Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Drillers - What Is A Modern Success Rate?

3,699 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ulrich
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was at a party this weekend and an O&G lawyer made the claim that modern drillers are successful almost 100% of the time when drilling and that historically it might have been as low as 1 in 5.

Is this accurate?
birdman
They aren't successful 100% of the time now. They can break off, screw up the frac, or any other problems.
Madman
AG
In terms of drilling a well that could produce what success rate would be an accurate number to use as a guide?
PeekingDuck
AG
It is very close to 100% for major operators.
BigTex07
AG
If you are referring to North America unconventionals (shale plays) then yes, the success rate is near 100%. As birdman mentioned you could still have hole problems while drilling or problems with the completion. Historically the success rate in conventional exploratory wells is probably 20-30% as you said. This is still the case in the US with areas such as deepwater exploration. Once the extents of a conventional field are established the success rate for in-field drilling is much higher.
Ulrich
Sounds like he's comparing drilling into a known formation vs exploratory drilling.
RK
AG
define "success".

and are we talking actual drilling (mechanical)...or reservoir/discovery?
Illustrious Potentate
AG
I remember when we used to have to wait on geology to look at the OH logs to give us the green light to set pipe. Now we've got cement for the casing job loaded on location 3-4 days before we come off bottom at TD.
BrokeAssAggie
BigTex07 said:

If you are referring to North America unconventionals (shale plays) then yes, the success rate is near 100%. As birdman mentioned you could still have hole problems while drilling or problems with the completion. Historically the success rate in conventional exploratory wells is probably 20-30% as you said. This is still the case in the US with areas such as deepwater exploration. Once the extents of a conventional field are established the success rate for in-field drilling is much higher.
This is correct. An exploration well in the Lower Tertiary can have a dry hole cost of ~$200MM to $300MM, with a chance of commercial success of 20% to 30%. Pretty crazy when you think about the dollars at risk and the odds, but the payout can be HUGE in a discovery.
Madman
AG
Can you break down what that $300M might be spent on in rough terms. This much to X that much to Y.

Just ballpark.
BrokeAssAggie
Madman said:

Can you break down what that $300M might be spent on in rough terms. This much to X that much to Y.

Just ballpark.
The spread rate on a drill ship can be over $600K a day. A lower tertiary well can take 4 to 6 months to drill. That does not include all the costs associated with casing, logging, etc.
drill4oil78
AG
Had a deep water exploration project with a spread rate at close to $1MM a day,10+ ye ars ago. Used to tell the geologist the meter to the taxi was running at $700 minute.
jja79
AG
Not to sidetrack this thread but since this looks like a production thread I've got a question for production types.

What is the typical fluctuation in production for most wells?

I found out 18 months ago my dad had owned mineral rights for some lots he had bought and sold in Midland 50 years ago. Lucky me I've now got a tiny and I mean tiny interest in these 3 wells. They've been producing since January and have varied from 48,500 bbl one month to 1,000 bbl 6 months later. Most months have been 35,000 bbl or so. Is that big a swing normal?
Agman
AG
Well can go down for maintenance for a while
sts7049
AG
could be many explanations for that. maybe a maintenance issue, could be shut in for interference testing, sales constraints. hard to say.
birdman
As mentioned, you can have drop offs for lots of mechanical reasons.

That sounds like a pretty steep decline curve on new well. You got 1,500 barrels per day at the beginning. That flush production drops off quickly. Although, dropping to 30 barrels per day seems extreme. I suspect they are repairing something.

They could also be fracing the neighboring well. They might shut down your well while they frac it.
Ulrich
That's what I was thinking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.