you think its a money making endeavor. I rent my RV out through American Dream Vacations during the offseason and then use my RV during the football season. The wear and tear is real. Just spent several grand to replace all the upholstery on the furniture. Everytime I pick it up something else isn't working correctly whether that be the generator, the audio video stuff, the awning, etc. Also, the last 2 months are not indicative of a normal month. This summer has been one of the best set of months in the history of my renting my RV in terms of utilization.
drill4oil78
AG
I have a Class A motorhome and would never rent it out. How do you treat a rental car + most people do not know how to drive a Class A or have a license to drive one. The depreciation on an RV is terrible + the insurance cost would be very high if you rented. Insurance is high just for personal use.
Premium
AG
I would take $350 a day for wear and tear.

Let's say he's all in for $100K on this endeavor. That is 285 rental nights at $350. Seems very doable. I wouldn't go buy 5 or these but if it's for personal use as well I think it's smart to rent out along the way. Seems like it can pay itself back within 3-5 years.
n_touch
It may take a while at that price to get to 285 days rented. They are hot right now, but it is something that can die off quickly. Also keep in mind it only takes one instance with someone not emptying a tank, setting up the jacks wrong or many other things to screw up a 100k rig.

SMM48
AG
Never would rent out motor home.

Rag out city.

Insurance cost through the roof. And don't lie about a claim. That's fraud.
Agswinning
Standard insurance will not cover it. You will have to buy a specific policy and it's expensive, as the risk of loss is significant. The owner of the auto is who gets sued when someone has a bad car wreck (see Thomas J Henry commercials or similar).
30wedge
Ragoo said:

I wonder if you could do something with a bumper pull or similar and park it at someplace like Rockin R in New Braunfels. Then rent it out like a VRBO cabin.
I think that would be preferable to letting people you don't know and who may not know a thing about RV's tow one all over. Those things are typically in bad shape within four or five years and the more time they are hauled around the faster that can happen. You might get lucky with three or four renters in a row, maybe even ten. But eventually some dufus is going to mess up a slide out, or back into something, or abandon it somewhere because he had an emergency back home or back at work, etc. We have had an RV park for 5.5 years and in that time I have had less than 10 people looking to rent an RV itself.

My son is looking for some property at the beach to do just what you suggested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.