Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What would you do?

1,894 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HouAggie2007
sockdoctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and I will have roughly 150K to put towards a house downpayment late fall of this year. This will be our primary home. House cost will be around $500K. We hope to eventually get into the real estate market to generate some passive income.

A few questions:
Should we throw all 150K at the house downpayment? We are weighing doing a 15-yr vs 30-yr mortgage.
Should we reduce our downpayment to just 20% and save the rest towards the rental properties.
We should be able to save roughly $50-75K/year towards rental properties.
752bro4
AG

Quote:

Should we throw all 150K at the house downpayment? We are weighing doing a 15-yr vs 30-yr mortgage.

You do not get any more favorable of a rate by putting down 30% vs. 20%. Stick with 20%, and use the additional $50k as a downpayment on your investment.

15 vs 30 year - depends on what you're comfortable with cashflow-wise. It's also possible to do a 30 year and make additional payments to amortize at a 15 year, and if something changes in your life and money is tight, you don't have to make the additional payments. Downside is a slightly higher rate.

Quote:

Should we reduce our downpayment to just 20% and save the rest towards the rental properties.

IMO, yes

Quote:

We should be able to save roughly $50-75K/year towards rental properties.

Good, buy one a year or every other year, leverage the hell out of them, (75/25 debt/equity, if possible) and enjoy the life of a landlord. There are several on this site who have done this or are currently doing it. There is a wealth of information available online (and here) that would be a great resource about being a landlord, investing in the right deals, and scaling up your deals from single family homes to duplex/4-plex, to small apartments to syndication investing.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
If you have good credit, consider a conventional loan. Make sure you put at least 20% down. Possibly look at living in one side of a duplex for a couple of years until you have enough to purchase a second house and make that your home. Make sure you know a good handyman though.
permabull
AG
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Heres a thought . Buy a 4 plex with a 30 year mortgage and move in a unit for 6 months or a year? Than use tiny profits to pay for your home that doesn't earn revenue.

But You get 4 renters and 4 renter headaches to start a portfolio
Bobaloo
This suggestion might be worth noting:

Monthly payment (including taxes and insurance) should be no more than 25% of your take home pay on a 15 year fixed rate mortgage.

- Dave Ramsey
diehard03
I would buy the least amount of house I could stand to live in and upgrade later when you're on the other side of the success curve. 500k seems high to me, personally.
sockdoctor
Good options to consider but I don't think we want to buy something where we'd share a wall with anyone.

We are in Denver where the median home prices are just north of 450K.
HouAggie2007
HouAggie2007
Yeah 500 on the Denver area is hard and potentially on the low end.

Also ignore the Ramsey's, this conversation is for grown ups
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.