Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cash Balance Plans

936 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ATXAdvisor
aa4136
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone help me understand the risk / benefit for such plans for retirement savings? They are offering this option at my work and it seems like a great option to reduce tax burden beyond maxing out the 401K, backdoor Roth, and HSA.

Anything I should be wary of or ask about?
ATXAdvisor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I hear "Cash Balance Plan", I assume that to be a defined benefit pension plan that all eligible employees would be participants in. You wouldn't have a choice in the matter as the participant. The assets in these plans are generally protected from creditors, and governed by ERISA. Eventually, participants can elect a monthly benefit or a lump sum payment when they terminate employment.

Your question implies you are being given a choice. That sounds like a non-qualified deferred compensation plan. Those typically offer SELECT employees an opportunity to defer income but the assets are generally subject the the company's ongoing viability and not protected from creditors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.