Business & Investing
Sponsored by

ROKU

46,016 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by wcb
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Felt ROKU discussion deserves its own thread like TSLA has. Been an interesting stock with tremendous potential and had been a stock markets thread favorite for a while. And an Aggie CEO to top it off.

At 133.62 as a type this. Been a volatile stock today (earning call yesterday) climbing above $151 at one point and now down on the day.

I'm still a buyer of the stock and on a personal note I love the technology interface. I have not cut the cord yet due to lack of Astros coverage on any of the streaming services. If that's ever fixed it's my last hurdle to dropping cable. There's still a large market to capture and ROKU is incredibly well primed to benefit from Netflix growth, Disney + growth, ESPN + and related growth and really all the streaming services and importantly they will benefit from shifting advertisement trends.
permabull
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I have ROKU but not familiar with its business model but since so many TVs are now smart tvs, and they are all trending that way what is ROKU doing long term to stay successful and maintain or grow customers?
Whitetail
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I have ROKU but not familiar with its business model but since so many TVs are now smart tvs, and they are all trending that way what is ROKU doing long term to stay successful and maintain or grow customers?
International.
jtraggie99
AG

I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not when you said smart TV's, but there are a number of TV's on the market now with Roku baked in. That's their interface for the TV. So, I would guess that is part of their long-term plan maybe.
bmks270
AG

Market leader in streaming devices. Not likely to lose that spot.

This book "22 immutable laws of marketing" gives good insight into winners and losers from a marketing and market share perspective, and ROKU checks a lot of boxes right now for maintaining its place at the top.

On a side note, this is a good book I think stock pickers should read. Gives warning signs whether a company is likely to be trending up or down in their sector.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ag13 said:

Felt ROKU discussion deserves its own thread like TSLA has. Been an interesting stock with tremendous potential and had been a stock markets thread favorite for a while. And an Aggie CEO to top it off.

At 133.62 as a type this. Been a volatile stock today (earning call yesterday) climbing above $151 at one point and now down on the day.

I'm still a buyer of the stock and on a personal note I love the technology interface. I have not cut the cord yet due to lack of Astros coverage on any of the streaming services. If that's ever fixed it's my last hurdle to dropping cable. There's still a large market to capture and ROKU is incredibly well primed to benefit from Netflix growth, Disney + growth, ESPN + and related growth and really all the streaming services and importantly they will benefit from shifting advertisement trends.

I'm in CA and use ROKU to watch the Astros.
permabull
AG
deadbq03
AG
hypeiv said:

I am probably in the minority but the dispute they had with Fox opened my eyes to the fact I had inadvertently added another middleman in between me and the content I pay for. If they ever go so far as to remove a functioning app over such a dispute I could see consumers losing a lot of faith in the company.
I agree with this sentiment. The mantra for the digital age is "Content is King."

Roku is a quasi cable company. I was an early adopter in cord cutting and admire the business (and use the product), but I think within the next decade Roku gets smoked because it's a middleman. It's only gonna get easier to connect to a web application hosted by the content provider.
deadbq03
AG
All that said, There's absolutely money to be made on it right now and I wish y'all the best of luck. I won't suffer from FOMO on this one though.
permabull
AG
Ag13
AG
On MLB tv? I was referring to getting AT&T sports net specifically. I know some over the internet tv packages have Fox Sports SW (Rangers) but none that I know it carry AT&T yet. As mentioned Mlb tv is blacked out in Texas for Rangers and Astros which is a whole different discussion that I actually agree with Trevor Bauer on.

It's too bad because MLB tv is a great service otherwise. I have been a subscriber for several years to flip around. MLB Advanced Media is a great story. They were true pioneers in streaming and content interface.
permabull
AG
bmks270
AG
hypeiv said:

I agree there is money to be made with the stock. I can just see myself switching to another device if they ever remove an app I use.

They don't do much to lock you into their eco system so if for example they got into a dispute with YouTube TV and removed it, I am switching devices before I cancel YouTube TV and sign up for Hulu TV.

Middle men make lots of money.
Air BNB, Amazon, App stores, EBay.... ROKU is the leading market maker connecting streaming services to viewers, thats how I view ROKU. You can certainly shop other place than Amazon, or book outside of Air BNB, but ROKU has a bit of a moat in market share and software at the moment. Yes that can change, anyone can be knocked from the top spot if they don't innovate, but I think ROKU will be here to stay for a while.

The biggest threat imo will be cable corporations creating their own streaming hardware and software to use with their cable boxes and somehow revamping their pricing models to compete with streaming services.
pfo
AG
ROKU's CEO Anthony Woods said that by 2024, half of tv viewers will have cut the cord and young viewers will only know streaming. At least right now, streaming is cheaper and with ROKU going international, there are about 7 billion pairs of eyeballs to fight for. That's powerful!

