Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stimulus check direct deposit question

3,757 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TXTransplant
aggie orbitalwelder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder if since I don't get refunds but the IRS has my bank account number to debit for an installment account I have to pay taxes owed will they have a problem depositing the money to the account on file? I have search the Internet and cannot find an answer one way or the other.

tam2002
AG
They are supposed to have a portal open to check that stuff soon
TXTransplant
aggie orbitalwelder said:

I wonder if since I don't get refunds but the IRS has my bank account number to debit for an installment account I have to pay taxes owed will they have a problem depositing the money to the account on file? I have search the Internet and cannot find an answer one way or the other.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't gotten a refund in several years. Definitely did not get one in 2018, which is the last year they have on file. My bank account info hasn't changed since the last time I did get a refund, but IDK how far back they will look.
LOYAL AG
AG
I've changed banks since last year so I've curious myself. Looks like tam2002 has some good news. They'll have a way for you to check your direct deposit info.
TXTransplant
Anyone else getting the "Payment Status not Available" error on the IRS website? I'm assuming I get it because I owed the IRS a small payment in 2018 rather than getting a refund via direct deposit.
Martin Q. Blank
TXTransplant said:

Anyone else getting the "Payment Status not Available" error on the IRS website? I'm assuming I get it because I owed the IRS a small payment in 2018 rather than getting a refund via direct deposit.
Why am I getting "Payment Status Not Available?"

In certain cases, the Get My Payment app will be unable to tell you the status of your payment. You may receive this message for one of the following reasons:
  • If you are not eligible for a payment (see IRS.gov on who is eligible and who is not eligible)
  • If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in tax year 2018 or 2019.
  • If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
  • If you are a SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet.
You can check the app again to see whether there has been an update to your information. Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there's no need to check back more frequently.
TXTransplant
Yes, I've seen those guidelines. None of them apply to me. I am supposed to get a check based on my 2018 return. I have not filed 2019, yet. I'm holding off on 2019 so that I can get this check.

I've been checking every day. Still says my status is indeterminate.
Shiner Bock
AG
the "get my payment" has serious glitches. Helped my father add the deposit info in the program. We put in and triple checked information to input bank info since no direct deposit file on (had to pay). Rechecked it next day, and now it says we put the information in wrong. No way to check what was wrong, no way to update, and IRS not accepting calls...
jtraggie99
AG
TXTransplant said:

Yes, I've seen those guidelines. None of them apply to me. I am supposed to get a check based on my 2018 return. I have not filed 2019, yet. I'm holding off on 2019 so that I can get this check.

I'm in the same boat. I have not filed 2019 yet, but should get something based on 2018 (file head of household and have one dependent). I also typically pay money in, and they have my current bank account info from that. I get the exact same message on the website, but none of those stipulations apply to me.
TXTransplant
jtraggie99 said:

TXTransplant said:

I'm in the same boat. I have not field 2019 yet, but should get something based on 2018 (file head of household and have one dependent). I also typically pay money in, and they have my current bank account info from that. I get the exact same message on the website, but none of those stipulations apply to me.
My filing status is the same as yours - HoH with one dependent. I read on the IRS website that they won't use the bank info you gave them to take money from your account for payment of taxes owed. They will only use bank info you gave for direct deposit.

I guess I have to wait for a paper check, but I'm reading that could take months. And I don't want to file 2019 until I have that check.
jtraggie99
AG
TXTransplant said:

jtraggie99 said:

TXTransplant said:

I'm in the same boat. I have not field 2019 yet, but should get something based on 2018 (file head of household and have one dependent). I also typically pay money in, and they have my current bank account info from that. I get the exact same message on the website, but none of those stipulations apply to me.
My filing status is the same as yours - HoH with one dependent. I read on the IRS website that they won't use the bank info you gave them to take money from your account for payment of taxes owed. They will only use bank info you gave for direct deposit.

I guess I have to wait for a paper check, but I'm reading that could take months. And I don't want to file 2019 until I have that check.
In that case, I do not know. I've had the same bank account on file for them for years, although I haven't gotten a refund in awhile. I mean you are supposed to be able to check and update your deposit account info through that portal, but it's obviously having issues.
TXTransplant
From the FAQs on irs.gov, Questions 22 and 24.

