Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Under Armor - UA

1,396 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fig96
jsdaltxag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your thoughts on Under Armor? Stock has been beaten up. Where do you see it in 1, 3, 5 years?
jagged
AG
Personally I like their stuff, but I see it trading fairly sideways for the next couple of years with a bit of a rebound.

I think if they were struggling when the economy was at pretty much its zenith I don't really see much pop in order.

I'm long but may close out for some tax loss harvesting.
rathAG05
AG
I would stay away from it. It's been a distressed company for years now and the stock has Done nothing but disappoint. Is there potential upside? Sure, but lots of other stocks that I would buy before UA. And I owned UA for a couple years...
NoahAg
Did MLB already switch to UA or is that this year?

I know there are some D1 schools wearing UA but they're still getting squeezed out by Nike and Adidas. IMO it's the shoes that they are missing on. Kids and pros are sporting Nike and Adidas. UA has shoes but they seem like afterthought compared to the other brands.

All that to say no clue on the stock.
Quinn
AG
NoahAg said:

Did MLB already switch to UA or is that this year?

I know there are some D1 schools wearing UA but they're still getting squeezed out by Nike and Adidas. IMO it's the shoes that they are missing on. Kids and pros are sporting Nike and Adidas. UA has shoes but they seem like afterthought compared to the other brands.

All that to say no clue on the stock.
That deal got reversed and Nike is taking over the MLB uniforms starting this year.
cjo03
AG
UA is also trying to get out of some of their sponsorship deals (UCLA) and has shuffled a ton of execs including founder/CEO.

I think they become an acquisition target.
fig96
AG
Their leadership has made some really questionable decisions the past several years and I feel like they're pretty questionable moving forward.

A few years ago their stated goal was to become a technology company, and while their apps have a huge userbase they've not been at all successful with their fitness platform attempts. The quality of their apparel seems to have gone a bit downhill, and they're way behind Nike and adidas in design and fashion aspects.

At one point they seemed like they could become a legit third major athletic brand, now I'm thinking their best strategy might be to find a niche like Reebok did with Crossfit and try to own that.
Aston04
AG
As a point of reference on management's incompetence, they signed Andy Murrray to a big sponsorship deal five years ago (still under contract) and yet they still do not sell a single tennis shoe five years later.
jsdaltxag
The stock was 24 a year ago, 8.5 today. If it gets to 12.5-13 that is a 50% increase from here. I could see that happening in the next couple of years. What other stocks have more upside potential?
Trucker 96
I think they peaked years ago with products others didnt have. But now the other brands have caught up, eliminated that advantage, and now it's in a spiral that I dont see changing.
fig96
AG
Dozens of tech stocks?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.