Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Day Trading as a full time job

4,815 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CSTXAg92
ToddyHill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts?

I'm hitting a lot of singles and doubles...and wondering if this is an avenue I should pursue? And I don't do Puts or Calls, which I recognize would expand my opportunities. I welcome the thoughts of the masses.
RebAg13
AG
How's your blood pressure?
tam2002
AG
I'd probably of slit my wrist after LADR blew up today after selling 2 days ago if I counted on this as a full time job
third deck
AG
Everybody I know who had that idea has gotten absolutley destroyed and humbled in the market. You would be better served by pursuing real ways of adding value.
RockOn
Even if you're profitable, I don't recommend it.
FrontPorchAg
Please don't take this the wrong way but this isn't a hard market to hit singles and doubles.
claym711
AG
It'll take years of losses before you're ready. That's the truth.
bmks270
AG
My friends dad actually did this a few years, got bored of it, and now raises cattle instead. But then again, that was after they sold a family business for a few million, so idk if my friends dad actually needed to profit since they were set from the sale of business.

The most revealing numbers are the ones that have come from brokerages, something like 90+% of active traders lose money. So yes you can be in the 10% of winners, but it's not like it's an easy path.

Well maybe it is, maybe those 90% are just not that bright since there is no barrier to entry. But I wouldn't quit your day job or ever rely on it as the only income stream. There is survivorship bias where one person approach just happens to work by sheer random chances, but market behavior changes then they can't ever adapt.

Read "Fooled by Randomness" before thinking about day trading for your only income.
TriumphForks
AG
third deck said:

Everybody I know who had that idea has gotten absolutley destroyed and humbled in the market. You would be better served by pursuing real ways of adding value.
Guilty as charged, circa 2009.
thirdcoast
AG
When you understand exactly what this guy is talking about and know when and how to put on the same trades.....then maybe jump in. Anytime I think about quiting my day job, I think about competing with guys like this clip, old army and other pros on the "stock markets" thread crushing SPY trades. Then I just feel like a TP hoarder.

pfo
AG
Starting about 30 years ago, I have known several people that quit their day jobs to become day traders. All but one lost all their money and went back to work their regular jobs, except one. And that one now lives in a huge house in Dallas and does what he wants to everyday.
Baby Billy
AG
pfo said:

Starting about 30 years ago, I have known several people that quit their day jobs to become day traders. All but one lost all their money and went back to work their regular jobs, except one. And that one now lives in a huge house in Dallas and does what he wants to everyday.

HustlerAggie
Only if you are an AI researcher/programmer. That would be the only route forward for doing this full time.
Hustle Harder
birdman
The purpose of the stock market is to shift money from the impatient to the patient.
Bocephus
AG
If ya got $200K and a dream, go for it!
Ranger222
AG
I think its a lot like poker or gambling....understanding that a 57% (+/-) hit rate is actually what you are trying to achieve and a big chunk of it is about risk management and the size of your plays, something that hardly ever gets discussed, especially here.

There is also a big reason that a lot of these 'day traders' you see on twitter run a 'service'....a lot like everything else they are not making money on trades but the 'service' they are charging you for $100/month when a lot of the same information you can just get for free off of twitter....
aggiehunter3
AG
I almost obsess about quitting my job and day trading full time. It sounds glamorous, and when I make a really good trade, I honestly think i could do it....Then I make a bad trade, for a stupid reason, and I realize I'm not ready.

You have to be the ultimate risk manager if you're trading your own money to make a living. Remove all emotions and have a good system.
claym711
AG
Big key right here. You can find systems that win more often than not but knowing when to push your volume higher and managing risk are 2 bigger keys to success. As well as executing without emotion.
Proposition Joe
Ranger222 said:

I think its a lot like poker or gambling....understanding that a 57% (+/-) hit rate is actually what you are trying to achieve and a big chunk of it is about risk management and the size of your plays, something that hardly ever gets discussed, especially here.

There is also a big reason that a lot of these 'day traders' you see on twitter run a 'service'....a lot like everything else they are not making money on trades but the 'service' they are charging you for $100/month when a lot of the same information you can just get for free off of twitter....

And most that do it full-time will tell you it's an absolute grind after a few years. It loses the allure once you have to settle in for it every.single.day.

I did it on the sports side for a long-time. Before I could watch college football from dawn til the Hawaii game ended and come back for NFL the next day.

