Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Need help-Finances

2,503 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jtraggie99
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would like some advice on how folks handle: one income that is bi-weekly & one income that is 1st and 15th. I am bi-weekly and my wife is last day of the month and 15th. I'm finding it challenging to manage everything with a paycheck coming in every week basically.

If anyone has some experience, tips, advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
agchino
AG
Are you having cash flow issues while trying to budget on a monthly basis?

If that is the case you need to work on having some buffer in your checking account, don't put all your savings in your savings account, leave $500-$1000 (or more if needed) in your checking as buffer.

I get paid weekly, but I budget monthly, so some months we are short on income, and some months we are over on income (5 fridays in a month vs 4 fridays in a month). I budget by mutliplying my paychecks by 52 then divide by 12. Over the year it averages out, but I also keep buffer to cover the short months. Then large expenditures (say auto insurance twice a year) I have some automated transfers to my savings every month, and then automated transfers back to my checking twice a year to cover that.

For your case you could normalize your two different paychecks to their individual yearly totals, add them together, then divide the by 12 to get your total monthly average, then budget your expenses based on that.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I have three Google sheets tabs in a workbook.

In the first, I project my personal cash flows for the next two years. Today's date in Column A, +7 days about 5-10 lines down, etc. and then in Column B, my cash balance at that date, which is adjusted up or down by amounts in Column C (for instance, taxes are due 4/15). Then I describe that amount in Column D. Each week I update my sheet. Boom. Done.

In tab 2, I do the same thing for my business.

In tab 3, I track my net worth. All my assets and liabilities by month going back years. This has been instrumental to me, and I encourage other people to do this also. (Gary Keller describes doing this weekly in one of his books.)
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
easiest way is to build a buffer so you're using last month's income to pay this month's expenses ( this is something YNAB pushes for which I really like).

If you can get to that point, it doesn't matter when that money came in, you'll know exactly what you have to spend for October on the last day of September.

If you're having cashflow issues and have no real buffer, then it's a different problem IMO. If you are having cashflow issues, one thing I would suggest is trying to streamline/simplify things - i.e. have a single checking account that all of the paychecks go into, pay all bills from that account (or pay with cards and then have the cards paid off each month from that account). It's a huge PITA when you realize you have the money to cover your expenses, but it is distributed in a way that is going to leave one account short....until you get to the point where you have a good buffer, avoid it by being simple.
cjsag94
AG
Can you elaborate? What are you having trouble with specifically?

I get paid once per month, with several 5 week months thrown in for extra excitement. That can be challenging for people with cash flow struggles. But why is getting paid each week challenging?
RG20
Really just figuring out what bills to pay out of each check. Before the changes in pay dates I was settled into a routine every two weeks and knew exactly what needed to be paid and when.
dallasiteinsa02
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

easiest way is to build a buffer so you're using last month's income to pay this month's expenses ( this is something YNAB pushes for which I really like).

If you can get to that point, it doesn't matter when that money came in, you'll know exactly what you have to spend for October on the last day of September.

If you're having cashflow issues and have no real buffer, then it's a different problem IMO. If you are having cashflow issues, one thing I would suggest is trying to streamline/simplify things - i.e. have a single checking account that all of the paychecks go into, pay all bills from that account (or pay with cards and then have the cards paid off each month from that account). It's a huge PITA when you realize you have the money to cover your expenses, but it is distributed in a way that is going to leave one account short....until you get to the point where you have a good buffer, avoid it by being simple.

That is what I would recommend. Just go crazy for a few months living on nothing to get one month of income set aside.
TXTransplant
To the extent that I can (without making a late payment), I try to pay all my bills at the same time around the end of the month. I use the online bill pay service through my bank to help me with this. Any time I can, I set up recurring payments so I don't even have to think about paying those bills.

For example, I will make my mortgage payment for Oct on one of the last days of Sept, and that typically coincides with my second paycheck for the month (I'm paid bimonthly). That's also right around the time I pay my other household bills (electricity, water, gas). Most of my other recurring bills come around that time, too.

