Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Homeowners Insurance question - not all flooring was damaged in two rooms

842 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jenn96
LeftyAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure which board this best belongs on so I am posting here and another board.

Short version,,, I own a rental house and last month a new renter moved in.
She hooked up her washer and ran a load of towels. It turns out the washer drainage line is clogged and the drain overflowed and flooded into the utility room and then through the doorway into the kitchen, then under the wall in the kitchen and into a bedroom.

I had ServPro come out and take care of the remediation... drying out the place, removing baseboards and they removed the vinyl flooring in the utility room and also removed some in the kitchen and in the adjoining bedroom (in the BR closet).

I filed my claim with Homeowners of America insurance just came back and gave me their estimate, it is under my deductible so their is no payment on the claim (the deductible is high but that is another subject).

I'm not sure how homeowners insurance works as I have never filed a claim... Is it standard practice to only give you an estimate to replace just a portion of the room's flooring that was damaged?
Their estimate is to replace approx 50% of the kitchen's flooring and 30% of the bedroom flooring.

So I am supposed to pay to replace the remaining (undamaged) portion of the kitchen and bedroom? Who wants mismatched flooring! Is that standard practice to quote that way?

Also, the Insurance co worked with ServPro and it appears the fee isn't included in my claim. Is that normal? I haven't seen a bill either.

lead
I don't think that's "standard practice", but have you read your policy?
aTm_bomb
AG
I have HO of A and recently had a claim for extensive mold in our guest bathroom. House was built in the 50s and not clear how long the mold issue had been there. Bathroom was the original tile so replacement was impossible.

All remediation was covered but that was effectively our deductible so we paid it. My understanding is that they are responsible for making you whole, aka bring your home back to similar condition before the event. That doesn't mean it's exactly the same, but similar standard of finish

What this meant for us was a a complete bathroom update since we never would have been able to match what originally remained after remediation. Look at it as a discounted renovation if you have to.

Insurance job is to give you back the living space before, a laundry room and kitchen and trim with no damage. They don't care what color or style it is as long as it functions as it did before.

Having said that, I was happy with how Home Owners handled our claim, it was processed quickly and the settlement amount was larger than I expected. Had a good 3rd party adjuster sit down and explain her process and what to expect in the claim. Wrote a very favorable report that insurance didn't fight at all.
permabull
AG
jenn96
AG
We had a similar situation with water damage and they only replaced flooring in rooms that were contiguous with the damage. So if there was a door room break and the attached room flooring wasn't damaged they didn't pay for the room, but covered the entire area of the damaged room. That was even if a match to the original wasn't available.

We had USAA, they covered ServePro but we had to pay the entire deductible, which in that house was close to $7000. Total damages were around $15,000.
LeftyAg89
AG
Hey Jenn, are you saying USAA paid for ServPro? Or it was included in the claim amount?
jenn96
AG
Included in the claim. I paid for them (since it was the night of the incident) and I sent the receipts to USAA, and they counted that against my deductible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.