Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Dow hit all time record before election?

1,819 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ogre09
ANSC Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
29-30k?
TDub5
AG
Wouldn't surprise me. Biggest predictor on if the incumbent gets re-elected is how the economy is doing right in the months prior. Feds and businesses pushing for it to continue to rise. Businesses don't want to see a Biden led economy.
Carlo4
AG
Not sure of the DJIA as it's an outdated indicator in my opinion, but I think we are looking at volatility ahead and a sell off in the coming weeks. Nothing insane, but people taking profits. S&P and Nasdaq keep plugging along.

I'm debating on going to move my swing trades in volatility/inverse to play the trend, and then move back at a later date.
Outdoorag011
The Fed has said multiple times it will do anything it can to keep the stock market higher. Main Street doesn't seem to matter at the current moment. Crappy earnings do not matter right now. Just keep the market moving higher.
Proposition Joe
I said back in April and I still feel it's still obvious - this market is going to be propped up by any means necessary until the election.

Whatever your political leanings are (and that's for another forum), if people glance at their 401k balance come voting time and it's taken a hit then the incumbent is going to lose a pivotal percentage of his voting base.

Now, what it does in and post-November stands a good chance of looking ugly no matter who is voted in office, as this thing is very much built on a house of cards. But for now, the horse is going to keep getting injected with steroids -- even if it means it collapses right after the finish line.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Outdoorag011 said:

The Fed has said multiple times it will do anything it can to keep the stock market higher. Main Street doesn't seem to matter at the current moment. Crappy earnings do not matter right now. Just keep the market moving higher.

No they didn't. If all they cared about was Wall Street they wouldn't have tied the first round of stimulus for many companies to moratorium on furloughs and layoffs. The government wouldn't have prevented evictions this spring. They definitely do care about the markets, but reiterating that they are screwing over the poor in order to give to the rich is untrue and tired.
Tormentos
AG
My advice...we have been on a nice consistent trend in the daq and s&p since the build from the march lows. Watch the trend lines and be ready to take action when necessary if we move through the lower bound. My gut is thinking a 10% correction at most prior to election but I will continue to ride until I see some behavior change in the markets.
Ogre09
AG
hmmm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.