I also started waiting to pay my credit card bill until right before it's due (which also happens to be the end of the month). I usually have an entire month between when I get my statement and when the payment is due without penalties or interest. I used to pay it as soon as it came in, but instead I now schedule the payment for right at the due date as soon as I get the statement. This is something you can also use the online bill pay service through your bank to help you with.

Basically, what I'm doing is letting my account "fill up" before paying any bills. As extra money builds up over time, I move it to one of my higher-interest accounts. I try not to keep any more than what I need to cover expenses in the main account that I pay bills from.

Also, anything that I can pay by credit card, I do. This isn't a lot of expenses, but it does cover my gym membership and my security system. I get the points, and then I have that one month grace period before the bill is due (not that I need it, but as long as the cc company doing things that way, I'll take advantage).
cjsag94
AG
RG20 said:

Really just figuring out what bills to pay out of each check. Before the changes in pay dates I was settled into a routine every two weeks and knew exactly what needed to be paid and when.

I think you are way over thinking it. Is cash flow an issue?

If so, as everyone else is saying, get on a budget and build a buffer. Once that is done, then it won't matter when the funds arrive. I have everything possible Auto charge to my credit card, then just pay that once a month. Other than that, I have a couple of life insurance premiums, natural gas bill, mortgage, and car payments that are on Auto draft. I write zero checks each month.

Again, if cash flow is a problem where there are weeks you are broke, that may not work. Otherwise, just pay before the due date by whatever process you prefer.
John Francis Donaghy
Without knowing the details of your finances, it sounds like you might just need to reduce expenses.

Start by building a detailed budget of all your monthly expenses and the money that actually hits your bank account (not your full salaries, just what you actually get deposited in your account each pay period). This will give you a good look at your monthly picture.

If you're spending every penny you're getting paid, then you need to reduce expenses. Depending on what you're spending your money on, that may mean small changes like eating out less or cutting down on the Amazon shopping, and it may mean moving to a more affordable home or selling a car for a cheaper one. That's up to you to decide. But as long as you're living paycheck to paycheck, cashflow will always be an issue for you.

As stated above you need a buffer in your accounts so you aren't relying on the money coming in the next check to pay the bills in front of you now. The only way to get there is to live a little below your means.
WaynerAg03
What everybody above said. I will add that you might check if you can move the due date of the bill. I know most credit cards allow you to request a certain date and some other bills do too.
permabull
AG
Ulrich
Another rec for building a buffer, and if you find that difficult on two incomes, take a hard look at where your money is going.

I keep my 6 month emergency fund in a high interest savings account with a credit union. I never touch that account (other than a modest piece of each paycheck that is autodeposited) and forget about it most of the time, I don't really even know how much is in it anymore, but the point is that that money is off limits unless there is a real emergency.

Everything else hits my main checking account with a major bank. I keep 2-3 months of bills in there, and if I'm saving for a major purchase that's where I do it. Each month I check the balance, pay my bills, and move whatever excess is left over into one of my investment Fidelity investment accounts.

It's not especially efficient but I don't have to worry. That's what all this is really about, right? For the last few years I've focused on maximizing income, avoiding dumb purchases, and keeping my living expenses roughly flat. The rest is working itself out.
TombstoneTex
AG
Something that hasn't been mentioned that I would recommend and how I handled it when in the same situation.

Budget/live as if you will always only get two paychecks a month. Two months out of the year you will get an extra paycheck and be able to utilize it as a "bonus".
b0ridi
I agree with others. It sounds like you need to decrease expenses a bit and build a buffer.
cjsag94
AG
OP has not said he is having trouble affording his bills. I'm still waiting to hear if he actually has a cash flow problem, which is what everyone is assuming.

All he said is he's trying to figure out a new routine for paying which bills each week with this new schedule.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
cjsag94 said:

OP has not said he is having trouble affording his bills. I'm still waiting to hear if he actually has a cash flow problem, which is what everyone is assuming.

All he said is he's trying to figure out a new routine for paying which bills each week with this new schedule.

