Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Nanoparticle treatment of previously frac'd, CPT-damaged formation

1,913 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr. Doctor
buffalo chip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Recently had positive results from two well treatments (inefficient displacements) that doubled natural gas production, more than doubled SI and flowing pressures and increased water production (unrecovered treatment water, not formation water). Considering performing a more efficient displacement. I would like to hear from others with experience treating wells with nano (surfactants or other) that could reverse Capillary Phase Trapping (CPT) damage in tight gas sand formations with sub-irreducible water saturation.
buffalo chip
S
No nano-Ags out there?
K_P
AG
buffalo chip said:

No nano-Ags out there?
Tried it in tight oil and never seen it work. No experience with gas.
TxAg20
AG
We use nano-surfactants in frac'ing of oil wells. I believe most Permian operators would say the same. I don't have any experience using nano-surfactants in recompletions.
JVOKAG08
AG
There are a few nano-particles and nano-surfactants on the market that can make a significant difference in production in that application and in new fracs. None of them work everywhere but tight gas is one of the better environments to see results. Formation, GOR, and product selection all can make a huge difference. As an example, have seen great results in Wolfcamp with a couple products but yet to see results in EF or Bakken. Know there are a lot of people on the market saying they have nano and are a complete waste of money so if someone tells you it will work everywhere keep looking.
K_P
AG
Personally I haven't seen an improvement in the wolfcamp. I was pumping a nano from the red company. We're you using something else?
Clob94
Met a guy last week that repped a product called "Gusher". Don't know if thats "nano" tech or not.
JVOKAG08
AG
Red has a ton of products they market as nano so hard to say. There are a few good ones out there and now they are a lot more economical than a couple years ago.
JVOKAG08
AG
Good options outside of red company too of course. Smaller guys like ELS has good nano-surfactants, TenEx has nano-particle and one or two others have quality. Just make sure whoever you are dealing with is straight up about the probability of success because even across the Permian it doesn't make sense to pump any surfactant or nano in parts of it like a high water cut San Andres well.
Dr. Doctor
AG
What's the difference between nano and other regular technology in fracing?

I ask because my research was in small particles and I'm wondering if there is a real difference, or just marketing.

~egon
JVOKAG08
AG
For nano in oilfield there is liquid nano surfactants which have nanometer sized droplets combining solvent with surfactant to deliver both to the formation and nano particles which are nanometer size solids. Both have a benefit of greater surface area coverage. There are good quality products but also a lot of surfactants that never get to the formation to do their job and chems in general that are just check the box mostly water with a little glorified dawn soap mixed in.
K_P
AG
Yeah it's funny - so often you need a chemical to fix the issue created by some other chemical. Remove them both and it's amazing you didn't actually need either.
halfastros81
AG
Yes... pretty funny. Especially when the same company sold you on both of them. It's almost like they knew?
Dr. Doctor
AG
Having background in self assembled particles, if you are putting detergents (soaps, dawn, anything that is larger than a few molecules), you are creating "nano particles".

Now with some of the newer things, I can see more on-purpose structures being made/desired. Hell, Lysol in high enough quantities (removing the water you normally get in the spray) will make micelles. That will create a structure on the order of 10-50 nm, maybe larger (depends on concentration, etc.)

EO-PO-EO has been on the market for a long time (Ethylene Oxide, Propylene Oxide, Ethylene Oxide) as a surfactant. Will create "nano particles" in solutions at low concentrations.

Any presentations or info on this? More of curious than anything, since this was similar to my PhD research.

~egon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.