Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Mark Hurd, co-CEO of Oracle, does at 62

2,041 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ORAggieFan
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Dies", sorry, auto-correct sucks.

Took a leave of absence just a month ago for health reasons, passed away a few days ago. If already posted my apologies, but what a big loss in the tech world.
GenericAggie
AG
Big loss? Who feels his absence?

The corporations he fleeced with obscure licensing rules and audits? Buddy, NOBODY will miss him in corporate America.

Sandman98
AG
GenericAggie said:

Big loss? Who feels his absence?

The corporations he fleeced with obscure licensing rules and audits? Buddy, NOBODY will miss him in corporate America.

Long way of saying good riddance?
FarmerJohn
AG
Oracle co-CEO Mark Hurd dies at 62
Quote:

Hurd began his career in 1980 as a salesman for National Cash Register Corp. (now NCR), then rose through the ranks to the CEO post. In 2005, he was hired away as CEO by Hewlett-Packard Co., then the world's biggest personal-computer maker. He resigned from HP when it determined he violated company standards by filing inaccurate expense reports to conceal a personal relationship with a contractor.

Hurd joined Oracle as a co-president in 2010. During his tenure there, Hurd produced solid revenue and profits as the Redwood City, Calif.-based company's stock price hit a historic high in 2019. He was also a key driver in Oracle's turn from an old model of licensing software toward the use of cloud computing, a burgeoning business dominated by rivals Amazon.com Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
Was curious what Mark Hurd had done that would lead to it being considered a big loss for the tech world. Not seeing it. Seems like he was decent at business and was an effective enough CEO. So he made some people money. But he's not a Jobs, Page, Brin, or Zuckerberg. He was not really a creator, which is fine.

And for the purposes of an A&M message board, he was a Baylor trustee during the Art Briles fiasco. He hadn't been on the board very long, so I wouldn't call him a leader there but he certainly was part of the expert stonewalling of the Title IX investigations, the revolving door of Baylor's Title IX coordinators, and the CYA Pepper Hamilton report.
FrioAg 00
AG
Don't know anything about him personally, but the business strategies he employed were awful. Smart, but awful.

I try very hard to avoid doing any business with them. I'll give them credit that they have made that difficult.
MGS
The only CEO of HP in the last twenty years that wasn't a total disaster.
ORAggieFan
You may not like the guy, or Oracle, but he was pretty damn good at what he did. This is coming from someone who's company was acquired by Oracle and I bolted after about 3 months I hated it so much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.