Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What do you do with your emergency fund?

4,172 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JSKolache
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mine is stuck in an online savings account. It's only drawing a pitiable 1%, but it's liquid and safe. I don't want to tie it up in a CD, and that's a pretty crappy return, as well.

Is there some better vehicle that I'm not thinking of, or do I just suck it up and earn my couple hundred bucks a year in interest?
Sooner Born
To me, it's an emergency fund. I don't really care about earning money on it. I do care about it being easily accessible and that I can count on it staying the same balance, regardless of world events.
TXTransplant
AggieChemist said:

Mine is stuck in an online savings account. It's only drawing a pitiable 1%, but it's liquid and safe. I don't want to tie it up in a CD, and that's a pretty crappy return, as well.

Is there some better vehicle that I'm not thinking of, or do I just suck it up and earn my couple hundred bucks a year in interest?

I probably have a larger emergency fund than what I need, but I've divided mine up. About 1/2 is in my Capital One savings account (that was earning 2%, but I think it's dropped below that). The other 1/2 is in some Fidelity index funds. These funds are balanced enough that I typically don't see huge swings, and I've had my money in them long enough that they'd have to lose about 1/2 their value in order for me to get to my original contribution. Still makes me nervous to think about a big drop, but that eases my mind a bit. And that money is still easily accessible to me, should I have an emergency that can't be handled by the savings account.

I also have a Roth IRA that I could use the principal from, if I got in a real bind.

And then there is my HSA, which is my emergency medical fund account. I've got about 3x my OOP max in there, and it's good to know that my other emergency fund accounts will only be used for non-medical emergencies.

I've used CDs off an on, and Cap One's 12 month CD rate has been slightly better than their savings rate over the last couple of years. But I pulled it out of the CD for now because I wanted access to the money (most likely to pay off a car early). I just haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Once I do that, I may put some of it back in a CD.
sts7049
AG
you ought to be able to find an online savings giving close to 2%. at least it's more than 1.
cjsag94
AG
I actually invest mine. Seen too much "emergency fund" money sit idle for decades. My answer might change if I feared for job security or lacked sufficient insurance coverage.

By investing the money, all that means is it is subject to same fluctuations as everything else.

Numbers.... Let's say you have $100,000 in non retirement assets.. and you want $30,000 designated as emergency fund. You could invest $70,000 and then earn that safe 1% on the other 30k.. which is safe and prudent. But why? At the end of the day, what you need is access to $30,000 (or at least psychologically you think you do).

Let's say I'm taking this position in mid 2008, and you lose half of investments over the next 18 months. You are now down to net worth of $50k vs $65k if you left the cash alone. I'm ok with that risk given the long term statistics... But if you don't sleep well without segregating that money... Then 1-1.7% is near the top right now from what I've seen.

On a side note.. part of my philosophy comes from years of experience. I've found that people set aside that emergency fund... But they then freak out if they need to use it. Instead, they request liquidation of investments for unexpected expenses. When I ask what about their emergency fund, they say that can't touch that because it's there for unexpected expenses?!? It is truly one of the more universal and perplexing individual behaviors I've witnessed throughout my career... And has contributed to my personal philosophy.

I acknowledge my comfort level in this won't be for everyone.
torrid
AG
This is what I've done in the past. I wanted to have an emergency fund to last up to a year.

I divided it into four CDs with one year terms, all staggered at 3 month intervals. I had enough in each to last me three months, and I could serially cash them out every quarter if needed.

Tumble Weed
I bought a boat with my emergency fund. If we have a flood, it is going to work great for that emergency.

Someone told me that I needed to diversify my funds, so I bought a second boat.
AggieChemist
AG
Tumble Weed said:

I bought a boat with my emergency fund. If we have a flood, it is going to work great for that emergency.

Someone told me that I needed to diversify my funds, so I bought a second boat.

My boat IS getting old...
OasisMan
AG
cjsag94 said:

I actually invest mine. Seen too much "emergency fund" money sit idle for decades....
this is the route I'm thinking
TwoMarksHand
AG
I've read this and though really hard about dropping my EF.

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/05/05/emergency-fund/

Still haven't made the switch but I may.
The Lost
usually i keep half in savings and deal with it so i have a quick fix, the rest is in something like basic etfs/index funds as mentioned here.
Baby Billy
AG
No more than 3 months... 6 is way too much
brownbrick
AG
Mine is invested in tax free-munibond fund...tax free growth so its accessible with no tax issues.
Sooner Born
TwoMarksHand said:

I've read this and though really hard about dropping my EF.

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/05/05/emergency-fund/

Still haven't made the switch but I may.
So this is basically where I'm at. My emergency fund is maybe $5k that sits in a savings account...which is why I don't really care about growth.

I have access to plenty of credit and other monies if a true emergency should arise.
bmks270
AG
I leave some of my brokerage account in cash that I can wire transfer if I need it ASAP. I can't think of why I'd need immediate cash with credit cards but you never know.
Ogre09
AG
I keep mine in long term CDs not at my primary bank. It's accessible enough (walk in to a local branch or wait 3 business days for an online transfer) that I can get it if I need it. I can float a purchase/payment on credit card or personal line of credit for a few days if I need to. And it's inaccessible enough that I don't spend it frivolously (no debit card/ATM/checks to access directly). I don't plan on using it, and am willing to forego some of the accrued interest if I do have to pull it. The return isn't great, but the security and accessibility is.
GE
AG
I think it really depends on how much money you make vs. your necessity expenses.

If you're investing several thousand dollars monthly, have healthy credit, and are generally financially responsible, then it may not be necessary to have much of one at all. If you are just scraping by and having to replace a broken AC unit means you're drawing an amount of high interest credit that it's going to take you half a year to pay back down, it's probably a good idea to work to put away several thousand dollars to use in case of emergency.

The other consideration if what if you lose your job in a market that's way down? It seems there should be some strategy to get by for a few months without liquidating investments a major loss to pay for routine living expenses.
one MEEN Ag
AG
It totally depends on what your definition of 'emergency fund' is.

Is it your car breaking down and you need to get it repaired/new car? Is it a new roof or AC system?
Is it to cover base expenses if you lose your job? Can any of these situations be better offset by better budgeting?

Does it need to be enough to cover your medical max out of pocket, and you losing a job, and COBRA? Are you offsetting by any severance you'd get upon being fired?

Does it need to be one hunk of money sitting in one account?

I'm trying to think of what kind of emergency I could get myself into that I had to have the money in my account in under 3 business days.

sts7049
AG
Nigerian princes don't wait long for their deposit verifications, man
GigEm81
AG
If it is truly emergency money, it should not be in the equity market IMHO. You risk having to sell equities in a down market to fund emergencies. Not good.

Having said that, how much you need to keep in cash depends on a sober assessment of your risks of job loss, likelihood of surprise expenses and your access to credit

I keep mine in a MM account.
lb3
AG
Dr T and the Women
AG
Marcus by Goldman is great for this.

1.7% last I checked. easy to sweep into your regular account. I keep my "cash" there until I deploy for investments but same situation
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pahdz
my credit union has a similarly terrible savings rate, but if I just leave it all in the checking account the interest they pay on that is waaaay more.
JSKolache
AG
Same boat here. Id stick the whole pot in my robinhood account tomorrow, if Mrs wouldnt freak out. Park it in a trading account that you can get to in 4-5 business days, and you should be GTG floating credit card for one weeks time until a transfer goes thru.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.