Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit Card Balance Transfers

1,102 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chevy con queso
Craigy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I new in to the juggling 0% interest credit card game. So there is a percentage charge from the credit card that is being transferred in to? Is 3% the customary charge by the the card being transferred in to? Any other advice on this topic is appreciated. Thanks
Proposition Joe
Back in the golden age you had 0% interest and could balance transfer into it with no fees and just have free money for years.

I don't think those exist anymore though -- every 0% interest on balance transfers I see now comes with a % fee to transfer the balance, so it's only really useful for getting out of high interest cards (but paying a price to do so).
aunuwyn08
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Back in the golden age you had 0% interest and could balance transfer into it with no fees and just have free money for years.

I don't think those exist anymore though -- every 0% interest on balance transfers I see now comes with a % fee to transfer the balance, so it's only really useful for getting out of high interest cards (but paying a price to do so).

They still exist. Discover it, Chase slate, Amex everyday, and Bank of America back card.

There is still probably a few others out there, but on a seasonal or offer basis.
chevy con queso
AG
Doing this right now. Stupidly ran up a big balance and need to stop the hemorrhaging. Everything I've been offered with a 750ish credit score has a % of balance transfer fee but when I do the math, it's a lot less than the interest that would hurt you over the 18-21 months the various cards have offered at 0%.

You can chip away at it way faster when the interest is paused. My father in law took advantage of this for years when he was getting his business off the ground. Seems like he got sweeter deals back in the day.

Good thing is these new cards I have available have lower rates too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.