It's hard to imagine a reason that matters that doesn't involve a cash flow issue. Now, maybe the issue is that he is moving too much to savings and simply keeping more in checking will be fine, but there is zero reason to care about when money is coming in unless there is a chance money going out could be problematic.
cjsag94
AG
Hence my confusion to OPs question (and I think everyone is drawing that logical conclusion). He never said he was struggling with the funds to pay. He said he used to be in a nice groove, but now he's struggling with what his new routine should be.

Even when I asked, he didn't say cash flow was the problem . He just said trying to decide when to pay what bills. Maybe he'll drop in and clear up exactly what his challenges are.
RG20
Exactly, I m not having a problem with having enough money. My issue is with the timing of the income changing and when to pay bills...

I appreciate everyone's reply's and I actually lime the buffer in expenses, although I have about a $2,000 emergency fund, which I know is different.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
RG20 said:

Exactly, I m not having a problem with having enough money. My issue is with the timing of the income changing and when to pay bills...

I appreciate everyone's reply's and I actually lime the buffer in expenses, although I have about a $2,000 emergency fund, which I know is different.

I guess what I don't understand is -

if there is no cashflow issue, then why don't you just pay the bills when they're due (or better yet, set up autodraft and let it pull automatically).

2 years ago, we were single income with me getting paid every other Friday.
Then my wife started doing some part-time work where she got paid every other Friday as well.
Then I changed jobs to where I got paid on the 15th & the last day of the month while she got paid every other Friday.
Then she changed to subbing at our kids school which pays on like the 25th of the month following the work (i.e. she'll get paid around October 25th for September sub jobs.

None of it changes anything about our approach to bills because there is a full buffer.

Based on what you've mentioned, it sounds like you probably should just keep more margin in your checking account. My recommendation would be to add up all of your bills for a month and make sure that much is in there (plus a few hundred or so) at the beginning of the month. Then, you'll have bills take some out, paychecks resupply, etc. but you don't really have to care because you have enough in there to cover all of the bills even if NOTHING comes in.

So, if your expenses are $2,000 a month (just using round numbers), make sure you have $2,500 in your account on October 1.

Then, at some point in October you will have paychecks coming in. It doesn't really matter when because you can cover ALL of your bills until then, even if they are all taken out on October 2nd.
In theory, if you stick to your plan, you'll have enough for November in the account on Nov 1 (basically, it will be October 1 balance minus expenses plus paychecks).

Set up everything to autodraft (you can still keep an eye on it, but man - I would not want to think about writing and sending checks) and your system will be on autopilot.

When you have big, unexpected expenses, bring over money from savings to cover them.

When you have nice windfalls, handle them however you want, making sure you keep enough in that account to handle the month.

Let us know if we're still missing anything in particular.

txaggie_08
AG
Are you and your wife using separate checking accounts? If that's the case, why not consolidate into one account, and then all bills are being paid from that one account. Then you no longer have to worry about which days you'd be getting paid for each particular account.

If you each want separate spending money, you could then setup separate checking accounts that have a monthly direct deposit from your main account. I don't get the want for this kind of setup, but understand it works for some couples.
RG20
We just have one main checking account...to me it's easier to have it all come into same place. I do like this idea though of giving her an account then transferring money to it out of the main account.
RG20
Yeah, the buffer seems like the logical way to go. I appreciate the replies.

Thank you!
jtraggie99
AG
HYC_AG said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned that I would recommend and how I handled it when in the same situation.

Budget/live as if you will always only get two paychecks a month. Two months out of the year you will get an extra paycheck and be able to utilize it as a "bonus".

This is what I've done in the past. At one point a number of years ago, I was getting paid every other week. I have a monthly budget that I've used for years, and I just essentially split all bills and money out into two segments (beginning of the month and middle of the month. And you know which bills get paid with which paycheck. And then as the above poster said, two times a year you will have a month where you get three paychecks. Consider it a bonus.

Currently I get paid twice a month, and I still do the same thing. I keep a spreadsheet of what gets done with the paycheck on the 1st and what gets done with the money on the 15th. Simple and easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.