Business & Investing
Sponsored by

New W4 withholding question

1,682 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the old W4, I would put 10 allowances to reduce the amount of taxes taken from my check. It was a good number and still kept my liability at the end of the year under $1000. I want to do the same on this new W4 but I'm having a helluva time figuring it out. How do I do this on this new one?
bodaciousbood14
AG
BUMP because I don't know what the hell I'm doing either.

Pretty sure I filed M 1 last year but I don't know what the equivalent is for this year's form.
monarch
S
Is Married 0 still available? I always do that.
JobSecurity
AG
you can jack up your dependents to make your withholding essentially zero and specify the exact amount you want in the "additional withholding" box
bodaciousbood14
AG
monarch said:

Is Married 0 still available? I always do that.
I filled out the personal info, clicked the "Married filing jointly" box, signed and dated and turned it in.

Whatever happens, happens.
Harkrider 93
AG
Looking at it now and this bites!

Hopefully, you type in your data, and it will do the math for you. Based on what it is asking for, it looks like this will do a much better job of estimating what is needed if you know the ballpark figures for "other adjustments".

Before, I knew how many dependents I had to add, but had to watch a few paychecks to adjust.

Harkrider 93
AG
Both my Jan paychecks had last year's dependents # on it, and the taxes withheld was the same as previous checks.

I am going to reevaluate once the first paycheck comes in Feb. It looks like they are withholding the same until you change it.
Matsui
AG
just put single 0
Ryan34
AG
foleyt said:

you can jack up your dependents to make your withholding essentially zero and specify the exact amount you want in the "additional withholding" box

It sounds like the OP basically wants no taxes withheld from his check and I guess pay them all when he files his tax return. Why anyone would want to do that, no idea.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
TVM
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.