Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Blockchain.

3,325 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
lead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This thread isn't intended for discussion of crypto currencies.

Is Blockchain still an emerging technology of interest? It's been a long time since I paid attention, but I seem to recall corporations going out of their way to incorporate "blockchain" into their business. Then it appears to have stopped. What gives? I never understood it well enough to know its usefulness/applicability.
lead
Less anecdotal from google trends:

administrative errors
lead said:

This thread isn't intended for discussion of crypto currencies.

Is Blockchain still an emerging technology of interest? It's been a long time since I paid attention, but I seem to recall corporations going out of their way to incorporate "blockchain" into their business. Then it appears to have stopped. What gives? I never understood it well enough to know its usefulness/applicability.

Ask China.

Short answer there's a large variety of projects finalizing their products in a wide breadth of industries.

There's more and more interest/development and discussions at large national/international banks.

One of my favorite projects that has been productive is Ubiquity, blockchain title company.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
YouBet
AG
Yes, it's still an emerging technology of interest. I see it heavily discussed in every technology roadmap produced by every vendor I talk to and associate with in my own industry. Now, how practical it actually is in the near future is a separate question.
administrative errors
YouBet said:

Yes, it's still an emerging technology of interest. I see it heavily discussed in every technology roadmap produced by every vendor I talk to and associate with in my own industry. Now, how practical it actually is in the near future is a separate question.

In some industries "it'll be added to a blockchain" is added to every pitch, because.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

I am amped.
Vernada
AG
administrative errors said:

YouBet said:

In some industries "it'll be added to a blockchain" is added to every pitch, because.

Because it's part of their big data paradigm shift that empowers them to optimize their value proposition?
LOYAL AG
AG
Vernada said:

YouBet said:

Because it's part of their big data paradigm shift that empowers them to optimize their value proposition?
This reminds me nobody gave me this years Dilbert desk calendar for Christmas.
YouBet
AG
Vernada said:

YouBet said:

Let's not boil the ocean here.
Ulrich
It's still trendy, but I think it's becoming understood well enough that most industries can't get away with using it for branding when it doesn't make sense. Definitely being adopted though.
Foamcows
AG
its the replacement for RFID as a buzzword...
mazag08
AG
Overhyped, oversold tech that's main purpose was to generate cash for creators and early adopters at the expense of useful idiots who thought it would "change the world". It's merely a trendy tool with never ending "potential" to keep it fresh and in the news so idiots continue to waste money on it.
Proposition Joe
No blockchain/bitcoin thread would be complete without administrative errors pumping it at every opportunity and mazag08 bashing it at every opportunity.
administrative errors
Foamcows said:

its the replacement for RFID as a buzzword...
it really is.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
administrative errors
Ulrich said:

It's still trendy, but I think it's becoming understood well enough that most industries can't get away with using it for branding when it doesn't make sense. Definitely being adopted though.

It's 2010's version of "we've got you in the cloud"

[Business owners] what the f is the cloud anyways?

"It's gonna be a blockchain-based tracking system"
[Business owners] what the f is a blockchain anyways?

I find it humorous that both concepts are relatively similar yet different.
Cloud [stored on somebody else's computer via internet]
Public Blockchain [everyone's computer stores it and verifies validity of information simultaneously]
Private Blockchain [fancy buzzword for an internal database]
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
mazag08
AG
Proposition Joe said:

No blockchain/bitcoin thread would be complete without administrative errors pumping it at every opportunity and mazag08 bashing it at every opportunity.

I literally thought that while typing, hesitated, and then posted anyway.
administrative errors
mazag08 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Were both attempting to save the world from its own idiocy, and somehow we're at odds.

Mazag is no different, in my eyes, than someone who claims there's no benefits to cannabis consumption at any level, forever, "because I said so and I bought a cbdeez once from the intertrons and it didn't work so it's a scam."
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
mazag08
AG

mazag08 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Were both attempting to save the world from its own idiocy, and somehow we're at odds.

