Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Private Equity vs Bank

1,616 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cyp0111
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've seen this back and forth for a while. PE backed companies vs companies working off bank loans.

What's the real upside to PE vs Bank Financed growth for a business? Connections?
fairviewcrew
It's all a cost of capital equation....

Bank loans will historically be much cheaper source of financing, as PE funding has a heavy equity component (so they get a lot of the upside)

But most new companies can't get bank financing out of the gates (due to lack of assets).... thus they have to take PE Capital

fka ftc
Fairview absolutely correct. Get bank financing as the terms will be much more agreeable. Only reason to go PE route is because you cannot get bank financing.

Only caveat I can think of is if you needed to show equity vs debt for some sort of financial statement purposes - for instance if bidding on contracts or needing to secure bonding / surety support.
Removed:09182020
AG
It always depends on the needs of the business. Two reasons I've seen business that had access to PE or Bank financing take PE financing:

1. Team expertise - Some PE firms have a staff of ex-McKinsey / Bain / BCG ready to jump in as VPs / CSuite and next level the business. The people that got you from A to B might be highly competent crushers but lack the skills to go from B to C.

2. Liquidity event - Some founders want to both grow their business and cash out some of their sweat equity today to compensate for deferred purchases that were invested into the business (ie a house, shored of retirement savings, a 50-foot yacht) . Hard to cash out your equity with a bank loan.
Cyp0111
Depending on industry private credit (assume you're talking about PE debt side) do loan on a non-resource level and will advance at a higher rate with a structure that may be more scalable.

With that comes higher rates, more lender control and more aggressive lender action if you bust a covenant.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.