Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Elder care - cross posted in HF

2,245 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by investorAg83
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A family member has dementia. The dementia is bad enough that he can't be taken care of at home or at a typical nursing facility however, it's not bad enough to be put in one of those full blown memory care units. He currently is in a memorably care center that's pretty nice. It runs about $9000 per day. Thank goodness for long term care insurance.

That said, he fell the other day and now needs around the clock attention..at least until he recovers from a brain hemorrhage and a broken shoulder. he walks a lot and doesn't sit still.

The problem is that this additional care costs an additional $575 per day. I don't have that kind of money - I doubt few do. That said, there are countless home health companies. Who is paying for these? Obviously someone is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on financial assistance? He is a veteran and has Medicare and tricare.

Tia
nactownag
AG
You must mean 9000/month?

Does he have any assets outside of home and auto? If so, he should spend those assets and then could look into Medicaid.

aggiepaintrain
AG
get a social worker if he does not have one, he or she will walk you through it

pretty sure once he has exhausted all of his assets then the govt will step in (some)

good luck, hope he gets the care he needs

cjsag94
AG
Your price quotes have got to be wrong. You are quoting $270,000 per month, and now an extra $15,000 per month to get round the clock. (LTC doesn't touch those numbers on a monthly basis). Even $900 per day is very high. Most places I've seen for memory care are $6,000-$10,000 per month.

If those are remotely close, and you are currently covering most of it, you'll have no trouble finding someone to quit their job and take care of your family.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Have you tried contacting the VA. Sometimes I'm amazed by the services they offer.
jm94
AG
OP corrected himself in the Health & Fitness thread - it's $9000/month.
investorAg83
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Have you tried contacting the VA. Sometimes I'm amazed by the services they offer.

VA isn't going to have anything except a wait list for a bed in a VA facility and it won't really be the care it sounds like he needs.

If he's a veteran and served during a time of war, even if it was only a day, he'd potentially qualify for the aid and attendance benefit. Assuming his expenses are higher than his income, it might be an add'l $1800/mo or so he could collect tax free. I have a contact that has help my clients file for the benefit free of charge...he's a veteran himself and just does it to stay busy. This pool of money the govt has set aside for this is only running at about 30-40% of capacity because few know about it.

https://www.veteransaidbenefit.org/eligibility_aid_attendance_pension_benefit.htm

Edit to add: I'd challenge your figures you're throwing out...my dad isn't suffering from memory but has pretty constant supervision through check ins and his total bill monthly is about $3200 (room, meals, prescription care, many check ins throughout the day, etc.
tailgatetimer10
AG
He may also qualify for VA long term care benefits.

This is the things I was talking about when I said to contact the VA.
investorAg83
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

He may also qualify for VA long term care benefits.

This is the things I was talking about when I said to contact the VA.

And he'll get on the wait list for a bed in a facility that will not be equipped to give him the care he needs.

I was a lead long term care consultant at USAA for a while. VA doesn't do much, if anything, for long term care.
SW AG80
AG
Ttt
Pelayo
AG
queso1 said:

A family member has dementia. The dementia is bad enough that he can't be taken care of at home or at a typical nursing facility however, it's not bad enough to be put in one of those full blown memory care units. He currently is in a memorably care center that's pretty nice. It runs about $9000 per day. Thank goodness for long term care insurance.

That said, he fell the other day and now needs around the clock attention..at least until he recovers from a brain hemorrhage and a broken shoulder. he walks a lot and doesn't sit still.

The problem is that this additional care costs an additional $575 per day. I don't have that kind of money - I doubt few do. That said, there are countless home health companies. Who is paying for these? Obviously someone is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on financial assistance? He is a veteran and has Medicare and tricare.

Tia
queso read this

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/what-is-a-miller-trust-14945
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
investorAg83
AG
I still question how the care need jumped from 9k per month to 25k per month. That can not be correct especially if he's here in Texas.

Either way, get with an attorney and financial advisor to discuss the best asset liquidation and any govt assistance.
Cancelled
AG
investorAg83 said:

I still question how the care need jumped from 9k per month to 25k per month. That can not be correct especially if he's here in Texas.

Either way, get with an attorney and financial advisor to discuss the best asset liquidation and any govt assistance.

I'm sorry. It was meant to be 9k per month. I changed it on the HF board. Apologies. Thanks to everyone.
YouBet
AG
queso1 said:

investorAg83 said:

I'm sorry. It was meant to be 9k per month. I changed it on the HF board. Apologies. Thanks to everyone.
Thank god! I was horrified at what you were supposedly paying!!!

We are paying about $8,500 for my FIL here in Dallas at a very nice place so I was floored by OP.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Looks like he would qualify for Hospice. Note that Hospice doesn't have to mean "end of life". ..just that he needs more attention than the care facility can give. Hospice is covered by Medicare, and some of their services can reduce the expenses at the care facility,
investorAg83
AG
queso1 said:

investorAg83 said:

In your OP you state it's 9k/mo and then an ADDITIONAL 575/day. Or am I reading that incorrectly?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.