Now I rarely watch any football outside of Aggies/Cowboys.
La Bamba
AG
Interesting and relevant topic. So I work a rotational job where I'm off for half the year. In my time off, instead of goofing off and doing nothing but playing golf or spending money, I've devoted my time to try to learn to day trade. Started this since last October. A few learning points I've gathered along the way:

1) You need time to learn. Do not jump into this head first and rely on it for income right off the bat. You will lose your ass. No one becomes a Pro Athlete from one day to the next, or a doctor, or an engineer. Day trading is like anything else - you must put the time to actually acquire the necessary skills to be successful.
2) Join a trading community. I've joined one and it has helped ALOT. The right place can teach you a lot about patterns that work, how to properly manage risk, help with stock selection and names, and even give real time updates of trades to follow along. It also gives you a forum to ask questions and learn/improve.
3) Try paper trading at first. I know this ain't sexy but it will likely save you a lot of money.
4) Understand that you will likely have to pay market tuition. In other words, you will probably lose money at first until you get better at the game and until you get better at dealing with the psychological mind **** that it entails. You learn a lot about yourself when you're making calls that affect your daily profit/loss.
5) Best to learn it when you don't have the pressure of HAVING to make money from it. This adds to the psychological toll (by an order of magnitude).

All in all, it's a pretty fun thing and can be very rewarding. However, it's a grind and requires a lot of hours with your butt in that seat understanding patterns, preparing for the next day, and most importantly learning to manage risk.
lb3
AG
Exsurge Domine
I play with my charts and trendspider subscription that make me feel like a badass. I've got some Fibonacci levels, bollinger bands and candlestick recognition software, but all that stuff pales into comparison to what the big boys have. I don't think there's anyway to do this as a living other than hoping to hit the big one and cash out.
Ranger222
AG
Right thats almost the strategy I would take....play conservative for the most part and take part of the gains and put it in YOLO shots to hit big...like a couple months ago when TSLA as in its exponential growth phase and a couple people were buying weekly or monthly naked 1000C when the stock was still in the 600s....those plays should have gone to zero but it got up to $900+ creating 1000s% returns on those calls. Catch a few lucky breaks like that and now you might have some real profits....but you also can expect to be wrong on those 95%+ of the time with that money going to zero. It also pure luck....you could get your big breaks really early and think you've got it made or you may run out of capital before you ever hit one. Basically just gambling.
Bocephus
AG
Ranger222 said:

Right thats almost the strategy I would take....play conservative for the most part and take part of the gains and put it in YOLO shots to hit big...like a couple months ago when TSLA as in its exponential growth phase and a couple people were buying weekly or monthly naked 1000C when the stock was still in the 600s....those plays should have gone to zero but it got up to $900+ creating 1000s% returns on those calls. Catch a few lucky breaks like that and now you might have some real profits....but you also can expect to be wrong on those 95%+ of the time with that money going to zero. It also pure luck....you could get your big breaks really early and think you've got it made or you may run out of capital before you ever hit one. Basically just gambling.

Guy on WSB bought $170,000 (I believe may have been $270,000) in calls on TSLA 1000 and they went up to $3.4 million when it hit 900
dc509
AG
Is it a bad idea? Sure. Have people hit it big day trading? Yes. It's all about your tolerance for risk. Just understand that you will almost certainly fail. If that truly doesn't scare you then have at it. Who knows.
claym711
AG
lb3 said:

HustlerAggie said:

Only if you are an AI researcher/programmer. That would be the only route forward for doing this full time.
Even that wouldn't be enough for me. Wall Street has tons of really smart AI development, better access to data to feed the AI, and closer access to the exchange to ensure your extra 3 millisecond ping time buries you. No faster way to lose everything than to give your computer full authority to trade on your accounts.

In my opinion, the only reason any day trader succeeds is because the big boys aren't hungry enough to go after the crumbs day traders are fighting for.

This is partly wrong. A computer will execute consistently and manage without emotion, and that's 75% of the game or more
CSTXAg92
AG
ToddyHill said:

Thoughts?

I'm hitting a lot of singles and doubles...and wondering if this is an avenue I should pursue? And I don't do Puts or Calls, which I recognize would expand my opportunities. I welcome the thoughts of the masses.
OP - Saw this recently posted video and thought of this thread. Very insightful, objective perspective on this very topic. Enjoy.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.