I've been long the ROKU for 1.5 years at an average price of $37. There just aren't that many public companies out there growing at 40-50%/year with the kind of opportunity in front of them that ROKU currently has.
Ag13
AG
hypeiv said:

I think FuboTV has it

You are right. Looks like no espn though
Ragoo
AG
deadbq03 said:

hypeiv said:

I am probably in the minority but the dispute they had with Fox opened my eyes to the fact I had inadvertently added another middleman in between me and the content I pay for. If they ever go so far as to remove a functioning app over such a dispute I could see consumers losing a lot of faith in the company.
I agree with this sentiment. The mantra for the digital age is "Content is King."

Roku is a quasi cable company. I was an early adopter in cord cutting and admire the business (and use the product), but I think within the next decade Roku gets smoked because it's a middleman. It's only gonna get easier to connect to a web application hosted by the content provider.
ROKU is an aggregator of content. They are not reselling it like a cable company.
bmks270
AG
Ragoo said:

deadbq03 said:

hypeiv said:

ROKU is an aggregator of content. They are not reselling it like a cable company.

And that web app will be on your TV using a ROKU.
62strat
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Ag13 said:

I'm in CA and use ROKU to watch the Astros.
Everyone outside of Astros market can watch Astros on just about any device.

It's those in Houston that have to find the workaround.
AggieChemist
AG
We have been ROKU-only on our three TVs since about 2015. I like the clean, simple interface. Having said that, I bought a new Samsung TV yesterday and using its native smart app, I don't need the ROKU on that TV.

I don't like that Samsung assaults me with "free" live TV when I turn it on. I don't want to listen to Gordon Ramsay yell at some dumbass while I'm navigating to MyOutdoorTV to watch bass fishing shows.

I need to see if I can disable that.
JSKolache
AG
After watching big jumps for 2 years i finally got in on it, which may habe been a terrible idea. We shall see....
Bocephus
AG
Bought in when it was under 40 and the Aggie CEO had made his first billion
Beerosch
AG
JSKolache said:

After watching big jumps for 2 years i finally got in on it, which may habe been a terrible idea. We shall see....

I feel your pain. Bought in last week too. Couldn't pick a worse time.
Bocephus
AG
Beerosch said:

JSKolache said:

I feel your pain. Bought in last week too. Couldn't pick a worse time.

Buy more
bmks270
AG
Why is Roku selling off so much? I'd think with more people being home there would be more Roku use? Heck, my wife just went and bought another one when she got assigned to be work from home. Despite that, Roku seems to have sold off more than the market average.
tam2002
AG
bmks270 said:

Why is Roku selling off so much? I'd think with more people being home there would be more Roku use? Heck, my wife just went and bought another one when she got assigned to be work from home. Despite that, Roku seems to have sold off more than the market average.

No real idea all I know is I bought today
ranchag04
AG
It's a growth stock...high flyer during good times....max pain during bad.
Ag13
AG
Got down into the 60's during the market fall caused by the corona virus, but is back up to the level from the OP - currently at $133.40, a gain of ~4.6% today. Turns out this was a great stay at home stock.

Earnings today after hours
Ag13
AG
Over $220 this morning
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I just sold a good chunk to go net free on my holdings.
Bird Poo
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

I just sold a good chunk to go net free on my holdings.
I went ahead and did the same thing!
HoustonAg2014
AG
I went all in on my retirement and trading account at $125 in Feb. Quickly lost half my money on paper and stayed disciplined. Kept averaging down through March with covered calls. And now we are here.

People on the stock market thread kept me level headed on the long term opportunity of the company. I dug in and did as much research to learn more and more about their business. And now I am confident this company can be a $100B company in the future... And I think there are larger tail winds of they break up Amazon and Google because those companies streaming sticks are funded by the parent company.
Ag13
AG
Above $250 today
Ag13
AG
Roku $400 today
bmks270
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I went all in on my retirement and trading account at $125 in Feb. Quickly lost half my money on paper and stayed disciplined. Kept averaging down through March with covered calls. And now we are here.

People on the stock market thread kept me level headed on the long term opportunity of the company. I dug in and did as much research to learn more and more about their business. And now I am confident this company can be a $100B company in the future... And I think there are larger tail winds of they break up Amazon and Google because those companies streaming sticks are funded by the parent company.

Yeah, I'm getting more bullish on ROKU as I look around the landscape of streaming entertainment.

Comcast is a 200 billion dollar company. Well, I think ROKU will replace cable companies entirely and surpass them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.