Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Selling a vet pratice

2,370 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bocephus
Teacher_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Mom and Dad are finally getting ready to sell the vet practice they opened up in 1981 and have run ever since. My Dad has an associate vet working for him that wants to buy, but I think he's in way over his head on how the selling process works. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of someone who has done it before or who specializes in that kind of thing who could help advise him or help him figure it out. I'd really appreciate any help!
gigemhilo
AG
Vet Practice Sales

Pretty much any industry out there has a broker experienced in selling that type of business. You would have to pay for services, but you will get invaluable advice and a true appraisal by going through a broker.
752bro4
AG
Does your dad/mom own the real estate too? That would be a separate transaction if so, and can sometimes wait till later down the road, but should be addressed as a right of refusal or right of offer for a period of time if/when the new owner wants to purchase.

The sales price is typically either a multiple of EBITDA (as low as 3x as high as 19x...Thanks, Mars!) or a multiplier of revenue (0.8x - 1.25x). It depends on a lot of things including geography, growth potential, size of clinic (other associates?), lease term/rate, fixed equipment (owned or leased), etc...

If selling to your associate, it will usually be done partially owner-financed, and with a bank note. BoA, WF, and Live Oak Bank all have good vet practice lending programs. Final sales price will have to work with cash flow to ensure a debt service coverage ratio. Some of these have fixed programs, others have SBA lending which is floating rate, typically LIBOR + 200, plus or minus. Your parents' clinic's bank may be the easiest route, especially if there's an established relationship.

Your mom/dad should also be expected to hang around for a transition period (6 months - 2 years), and have a hefty non-compete to prevent him/her from starting up a new practice in the same area.

Let's say you can come up with an EBITDA of $250k and a 4x (using these for the sake of easy math) multiplier is normal for your area, so sales price of $1MM. Look for something like this:
$100k cash at close from Associate
$150k owner financing (5 years at 7% using here, $36k/annual debt service)
$750k lender financing (10 years at 6% using here, $100k/annual debt service)

That would get you a debt service ratio around 1.8x, which most lenders would accept.
Dwjdvm
AG
https://simmonsinc.com/ is good resource.

Where is the clinic located? If the associate is not fully wanting to buy in and it is around the DFW area, I work for a group that might be interested in buying. Even better if the associate wants to be a part owner but not take on the whole risk.
The Wonderer
AG
Everything 752Bro said.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Thank yall so much! 752, my dad would like to get into touch with you if possible.
752bro4
AG
If you can post an email address, I'll be happy to reach out.

Just for the record though, my wife is the vet, and I'm just a guy who knows a little bit here and there about the process and business.
bmfvet
AG
752 pretty much nailed it. If your parents don't know the EBIDTA, they need to have their accountant get them that number as it is how most practices are valued now. There may be ways for them to increase that number if it is low. Most consolidators are going to look at the last few years.
They need to decide if they want to sell to the associate or look at one of the groups. Some offer the option to roll a percentage into the bigger groups so you can see additional gains down the road vs. a straight up sale.
We were the third practice in a group that is now one of the largest in the country. I'd be happy to help if there are more questions.
752bro4
AG
Do you have an email address handy I can reach you at? I've got a couple of questions since it looks like you've been down this road a few times.
bmfvet
AG
Username at aol.
Teacher_Ag
AG
752bro4
AG
Sent emails to both of you
Bocephus
AG
Bad Motherf#*ker vet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.