Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Other investing/wealth storage avenues

3,396 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by QBCade
Outdoorag011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone here buy anything that would be considered different in the world of wealth preservation/investing. A guy I talked to today buys Rolex watches as an investment/wealth preservation. He says it's only 2% of his overall portfolio but I've never really thought about something like that. Does anyone do anything like this? I think it's pretty cool and a way to have some fun.
Stive
AG
IB4 guns and booze.
dlp3719
AG
Guns, Booze, Art, Sports Collectibles, Comics, Cars. If you have best most sought after item in a collection category, they tend to go up in value.

Spider-Man #1, Shelby Cobra, early 1900s Macallen, Michael Jordan's shoes from an important game, Honus Wagner baseball card, etc etc
SMM48
AG
Ammo
topher06
Cocaine.
RockOn
Farmland (capable of actually producing a crop/hay/forage) is a good option. Not much for price appreciation, but a net rents are okay. Financing is decently cheap through Farm Credit too.
MaxNumberOfCharactersIs01
Pokemon cards and garbage pail kids cards
bmks270
AG
I think some ultra rich also buy gems and diamonds. Jewels and watches are pretty easy to convert into cash.
Ragoo
AG
POG slammers
TY beanie babies
Dr. Doctor
AG
Legos

Seriously.

Vox article

Telegraph Article

~egon
NoahAg
10 year old me thought he was a genius for amassing a 10,000 baseball card collection. Unfortunately, 99.99% of my 80s-90s cards are literal garbage. Stupid stepdad was right when he told us "they're only worth what someone is willing to pay you."
62strat
AG
I have a few guitars that are worth more than what I paid (Fender strat and taylor).. but I don't ever intend to sell them, so not really an investment.
Hendrix
AG
I have about 5% of my NW in high end sports memorabilia and rare art that's extremely limited/high demand in any market and liquid.
Mas89
AG
RockOn said:

Farmland (capable of actually producing a crop/hay/forage) is a good option. Not much for price appreciation, but a net rents are okay. Financing is decently cheap through Farm Credit too.
Actually the price appreciation has been phenomenal around most Texas metro areas. Just imagine buying it 20 years ago within an hour of Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Just to name a few areas.
YouBet
AG
I collect Apple power cords. I have seemingly hundreds of them for some reason.

I will sell these for $10 a piece. Who wants one?
itsyourboypookie
NoahAg said:

10 year old me thought he was a genius for amassing a 10,000 baseball card collection. Unfortunately, 99.99% of my 80s-90s cards are literal garbage. Stupid stepdad was right when he told us "they're only worth what someone is willing to pay you."

They are coming back!

Might need to dust them off
GE
AG
Fully automatic firearms have appreciated pretty reliably since they became scarce. Something like double digits annually for 30 years when I looked a few years ago
The Dog Lord
AG
topher06 said:

Cocaine.

Don't forget the hookers
gggmann
AG
The wife is Thai, so we have a lot of Thai gold (jewelry & bars) stashed in the house. She buys more every year when we go visit her family. It's 23 karat, so you can imagine how soft and malleable the jewelry pieces are.
94chem
62strat said:

I have a few guitars that are worth more than what I paid (Fender strat and taylor).. but I don't ever intend to sell them, so not really an investment.

Username checks out.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Land
insulator_king
AG
M1 Garands from CMP.
Gator92
AG
IMHO collectibles, non-dividend stocks or anything that doesn't produce income is not an investment.

Speculation only.

I have often thought of buying a dump truck, putzmeister, dozier, tow truck or other heavy equipment. Offer enterprising individuals leases or solicit partnerships that pay a quarterly distribution. Not exactly a "passive" activity. But once you get it rolling, would be easy to manage.

You can start by buying a lawnmower for the kid down the street. Or better yet, buy one for your own kids. Take a % of their earnings.

It's all about income producing assets.

Pipelines and toll roads would be ideal. And I don't mean just petroleum products and cars.
Spurswin5
Giant Size X-men #1(1975)

Introduction of the new X-Men like Wolverine.
QBCade
AG
This is a problem. All of my booze containers seemingly have holes in them. Terrible investment strategy for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.