Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Durable goods backlog

1,712 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Burdizzo
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had to "order" a new washing machine this weekend. Old ten-year-old Bosch finally bit the rust (yes, I said rust).

We found a GE that we liked, but it was out of stock...Everywhere. Most other models are out of stock as well. We will have to wait about a month for it. Hopefully, that is all. Some stores were projecting two months.

Is this a result of changing relations with China, or is there some other issue in play?
ORAggieFan
Interesting. Wife just bought a Bosch dishwasher about 30 minutes ago. Had to go to a second store to have in stock but wasn't too bad.
Iowaggie
AG
I thought lots of factories were closed or running with reduced personnel. That could either be the company assembling the product or another factory that supplies parts.

Going into our Academy near us, there are few bicycles, and they basically said the receive a shipment once a week right now, but there isn't much supply.

No (reasonably priced) trampolines are available near us,

I don't know if that was why some predicted that there wouldn't be a ton of discounts on automobiles when the COVID lockdown happened as both demand and supply were going to go down.

Not sure if any of that is true.
flown-the-coop
AG
Would have to check if it applied to appliances as well, but believe it did. Issue was COVID impacting manufacturing in northern Mexico.
moses1084ever
AG
Supply chains have been disrupted all over the place. Raw materials, components, etc. We manufacture a relatively simple battery operated device. Our battery comes from Hubei so we were out of luck after our supplier shut down for a few months.
Ogre09
AG
Try buying an above ground pool...
ToddyHill
AG
We're trying to buy a new refrigerator at Lowe's and have been told they are out of stock and won't have them for a prolonged period of time.
Aggie1205
AG
There are a few reasons for this.

1. The factory shutdowns in China combined with Chinese New Year pushed back a lot of production of both finished and components. Depending on where you factory is located and if there were cases there this could have been weeks or months. If even one factory in your supply chain was affected, the whole chain suffers. This effects a great deal of US manufacturing too because of raw materials.

2. There is a huge surge in demand for a bunch of product categories right now, especially anything related to Outdoor living. Whether its extra money from canceled vacations or the stimulus money, people are buying like crazy. For supply chains that run lean, it's hard to adjust quickly enough to catch up.

3. Anything shipping LTL domestically right now is seeing delays and higher costs. Trucking companies are really busy and just getting trucks right now is taking much longer than normal. I dont know if anyone on here is involved in this industry but I'd be curious if things are getting better or worse with LTL right now.

Burdizzo
AG
Update.

Our washer was supposed to be delivered this coming Friday. Multiple vendors had the same unit, all on backorder. We bought from Lowe's because they had best delivery time. I just called to confirm delivery for Friday, and they now say mid-September.

F U GE

F U China

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.