Quote:

A22. If you received direct deposit of your refund based on your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven't filed your 2019 tax return), the IRS has sent your Payment to the bank account provided on the most recent tax return. If you filed a Form 8888, Allocation of Refund, with your tax return to split your refund into multiple accounts, your Payment was deposited to the first bank account listed. You cannot change your account information.

If you filed your 2019 or 2018 tax return but did not receive your refund by direct deposit, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file even if you also receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits by direct deposit. This is generally the address on your most recent tax return or as updated through the United States Postal Service (USPS).

Quote:

A24. No, the IRS will not send Payments to accounts used to make a payment to the IRS. After you properly verify your identity, the Get My Payment tool will allow you to submit your bank account information if your Payment has not been processed. Providing your bank information is the fastest way to receive your Payment. If we do not have bank information for you, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file for you.

I have not seen anywhere that I can enter bank info. When I use the Get My Payment tool, it does not give me that option. It simply says my status is indeterminate.

Seems like I should be getting a status that says my payment will be mailed to me.
TxAG#2011
Should get some based on 2018 and I'm gonna wait until the last day in July to file just in case there is another one. I usually owe a few bucks every year so they don't have my DD info. I am just gonna wait for that Trump check which is supposed to be going out in a few weeks.
gigemhilo
AG
Im a CPA - with most of the errors I have seen ("unable to determine eligibility"), the common denominator seems to be the 2019 was filed in the last month.

Also, I would assume the IRS will soon announce a resolution process for those who are eligible but have not received. They have to do what they can to prevent rampant fraud, so expect some hurdles in the near term.

I know this is not the best news, but be patient. They were given an incredible mandate while running on a skeleton staff -many IRS employees are furloughed or shelter in place. From what I can tell, they are not processing paper filings at this time.

It is what it is unfortunately.
gigemhilo
AG
Also, I have seen that people aren't getting payment for their kids. Basically, if they qualified for the child tax credit, then they should get it. I have run into a couple people that for whatever reason didnt mark their kids as eligible for the credit (low income, credit wasn't useful, so they didnt mark it on page 1..) and they did not receive payment for their kids. I do not know what to do to resolve this yet and I advised them to wait to call the IRS when they offer resolution options. Amending the return will take months at this point.

Hopefully that is helpful.
jtraggie99
AG
TXTransplant said:

From the FAQs on irs.gov, Questions 22 and 24.

Quote:

A22. If you received direct deposit of your refund based on your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven't filed your 2019 tax return), the IRS has sent your Payment to the bank account provided on the most recent tax return. If you filed a Form 8888, Allocation of Refund, with your tax return to split your refund into multiple accounts, your Payment was deposited to the first bank account listed. You cannot change your account information.

If you filed your 2019 or 2018 tax return but did not receive your refund by direct deposit, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file even if you also receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits by direct deposit. This is generally the address on your most recent tax return or as updated through the United States Postal Service (USPS).

Quote:

A24. No, the IRS will not send Payments to accounts used to make a payment to the IRS. After you properly verify your identity, the Get My Payment tool will allow you to submit your bank account information if your Payment has not been processed. Providing your bank information is the fastest way to receive your Payment. If we do not have bank information for you, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file for you.

I have not seen anywhere that I can enter bank info. When I use the Get My Payment tool, it does not give me that option. It simply says my status is indeterminate.

Seems like I should be getting a status that says my payment will be mailed to me.

Thanks man. I'm just going to keep checking the portal once a day and see if something changes. If I end up having to wait on a check, then so be it I guess.
jsc8116
AG
I was in same boat of owing taxes last 2 returns, put my bank info in on Wednesday and checked a couple times on payment status yesterday. I now get a message that I have exceeded amount of times to check on payment in 24 hours or there is an error on my payment status.....long story short, dont check more than 1x/day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FWIW - I get the exact same message for both of my parents, who filed in 2018 but not 2019 yet.