Mazag is no different, in my eyes, than someone who claims there's no benefits to cannabis consumption at any level, forever, "because I said so and I bought a cbdeez once from the intertrons and it didn't work so it's a scam."
Nah. I likely just didn't lay the sarcasm on strong enough. I think smoking weed is stupid, but I dont deny the benefits of CBD. Blockchain has been the real value all along. Bitcoin is the farce that is continuing to prove that its value is purely in speculation. But thats for another thread.
administrative errors
mazag08 said:

mazag08 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Nah. I likely just didn't lay the sarcasm on strong enough. I think smoking weed is stupid, but I dont deny the benefits of CBD. Blockchain has been the real value all along. Bitcoin is the farce that is continuing to prove that its value is purely in speculation. But thats for another thread.
Exactly my point:
"I don't like bitcoin but blockchain is cool"

is the same person that says
"smoking cannabis is stupid [very scientific definition] but a specific isolated cannabinoid (out of over hundred cannabinoids and with infinite combinations of terpenes and flavonoids) that is a buzz word, CBD, is definitely beneficial."
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
administrative errors
mazag08 said:

mazag08 said:

Proposition Joe said:

And maybe it's simpler than I've made it out to be, But at this point, I don't understand what anything's "value" is other than speculation. At this point I don't even know where to start.

Sorry, going back to"smoking weed is stupid"
It's one thing to have an opinion, especially a strong one.
But it would be another thing to state, "smoking cannabis, while the quickest method for relief and bioavailability and easiest to properly dose yourself, I abhor burnt smell of cannabis and believe there are undisclosed health detriments that will be proven in future clinical trials" but you went with "smoking weed is stupid."

It reeks of the similar assumption the same "type of person" [npc?] who argues "blockchain good bitcoin stupid." Maybe the right word is shallow.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
ac04
where is blockchain providing more value than bitcoin?
administrative errors
ac04 said:

where is blockchain providing more value than bitcoin?
the speculation on the value of blockchain is more valuable than the speculation on the value of bitcoin, no I won't define value. Duh.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
YouBet
AG
The only (supposedly) real world blockchain use case I've seen, which is built for elitist deuchebags, is a pitch I saw from a startup company who is using it to guarantee the coffee beans in your coffee.

They are sourcing handpicked coffee beans from small batch (for lack of a better term) coffee growers and using blockchain from source to consumer to guarantee the coffee going down your throat is actually from beans on that random hillside in Africa.
Buck Compton
AG
YouBet said:

The only (supposedly) real world blockchain use case I've seen, which is built for elitist deuchebags, is a pitch I saw from a startup company who is using it to guarantee the coffee beans in your coffee.

They are sourcing handpicked coffee beans from small batch (for lack of a better term) coffee growers and using blockchain from source to consumer to guarantee the coffee going down your throat is actually from beans on that random hillside in Africa.
It's currently being built to drive smart land/royalty contracts in Oil & Gas E&P. It's being looked at to verify fresh grocery supply chains. It can track airplane maintenance as well as confirm revenue recognition because of the difficulties with that in the Airline industry (this one has been implemented - I can confirm as I've seen the program). Of course, financial institutions are using them to better facilitate cross-border and cross-institution transfer clearing. This is huge from a risk perspective for banks.

Bitcoin remains speculation, but there are very specific transactional and tracking uses where the underlying blockchain technology is proving useful. It doesn't have to be consumer-facing to impact the consumer and provide value (most of it by definition won't be). I'm not the expert, but I work with some people who are. Most of the use cases are cost-saving or controls-focused.
ac04
wow, an immutable ledger that helps companies transfer value sounds really powerful. imagine if someone created one that could be used by anyone anywhere in the world.
Ryan34
AG
Blockchain is still an emerging technology, but private blockchain probably has more viability for enterprises than public blockchain, much to the chagrin of the early adopters. It also isn't necessarily "revolutionary" but potentially allows companies to do things they could before (like peer to peer integration) more securely, automated, and easily.
administrative errors
I'm uncertain as to which early adopters you speak, majority I'm familiar with are effusive with praise about more people in the space and more projects and attempts at private blockchains. If you could have an immutable private ledger with the resilience of the bitcoin public ledger, you might have something "valuable" [imo, Bitcoin is always* going to be the crypto backbone, similar to a Level3].

The "value" of something provably unique/original is yet to be understood or quantified as is the network that affords such designation, despite price predictions/exchanges/etc. What is the "value" of standardized trade without middlemen pecking out a piece of every iota of data or value [via taxes/fees/services] over and over again ad infinitum?

I definitely don't know the answer, because I can't even define value in a satisfying manner, anymore. What is the value of the Internet? Or what is the value of HTML? What is the value of A blockchain? What is the value of A walmart blockchain? What value is redundancy or privacy? What is the value of a dollar? What is the value of a salesman?

Why?
Can you prove it?
How can you provide it?
My short answer for most of those is "depends on your ability" and how do you quantify that?

