Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit Card Merchants

1,785 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use Intuit's GO PAYMENT which I utilize with my smart phone, so I can charge anywhere I'm getting a signal or on a wireless internet connection.
Anyway, doing my taxes and calculated my average fee per transaction was $5.60
I pay a monthly fee of $19.95 and a percentage on each swipe that varies (the type of card and whether I swipe in or enter the numbers manually (when cards are on file).
196 credit card transactions last year, average charge $144. Some pay cash and some checks. It's nice to have a credit card on file when they cancel late for no good reason or no show as I still charge the card.
Therefore,.... I'm considering encouraging the use of a card the first session (to get the card # on file) and then offer say a 2.5% discount for checks or cash (after the first session is paid with a credit card).
Does anyone recommend a credit card merchant account that is dependable, wireless, and has a lower transaction fee?
$1,098 per year in transaction fees seems a bit steep.
george_92
Square is the cheapest out there I believe.
cjsag94
AG
No info to help with your question, but as a consumer, I'd be unlikely to break out my checkbook for a $2.25 discount on a $144 bill. I'd also think you'd be better off just raising prices a bit. Also, why break even by offering the cash discount? If you're doing that, just avoid the customer confrontation and keep absorbing the fee with full price charge..or, adjust your price to average charge of $150. Just some alternate thoughts.

What about accepting electronic payments (venmo, paypal, etc). Are any of those any cheaper?

Edit... I see you aren't breaking even, but meeting in the middle. It's $500 to extra for you, $2.25 less for me.
LOYAL AG
AG
Most likely the best you're going to do is to approach your bank and talk to them about their merchant program. Some banks will offer this as effectively a loss leader. Here's more than you probably wanted to know about Merchant Processing. Hopefully this keeps you from making a bad decision, like contracting with First Data for five years.

The key piece of info to know before shopping is that there are dozens of card programs and damn near that many discounts. The discount is what V/MD/D/AMEX charges the processor to use their network. A debit card is priced differently than a no-rewards credit card which is different than a rewards credit card which is different than a business credit card. AMEX is priced different depending on whether the merchant subscribes to AMEX directly or whether they subscribe to them through their processor. The basic elements of the price the merchant pays are the discount and the profit to the processor. If you're talking to a sales person about their processor then that's a layer of profit that has to be paid. If that sales person doesn't work directly for the processor then they work for an ISO (Independent Sales Org) and that's another layer of profit. Understand that the discount doesn't change but every layer of profit costs you more money.

The other piece of info is to NOT sign a long term contract to lease a terminal. First Data has screwed more companies than you can imagine with 5-year terminal leases at $30/month for a piece of equipment that other processors would sell for $300. Do the math, it's a terrible deal but once you're locked into that hardware lease they know they've got you locked into their processing deal as well.

Pricing breaks basically three ways:

1. Flat rate pricing. This is what you have with QuickBooks and what Square has. You pay the same discount for every transaction. The only variation in that is card present or not with the latter being about .5% higher. FWIW there is a lower price to be had in QB/Intuit based on dollar volume but I don't think you'll qualify for it. Square and Intuit/QB charged about 2.75% discounts plus a nominal transaction fee. In a B2C environment they know that a percentage of those will be high cost reward cards and a percent will be dirt cheap debit cards. If I had to guess I'd say their effective price is 1% to 1.5%. It's not much higher than that and I tell you why I know that later.

2. Tiered pricing. Think of the various discounts on a line graph. From the cheapest which is a debt card to the most expensive which is the highest rewards cards and business purchasing programs. Tiered pricing takes that line and breaks it up usually into four segments then prices all transactions in that "tier" the same. So you might see cards with discounts from 2% to 2.5% at 2.4%, for example. This is a staple for First Data as it's a difficult program to decipher what you're really paying and it sets them up well to downgrade any given charge after the transaction is run. Those downgrades cost you money.

3. Interchange Plus. Unless you're doing strictly B2B sales this is virtually guaranteed to be the cheapest you can get. Go back to the effective pricing comment in 1 above. Debit transactions are priced at a very low discount, .8% or lower and sometimes a whole lot lower. Like .15%. Conversely credit cards are priced at 1.25% or more, sometimes well over 3%. With Interchange plus pricing the merchant pays exactly what V/MC/D/AMEX charges the processor plus a fixed markup. I've seem that markup be as high as 1% and I've seen it as low as .1%. The latter will come from your bank as a loss leader to get your banking relationship.

The end result of all of this is that the fixed price companies like Square and Intuit/QB cannot possibly be the cheapest and they aren't really trying to be. Square has used the profits from their processing to create a really, really good POS universe that has served a lot of small businesses really well. Intuit/QB builds it into their software because when you do it that way the bookkeeping in QB is done for you. I have a few clients on recurring charge and all I had to do was set it up one time and it does the rest for me. It generates the invoice, processes their card on file, deposits the cash and posts the payment and deposit into my QB file automatically, every month without fail. Neither of those two need to be the cheapest because that's not what they're selling.

