Business & Investing
Sponsored by

$35000 for 3-5 year holds

4,697 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by K_P
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've done pretty well over the course of the last few months in oil stocks. Picked up Pioneer, Diamondback, Chevron, EOG, Conoco and a few others. Overall I pulled out and locked in my gains on my biggest winners. I started out in my trading account with about $10,000. I did not want to dedicate or risk much more than that as most of my money is professionally managed by Fidelity and ML. Well, $10,000 turned into $11,000, which turned into $15,000....you get the picture. My results gave me more confidence to where I've now moved over a bigger chunk of money and now have a little over $35,000 I need to redeploy into some investments.

What I'm looking for are solid companies that I can hold for 3-5 years. If you had the relatively small amount of available capital I have, what would you buy? I've got another ~$7,000 already invested, and could unload that if the opportunity was right.

I've considered MasterCard, Microsoft, Costco, but my concern is whether I should buy now or wait for a pullback. With such little capital, it excludes things like Amazon, etc. They're too expensive for me.

Any help or suggestions is/are appreciated.
Bird Poo
AG
Wait a couple of weeks. Things are trending down the last few days and it could result in a pullback and better opportunities.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
3-5 year hold means I wouldn't buy anything right now since we just had the historic run up. Stocks are expensive again and it will be even harder to pick winners going forward at the current levels. I would wait and see how things go in the Summer and Fall and how all this Covid and unemployment stuff shakes out. Congratulations on doing well and if the itch to buy is too hard not to scratch just commit smaller amounts than you originally thought.
2012Ag
AG
I'm looking forward to the Snowflake IPO coming soon.

https://www.ft.com/content/4a0b57ea-e5e7-4bd9-9077-91808ef5005e
lawless89
Or look at TELL and some other oil stocks that are still low. TELL is currently at a $1.22 and was at over $9 before the fall. Within 3-5 years, that stock will come back up. That's a pretty significant gain. Turn your $35k into $250k or so.
Steve McQueen
AG
Start options trading during the quarantine.
12thAngryMan
AG
Have you looked at the fundamentals of TELL? There is a reason they are in the dumpster so it's a bit scary that someone would give a blanket investment recommendation seemingly based on technical analysis. TELL is essentially an option play at this point; do you feel confident that: 1) LNG markets will rebound significantly, 2) TELL management specifically will be able to secure long term contacts to underpin the financing they need, and 3) if these stars will align before the company runs out of cash? US LNG is going to remain expensive for global markets in the near term.
iluvpoker
Better have escape plan in case Biden wins. A 3 year hold plan only makes sense if Trump wins. The last 80 days have been a record bull market. The next 80 days will be a traders market.
TecRecAg
AG
Steve McQueen said:

Start options trading during the quarantine.
I feel attacked
City Dumme
What the heck is this a troll? Way too much money for 3-5 year olds, not even realistc!
Grown Pear
AG
I second letting the next few weeks play out before putting it all in. Use the time right now (like you're doing) to target exactly how you want to allocate those funds and then you can purchase those shares at different times building up to the position you want instead of a one-chunk investment.

MSFT & DIS would be two of my favorites.

You could look into a Consumer Discretionary ETF like Vanguard's VCR as a way to gain solid exposure to AMZN (it currently comprises almost 30% of the fund).
RightWingConspirator
AG
The few of you recommending holding off a bit are looking like geniuses right now.
gvine07
AG
3-5 years, I would pick MSFT, AAPL, GOOGL, AMZN, and FB.

Next up would be DIS, COST, SHOP, DAL, PYPL, COUP and WMT.

I would stay away from o&g in that time horizon.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I'd either hold off or gradually enter. I'd consider JPM, NET, MSFT, and WMT.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I really like the VCR suggestion. Appreciate it. Summers can be tough on stocks. I may wait until end of summer before I pull the trigger on anything. That is of course assuming the market doesn't sell off further. If it does I may not wait.
JSKolache
AG
Buy pipelines, its a good value buy right now and they paid good dividends.
Maedan86
AG
JSKolache said:

What pipeline stocks might these be? Any suggestions appreciated.
Jevertson
AG
I say patience. More downside risk than upside reward right now
dirkjones
AG
Maedan86 said:

JSKolache said:

What pipeline stocks might these be? Any suggestions appreciated.

Check out epd or Et. Et has a great yield currently now plus some talk of being bought by blackstone.
bicmitchum
I like the covid stocks.wmt amzn etc.as far as pipe lines go I like epd.which I own . full discosure; I recently bought one share of amazon.thats a whole share.did not move the market as I expected
RightWingConspirator
AG
What are the nuances to investing in an MLP? Don't much about it, but I think there is more to it than just buying and cashing in your dividend checks. Does anyone know?
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
Proposition Joe
For a 5 year hold it's difficult for me to see anything more reliable than AMZN.
agclassof2012
AG
MSFT Stock - Bing
K_P
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

What are the nuances to investing in an MLP? Don't much about it, but I think there is more to it than just buying and cashing in your dividend checks. Does anyone know?

It's a pass-through entity so you could owe state tax in any state the MLP does business. Also, some of the distributions are return of capital and reduce your cost basis.

While not specifically related to tax, MLPs often have an IDR structure that increasingly shifts distributions to the GP from the LPs through time. This can make them difficult to value.

I invested in one because I worked on the project, but haven't invested in others.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.