Doesn't it all come back to faith/trust? How much is trust or faith worth? How fragile is faith/trust?

How valuable is a social security number when everything tied to a ssn is now freely available to dark Web participants?
I have inform many customer as they flinch at a credit card application request for SSN, "listen lady, your **** is already out there, no one is capable of keeping you safe, just stop being a sissy and vote for the next generation of identity management when it pops up, cuz this one seems to be fubar, get your discount and let's roll, money isn't real anyways but the appliances are"

[Visceral stream ended]

Tldr
Nothing is real, everything is temporary, especially value.
Coming soon:
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Addiction services

I am amped.
lead
Username checks out
torrid
AG
For sake of argument, assume there is value to blockchain. Bitcoin has set back any public acceptance of it by decades.
administrative errors
torrid said:

For sake of argument, assume there is value to blockchain. Bitcoin has set back any public acceptance of it by decades.

*creates bitcoin and thereby blockchain*
Decade later
"Bitcoin ruined blockchain"

That's like saying
"The Internet set acceptance of email by a decade, because faxing is cool"

Edit:
[Sorry, that was a little "talking down" of me]
It's hard for block chain to be adopted any quicker as nearly none of them are functioning yet and are being built. Good software takes nearly a decade to work right and most projects [besides bitcoin] are still within the first 5 years of moving from idea to reality. For the sake of argument "blockchain" ideals are currently unable to be realized, especially by the public, due to its nascent status. And then there's ignorance due to terminology that people think "blockchain is blockchain" when there's such a large variety of different blockchain ideals, starting at public/private blockchains, centralized decentralized, alterable/unalterable, etc. Most won't even glance at these topics let along engorged their curiosity on the subject....and it shows in the way they talk about it.

Bitcoin works, has worked, and continues to work as advertised for over a decade. Whether it'll be the alpha and omega of "blockchains" is yet to be determined, but is honestly a silly discussion.

The beautiful thing aboUT blockchain and crypto currencies is the transparency and ability to "CHOOSE YOUR IDEAL MECHANISM" versus being forced into a government sanctioned one.
bmks270
AG
torrid said:

You don't understand blockchain. You're comment may be appropriate for blockchain crypto-currencies, but that is only one implementation of the technology.

It's already being used in industry where it can add value.

Duncan Idaho
YouBet said:

I am an idiot but I dont see how improved ledgering means that I cant mix select ingredients with random bulk ingredients.

I am sure that there is a journal entry that a bag of beans from this one farm went into a roaster and only one bag's worth of beans went out the door but I dont see how it means that the one bag of beans wasnt dumped in the roaster with 100 other bags from different farms and then package as a single sourced coffee.
bmks270
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

YouBet said:

I am an idiot but I dont see how improved ledgering means that I cant mix select ingredients with random bulk ingredients.

I am sure that there is a journal entry that a bag of beans from this one farm went into a roaster and only one bag's worth of beans went out the door but I dont see how it means that the one bag of beans wasnt dumped in the roaster with 100 other bags from different farms and then package as a single sourced coffee.

Interesting, but I think this is a case of applying blockchain where it doesn't add any more value than existing solutions.

bmks270
AG
One promising blockchain crypto currency I've been following for a while is chain link. Their goal is to make contract execution automatic based on real world events. The data for the events would come from trusted data providers.

In the derivatives market contracts could instantly executed based on closing price of the underlying.
Use cases also include insurance contracts and betting contracts.

The biggest red flag is that the creators set aside a huge mount of the chain link cryptocurrency that they alone control. They say they will distribute it to seed the nodes that will execute contracts (which need a reserve holding).

https://chain.link/

https://blog.chain.link/exploring-the-wide-variety-of-winning-chainlink-applications-from-recent-hackathons/
administrative errors
bmks270 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

YouBet said:

Interesting, but I think this is a case of applying blockchain where it doesn't add any more value than existing solutions.

"improved validated logistical truths"
Prove your local Bodega isn't dealing mob trafficked goods.

Now whether demand of block chain services and cryptocurrencies meets exceeds or fails to deliver on demands and promises is yet to be determined.... despite consistent criticisms/ and prognostications of success/failures. I personally enjoy the "survival of the fittest code" we have happening in the space.
YouBet
AG
bmks270 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

YouBet said:

Tend to agree. Really seems to be an over-engineereed solution just so someone can claim they are consuming very elite and non-violent coffee beans.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.