Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AAPL

13,284 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCOBQ98
valvemonkey91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up $25/share in after hours trading from 2nd quarter earnings results. I bought 100 shares over 10 yrs ago at around $85/share. I watched it go up to $700/share and I was about to sell when it split 7:1 around 2011-2012 timeframe. I had 700 shares and I watched it climb again selling 100 share lots at $200's , $300's. I now have 200 shares left and it is $400/share now. What should be my play here? Hold, sell 1/2 here, wait for another run? Just looking for some opinions.

I know they say the market isn't dependent on who wins the White House, but I can't help but think that a certain amount of optimism is being held here for November. This economy will take off again Like a rocket if Trump is re-elected.

TIA. GIG EM.
SMM48
AG
Don't sell it. Just leave it alone
AgAE
AG
Keep it.
Phat32
AG
I'm at average of 90 and keeping.
AgEng06
AG
They announced a 4:1 split yesterday. Keep it.
tamu2009
AG
I mean. You're net free at this point. I'd keep it for no other reason it's free now. I don't see that train stopping any time soon. Maybe you can parlay your now 800 shares in to 2400 shares next time they announce a 4 for 1 split and it runs up to $200 a share and that's more than a lot of people have for retirement or blowing a hoooookers and blow
I bleed maroon
AG
Assuming you don't need the money for some current use, your process can be thought of in two simple steps:

1) Is there another investment that you feel offers a better risk-adjusted return than AAPL? If so, sell some of it to buy the other investment. If not, proceed to step two:

2) Are you comfortable with the size of your AAPL holdings as a portion of your total portfolio? You might feel differently if it's 80% vs. 10% of your overall asset allocation. If you feel it's overweighted and you are banking too much on the performance of one stock, sell some of it until you reach the level where you're comfortable.
SMM48
AG
Just keep it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Keeping it VS Selling really shouldn't even be your struggle imho.

Holding and standing pat VS Buying More should be your struggle.
Pman17
AG
I would hold. But if you've got a lot of weight and feel confident about another stock you could sell some and buy a new stock. I did this with Smith & Wesson years back. Gun nuts were scared of Obama taking away guns with all the shootings and the price jumped. I'm glad I sold some and reinvested in tech. The shares I held died out though, but Apple is the most valuable company in the world and still stingy of their money.
380Ag
AG
Hold, buy more post split.
Look at how this one runs after they split.
ToddyHill
AG
Just my opinion. Buy AAPL, hold it for the long term. Reinvest the dividends, and enjoy the ride.
Frisco86
AG
Obviously you have cashed in already and if moved into other investments vs spending on car, etc you are doing well. So I assume the balance left is not an overwhelming % of your portfolio. AAPL should continue to climb over time. Is it the top stock? Who knows?

I look at stock as cash. It is liquid. Don't get emotional when evaluating. Look at it as cash. Then invest in your highest conviction equities you think will bring highest returns. Evaluate periodically.

This could very well be AAPL. It is one for many out there. Good luck.
Carlo4
AG
Apple alone is 90% of the entire Russell 2000. Just crazy for me to imagine.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
380Ag said:

Hold, buy more post split.
Look at how this one runs after they split.
not near the markets guy some are on this board, but imo this gets back to $200 a year after the split.
Jet Black
Does it make sense to buy before or after the split?
WoMD
Jet Black said:

Does it make sense to buy before or after the split?

Insert "why not both" girl pic.

Seriously, both.
AgEng06
AG
I was going to ask this as well.

If you were going to do one... is there a preference?
WoMD
AgEng06 said:

Obviously it's tough to say for certain, but with the last split there was a huge run up, and then post split it was pretty stagnant for a long time.

Grain of salt and all...
cgh1999
AG
AgEng06 said:

Definitely after the split. It's cheaper #murica
valvemonkey91
AG
I'm going to hold my AAPL. I have a 401K and a pension that is the bulk of my retirement. I have an account separate from that where I put money to play with. Currently I'm holding about 2000 shares of TRGP that I picked up around $4,60 back in March. It is currently trading at $19-20 or so. I may dump half of TRGP and buy more AAPL.
ToddyHill
AG
I've owned AAPL for a long time, and can honestly say this company is transforming itself, and can't be judged by what it's done in the past. Without question, their hardware is the cash cow of the company. However, their services business is quietly becoming a huge chunk of their operation, and generates significantly higher margins. I predict that in ten years their services business will be as large as their iPhone sales. Look at their PE today. It's twice what it used to be, and I believe that's due to the fact 'The Street' sees more of what it is becoming, a services behemoth which also sells the best hardware of its kind.

Call me dumb, but I don't time AAPL...I buy it, I hold it, I re-invest the dividends. It's really that simple...at least it has been for me.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Picked up 5 shares this week.
ToddyHill
AG
Here's an interesting article that popped up today regarding AAPL. It specifically mentions the potential of their services business to fuel future growth. It's well worth the read for those who are long AAPL.

Apple is still undervalued
tysker
AG
AgEng06 said:

After splits it can become easier and cheaper to short a stock. With a lower price there's usually less volatility in price (though not percentage) which makes shorting more comfortable for investors and brokers and thus easier to borrow. That can be good and bad- a more 'accurate' valuation and more liquidity but also subjects the stock to short sellers pushing the price down and as mentioned above can make the post split price drop a fair amount and then stagnant. But even if AAPL loses 10-15% from here I don't think there's going to be a mad rush to exit except for maybe tax reasons or allocation reasons.

I'd be more worried about the shorts entering back into TSLA post split
tendiesinvesties08

Closed at $497 ahead of split
SMM48
AG
SMM48
AG
Split is next weekend. Not today
SMM48
AG
Historically speaking If you backtest every split pre and post. Stats say buy presplit. To be fair the study used a 20 day before the split data point to make things "equal".
Phat32
AG
MARA baaaaad week
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Utter f'ing insanity on Apple. But going with the flow.
tendiesinvesties08

For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that the split was happening on the 24th. My bad.
SMM48
AG
I thought today was 28th too.
Jet Black
31st
Bobaloo
My largest position by far, and I only bought in January of 19 at $150. Trading at 30 times earnings. TSLA is 1k times and a larger market cap than WMT. Insanity. AAPL is rock solid in comparison.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.