Starting to think people in that boat are the ones getting the error.
gigemhilo
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

FWIW - I get the exact same message for both of my parents, who filed in 2018 but not 2019 yet.

Starting to think people in that boat are the ones getting the error.

I mentioned this above. I think this is exactly the case. the first wave was only those who had filed 2019 and had direct deposit info.

They went with what they knew and got those out of the way.
jschroeder
I'm another data point under the "Payment Status Not Available"

• Haven't filed 2019
  • Owed and paid a check in 2018
Diggity
AG
jschroeder said:

• Haven't filed 2019

that's me
TXTransplant
KHOU is following this and posted this story today.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/payment-status-not-available/85-9f7b0fa1-ae1d-4af2-9111-e10c7395d1b9?fbclid=IwAR3yCyVpGAokUK7iLcHwEHHXZbNvRH1YHX1iVXpjCdwGTT7Ul8bsR9i0kE0?fbclid=IwAR3yCyVpGAokUK7iLcHwEHHXZbNvRH1YHX1iVXpjCdwGTT7Ul8bsR9i0kE0

Quote:

People who filed for 2018, have not filed yet for 2019, and who owed money on their 2018 return: This might seem bizarrely specific, but we're seeing it reported over and over and over again on social media. Again, we've reached out to see if there's any way to explain this particular convergence of circumstances resulting in so many seeing the error message. We'll update if we hear back. In the meantime, if you're in the same boat, please send a message to jraymond@11alive.com (UPDATE: In just the hour this story has been up we've received over a hundred emails from people saying they're in the same situation, so it certainly seems widespread) - we'd like to hear from anyone this describes and see if there are more commonalities between people.
It's possible this may also only apply to people in that situation who used a certain tax service. The Treasury Department confirmed a Washington Post report yesterday that there were certain issues with people who filed with H&R Block, TurboTax and others and how payments were sent out.

I used TurboTax to file my 2018 return.
canagian
AG
So my three kids and I all filed 2019 taxes within in the last month.

kid #1 was above the phase-out limit based on 2019 income (but not 2018 income) and got nada
kid #2 continues to get a "status unavailable" message
kid #3 got an auto deposit on the first day they started sending them out
I also got an auto deposit on the first day based on 2019 income (would have phased out based on 2018)

we all filed 2018 and 2019 taxes online via turbotax, and all received refunds for both years via auto-deposit

kid #2 situation was basically the same as kid #3, yet gets the error message.

no apparent rhyme or reason
TXTransplant
So, when are the rest of you getting your check? Looks like mine won't come until right after I have to file for 2019.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/when-will-stimulus-checks-be-mailed-what-to-know-if-youre-still-waiting/285-a0bf039b-81a0-45d8-9040-25f325fa17e2

Quote:

According to the internal plan, checks will be issued by gradually increasing income increments of $10,000 each week. Households earning $198,000, who file jointly, will get their reduced checks on Sept. 4, The Post reported.
These dates represent the "week ending," there is a chance the IRS could also change the schedule at any point.
- Income up to $10,000: April 24
- Income between $10,001-$20,000: May 1
- Income between $20,001-$30,000: May 8
- Income between $30,001-$40,000: May 15
- Income between $40,001-$50,000: May 22
- Income between $50,001-$60,000: May 29
- Income between $60,001-$70,000: June 5
- Income between $70,001-$80,000: June 12
- Income between $80,001-$90,000: June 19
- Income between $90,001-$100,000: June 26
- Income between $100,001-$110,000: July 3
- Income between $110,001-$120,000: July 10
- Income between $120,001-$130,000: July 17
- Income between $130,001-$140,000: July 24
- Income between $140,001-$150,000: July 31
- Income between $150,001-$160,000: August 7
- Income between $160,001-$170,000: August 14
- Income between $170,001-$180,000: August 21
- Income between $180,001-$190,000: August 28
- Income between $190,001-$198,000: September 4
- All remaining checks: September 11

jamey
AG
Diggity said:

jschroeder said:

• Haven't filed 2019

that's me

Same here but I paid online thru turbotax

So they know my bank number but apparently they think it's a one way street
jakester03
AG
Same (owed a little in 18 but haven't filed for 19). Mine showed unavailable until this morning. Now it says eligible and gives me a place for bank info.
jtraggie99
AG
jakester03 said:

Same (owed a little in 18 but haven't filed for 19). Mine showed unavailable until this morning. Now it says eligible and gives me a place for bank info.

