Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Housing Market Impact

1,385 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nukeaggie2000
The Lurker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is everyone's thoughts on the housing market? I know several here invest in rental properties and the recent trend of doing the Airbnb type rentals. I'm sure a lot are responsible investors who are not over leveraged but I'm sure there are plenty that probably are.

Hopefully the renters can still make their rent but I would think the Airbnb types are not having any income right now. What are the chances of these type of investors having to do a fire sell/foreclose and flood the residential housing market?

spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
I mean, if you buy a place preparing to solely pay for it using Airbnb income, then that's just a bad business decision on your part.
Cyp0111
What can go wrong with 5x leverage on a property dependent on complete discretionary income. Now bundle multiple ones that most could not float on person.
bones75
AG
Can generally switch from short term to long term rentals (of course, you likely will have lost the costs of having furnished the house). So, wouldn't be a total loss. I'm guessing there will be plenty of demand for rentals, but at lower rates, due to lower incomes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CS78
Going to be highly dependent how long this goes on. So far, all of my tenants look to be paying April rent on time. I also still seem to be having decent luck signing new leases for summer move in. I feel that I may be a little shielded by having some smaller/cheaper houses in pretty good areas. If people need to move out of their $1500 a month house, they'll be looking to save money by moving in to my $1100 a month house without having to move across town.

I don't own any short term rentals but would be worried if I did. Example, my family has a house reserved at a Florida beach this summer. We have to decide in the coming weeks if we would like to cancel and get a full refund. If the beaches continue to stay closed through the summer, those people will lose almost a years worth of income. $40k-$50k in lost rent per property. That's going to hurt! Hard to think it wont tank the market in the highly focused areas.

For B/CS, I do worry about what could happen if this ends up affecting the fall semester. If 80+% of the students don't show back up in August, it will cripple us for a decade or more.

Both of these scenarios wont just be housing though. Itll bring a cloud across the entire local economy.
nukeaggie2000
AG
i have a short term rental in crystal beach. each of our renters are slowing canceling. just got one this morning cancelling in august.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.