Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Provisional Patent Application

776 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by torrid
turboboost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any Aggies in here have experience with applying for a PPA? Was the process painful? Got a project I'm working on that may need a PPA for initial protection.

TIA
Dr. Horrible
I have. It sucked. Especially when it turned out that our final application ended up getting denied. Made the sting that much worse.

Granted, that was the experience of doing it in a corporate setting with corporate legal/IP people. Maybe a solo experience is different.
TXTransplant
A provisional application is just a placeholder in order to secure your priority date. This is important since the law is now first to file.

You're better off filing a provisional application that is as close to your final application as possible. Meaning, don't just file power point slides or notes or raw data. Write up a full and complete application. You have a year to finish development and update the provisional application with any new information and file it as a non-provisional.

And hire a professional - either a patent attorney or a patent agent. I am a registered patent agent. There is a reason why you have to pass an exam to practice before the USPTO. No matter how novel and inventive your invention is, if you don't understand patent law and what the USPTO examiners expect, you're going to have a hard time being successful.
Danger Mouse
AG
I'm a former Patent Examiner, now a practicing patent attorney for the last 20 years. Hit me by private mail and I can guide you on it.
torrid
AG
Is this for your work? I work at a mid-sized company, and we have an on-staff attorney and a patent committee that manages the various proposals. The actual applications are sent to an outside law firm for filing.

Regardless of size, any company should have a procedure in place and a lawyer they can consult for patents.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.