Exact thing just happened to me.
TXTransplant
jtraggie99 said:

jakester03 said:

Exact thing just happened to me.

Just checked mine and got the same message.

Tried to check last night, and it said the system was down for maintenance. Guess this is what they were working on!

Just as an FYI - if you want to input your direct deposit info, you will also need some numbers from your last tax return. The online form also asks for AGI and the amount that you either paid or got as a refund.
Diggity
AG
Cool. I'll give it a try
CoolaidWade
AG
Diggity said:

jschroeder said:

• Haven't filed 2019

that's me
That's me. Heads up this morning I was able to enter banking info after getting the "not available" message every day prior. Today it opened up. Needed AGI and amt owed on 2018 return.
Diggity
AG
mine worked too. Thanks for the heads up all
Grown Pear
AG
TXTransplant said:

So, when are the rest of you getting your check? Looks like mine won't come until right after I have to file for 2019.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/when-will-stimulus-checks-be-mailed-what-to-know-if-youre-still-waiting/285-a0bf039b-81a0-45d8-9040-25f325fa17e2

Quote:

According to the internal plan, checks will be issued by gradually increasing income increments of $10,000 each week. Households earning $198,000, who file jointly, will get their reduced checks on Sept. 4, The Post reported.
These dates represent the "week ending," there is a chance the IRS could also change the schedule at any point.
- Income up to $10,000: April 24
- Income between $10,001-$20,000: May 1
- Income between $20,001-$30,000: May 8
- Income between $30,001-$40,000: May 15
- Income between $40,001-$50,000: May 22
- Income between $50,001-$60,000: May 29
- Income between $60,001-$70,000: June 5
- Income between $70,001-$80,000: June 12
- Income between $80,001-$90,000: June 19
- Income between $90,001-$100,000: June 26
- Income between $100,001-$110,000: July 3
- Income between $110,001-$120,000: July 10
- Income between $120,001-$130,000: July 17
- Income between $130,001-$140,000: July 24
- Income between $140,001-$150,000: July 31
- Income between $150,001-$160,000: August 7
- Income between $160,001-$170,000: August 14
- Income between $170,001-$180,000: August 21
- Income between $180,001-$190,000: August 28
- Income between $190,001-$198,000: September 4
- All remaining checks: September 11

Not sure if those figures/dates are for 2019 or 2018 and 2019... but here's me and my wife's specifics as another data point:

2018 Single Filer(1): Received $1,200 direct deposit on Apr 15th. Income/Date range above is June 5. Overpaid taxes at extension Apr '19, bank acct info was input in Sept '19 filing date to receive refund.

2018 Single Filer(2): Have not received payment yet. Filed in Apr '19, Income/Date range above is May 8. Owed small amount and paid online Apr '19 (apparently treated diff. than receiving refund)

2019 MFJ Return: Filed Apr 20 after SF(1) received stimulus check. SF(2) has not received still. Interested if SF(2) will now be determined based on 2018 Single return or 2019 MFJ return.
TXTransplant
I think those dates are for anyone who doesn't have direct deposit info on file with the IRS - meaning people they have to send a paper check.

They will ONLY use bank info you gave them to get a refund. I owed in 2018 (have not filed 2019, yet), so that was my issue.

But the website has now been updated so that you can go in and enter your direct deposit info. You also need your AGI and the amount you owed or were refunded from your last filing to complete the process.

gigemhilo
AG
not sure about that internal chart listed.

For reference, my parents would fall in the middle of that chart. I checked their status earlier this week and it said their check would be mailed April 24 (today).
TXTransplant
Considering how this whole program has gone, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that chart isn't correct. I just shared it since the IRS put it out there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.