Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tesla's 5th Giga Factory site selection

2,796 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 12thmanfootball
12thmanfootball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a biased investor (with a butt-ton of my portfolio in Tesla), but does anybody know what Texas and/or Texas A&M is doing to woo Tesla in their decision where to put their 5th Giga Factory?

From what I've read, it is down to Nashville, TN and Texas. Would mean a ton of jobs for whichever State or city lands this super-factory for the where Tesla will build the Cyber Truck and the Model Y SUV's for the East Coast.

The decision should be made in the next month or so.

Premium
AG
Saddens me to say, being in the fuel business, the Cyber Truck might be my first electric
Endo Ag
AG
Premium said:

Saddens me to say, being in the fuel business, the Cyber Truck might be my first electric

I hate the design, but love the spec sheet. Model 3P is easily the best car I've owned, with some high level competition, and it's not close.
Joe Exotic
AG
Premium said:

I'll wait for an actual usable electric design from Ford
chevy con queso
AG
Joe Exotic said:

Premium said:

Someone gave me guff over this in politics, but their designs are going to incorporate transmissions. Yeah, yeah, I get it, all torque at 0 RPM and all, and that's fine for a car.

Load that sucker down and watch what happens to those motors and batteries. The amperage required to move 10,000 lbs of GVW is going to make my Miller wince. You can multiply that torque and put that electric motor in all sorts of usable ranges which is ideal for a truck. I'd bank on them to make it really practical.

I'm reading this forum now because I'm about to get my feet wet in the stock market. Ford is actually looking like my first purchase.
YouBet
AG
When y'all say Ford do you mean the Rivian since they are big investors in that?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Not touching Ford given their debt profile.

Also, username does not check out.
Premium
AG
chevy con queso said:

Joe Exotic said:

Premium said:

Someone gave me guff over this in politics, but their designs are going to incorporate transmissions. Yeah, yeah, I get it, all torque at 0 RPM and all, and that's fine for a car.

Load that sucker down and watch what happens to those motors and batteries. The amperage required to move 10,000 lbs of GVW is going to make my Miller wince. You can multiply that torque and put that electric motor in all sorts of usable ranges which is ideal for a truck. I'd bank on them to make it really practical.

I'm reading this forum now because I'm about to get my feet wet in the stock market. Ford is actually looking like my first purchase.

Not sure if user name checks or or doesn't

ETA - someone beat me to the username...
RangerRick9211
AG
You joined in '15 with that username. Are you from the future or truly the Tiger King?
hammerhead
Premium said:

Would love to get hidden cameras set up in advance at the local sale barn when I drive up in one with a cattle trailer to unload some calves.

62strat
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

You joined in '15 with that username. Are you from the future or truly the Tiger King?
you know a netflix special generally is about something that has already happened?

Joe exotic ran for president in 2016.. he did not just magically appear a month ago.
Quinn
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

You can change your username.
FrontPorchAg
One thing to remember about the cyber truck market is most truck drivers don't actually weigh them down. I own a '04 Tacoma that I use for work. Generally, I use it to carry bulky items, or wet items for work that I don't want inside a car. ie skis, work equipment, and wet/muddy dogs. Also, I need a four-wheel drive for where I live. Then throw in all the urban cowboys in Dallas and Houston who will pull on to a dirt road once a year and boom you have a hell of a market for these things.

I think the torque/distance issue is a legit question but if you are driving a F250 or HD you are actually a small subset of the truck market.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
12thmanfootball
AG
Tesla will choose Texas for their "TeraFactory". This will be a HUGE thing for Texas (unfortunately it looks like Austin, though). It may be the biggest Factory/Building/Group of Buildings in the world and ultimately more than 10000 employees, if everything I've read is true. The announcement should be coming in the next few weeks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.