The Tiered pricing companies are crooked and I'd stay as far from them as I can. NEVER LEASE HARDWARE!!! If you need a desktop terminal buy it outright. They aren't that expensive.

The Interchange plus companies are the way to go IF you're big enough that the roughly $25/month fee is worth it. I know a business owner than charges her customers a once per month subscription that averages into the hundreds of dollars. It's B2C and a good number of her clients use Debit. The end result is effective pricing any given month that is 1.1% to 1.3%. In an Intuit/QB world she's paying 2.75% for each of those charges. She bought her processing from her bank who really wanted the checking and lending relationship. At her volume of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year she's saving a HUGE amount of money versus a Square or Intuit/QB.

OK, that's a ton of info. If you have questions respond here and I'll keep up with this thread. I've put in place and broken a lot of merchant deals over the years and know more than I care to admit though I just admitted a lot of it here. I'm more than will to share that info and help a fellow Ag evaluate what's in front of them before they sign anything.
Zemira
AG
I researched credit card processing a few years ago for a small non-profit. They had a similar number of charges although on average smaller amounts. At the time Square was the cheapest and least hassle. I would at least research to see, but I would bet they are probably still competitive. Rates were better for cards that are scanned versus entered.

Square has built itself to be made for small businesses. They even provide you with the ability to collect payments at an online portal/website as well.
Hanrahan
AG
LoyalAg. Sounds like you know your way around a merchant services billing statement. I run ~3million in cc charges annually and have a "zero markup direct pass thru" agreement with Vantiv through my bank.

I' followed all of your post except your example of the guy only paying in the low 1% range each month. I don't see how that is possible unless he refuses rewards or other higher tier credit cards. The best I feel I can do is in the 2.2-2.3% range. Granted we do little debut card transactions but that still seems far from the example you gave. Would love to talk to you about it more. I've tried repeatedly to make much sense of my billing statements each month, but good lord, they may as well be in Chinese... which seems to be by design.

Let me know I may be able to bend your ear. Thanks.
LOYAL AG
AG
Hanrahan said:

LoyalAg. Sounds like you know your way around a merchant services billing statement. I run ~3million in cc charges annually and have a "zero markup direct pass thru" agreement with Vantiv through my bank.

I' followed all of your post except your example of the guy only paying in the low 1% range each month. I don't see how that is possible unless he refuses rewards or other higher tier credit cards. The best I feel I can do is in the 2.2-2.3% range. Granted we do little debut card transactions but that still seems far from the example you gave. Would love to talk to you about it more. I've tried repeatedly to make much sense of my billing statements each month, but good lord, they may as well be in Chinese... which seems to be by design.

Let me know I may be able to bend your ear. Thanks.
I'm all in for a chat about this stuff. My email is jason @ thebeasleygroup . com.

The effective rate of 1.1% comes like this. Think of 5 transactions, all at the same dollar amount for simplicity. The price I'm quoting here is the interchange charge by VMCD to the processor.

1. Consumer debit card. These can be as low as .15%. They won't be higher than .8%.
2. Regular consumer credit card. This is probably priced at 1.5% or so.
3. 1% Consumer Rewards Card. This is going to be priced at 2.5% or so.
4. AMEX Gold Card. This is going to be priced at either 2.12% or 2.89% depending on the merchant's relationship with AMEX. We'll go with the higher and a direct relationship.
5. 2% Consumer Rewards Card. This will be priced at 3.5% or so.

Just averaging those five gets you 2.11%. This business is on interchange plus .1% from their bank so their effective rate is going to be 2.21%. Now start adding cards and weighting that for the mix of each card type. Let's say there's 5 debit, 2 regular, 3 1% rewards, 1 AMEX and 2 2% Rewards. We're at a total of 13 cards and an effective rate of 1.63%. What this specific business has is about 40% consumer debit cards. Their 1.1% is easily the best I've ever seen.

The more debit you can get people to use the better which is why I've never understood why the gas station charges you a premium for debit. It's the safest and cheapest money they can take. With cash there's a risk of theft from employees and criminals that doesn't exist with debit and the discounts are dirt cheap. IMO it's a bad decision. It's also why the pump asks you if your card is a debit card. if they can charge you the credit price and pay the debit cost that's a nice little win for them.

If your statement is hard to read I'm going to guess you're on tiered pricing which is intentionally confusing. I've not used Vantiv before but doing some research it looks like they're like a lot of the mega-processors. You can read that research here VANTIV/WORLDPAY Review. Note that Vantiv purchased WorldPay two years ago and has taken on the name and branding of WorldPay. They get dinged for things like multi-year contracts, early term fees, hidden fees and questionable sales practices due at least in part to using a lot of ISO's.

By the way the pricing I noted above comes with a terminal at cost, a month to month contract and no early term fee. There are a lot of banks doing it this way these days. Even some smaller banks are reselling process at interchange plus .25% which is pretty good.

If you want to visit on your processing drop me a line. I will say that if you're consistently at 2.2% or so that's pretty good. Only way you get much lower than that is to find a way to encourage debit. You can't refuse a high rewards card, by the way. If the customer complains to the issuing bank you can lose your right to process.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.