Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Health Insurance Issue (Cobra coverage terminated)

968 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAGFAN
TXAGFAN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I left my employer a few months ago and the COBRA benefits provider really screwed up (long story) and my coverage was just dropped. I am filing an appeal as I have proof of payment/delivery, but in the meantime I am freaking out a bit as I have no insurance.

My initial thought is I can get a new policy and cancel when my previous policy is hopefully reinstated, but seems like there are a lot of weird laws/rules about when you can and cannot get a policy. I don't want to be uninsured obviously.

Any suggestions, maybe someone on here is knowledgeable about that. Thanks in advance.
one MEEN Ag
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I left my employer a few months ago and the COBRA benefits provider really screwed up (long story) and my coverage was just dropped. I am filing an appeal as I have proof of payment/delivery, but in the meantime I am freaking out a bit as I have no insurance.

My initial thought is I can get a new policy and cancel when my previous policy is hopefully reinstated, but seems like there are a lot of weird laws/rules about when you can and cannot get a policy. I don't want to be uninsured obviously.

Any suggestions, maybe someone on here is knowledgeable about that. Thanks in advance.
Not sure about fixing COBRA, but that should be a qualifying event to be able to let you get health insurance through either private individual plans or the healthcare.gov marketplace.
TXAGFAN
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

TXAGFAN said:

Not sure about fixing COBRA, but that should be a qualifying event to be able to let you get health insurance through either private individual plans or the healthcare.gov marketplace.
I agree, that seems clear. Just trying to avoid an issue if/when I expect my COBRA Coverage resumes?
AgPT06
AG
Get a short term plan through Golden Rule (United). Its a PPO. It wont cover anything pre-existing, but its cheap and covers anything that may happen in the mean time. In fact if you dont have pre-existing, it may be better to do this instead of cobra (assuming you have new coverage expected in the next few months). This is what I did and provided good coverage during a gap we had. The COBRA was going to be $1500/month and the United short term plan was a few hundred bucks/month. It had a huge deductible, but got us in to a good orthopedist when my daughter broker her arm during that time. The good thing about Cobra is if done correctly you can skip paying for a month and retro it if timed right. So if you get new coverage it may not be even necessary to pay the COBRA. May be terrible advice for your situation.
TXAGFAN
AG
AgPT06 said:

Get a short term plan through Golden Rule (United). Its a PPO. It wont cover anything pre-existing, but its cheap and covers anything that may happen in the mean time. In fact if you dont have pre-existing, it may be better to do this instead of cobra (assuming you have new coverage expected in the next few months). This is what I did and provided good coverage during a gap we had. The COBRA was going to be $1500/month and the United short term plan was a few hundred bucks/month. It had a huge deductible, but got us in to a good orthopedist when my daughter broker her arm during that time. The good thing about Cobra is if done correctly you can skip paying for a month and retro it if timed right. So if you get new coverage it may not be even necessary to pay the COBRA. May be terrible advice for your situation.
No this isn't bad advice at all.

I am always apprehensive about the pre-existing condition clause as I am overweight. Always concerned that it could be problematic if for example I had a heart attack or something would they say it's preexisting. Not an insurance expert and typically well insured (ie I'm the type who carries an umbrella liability policy).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.