Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Credit score implications of loan default?

8,265 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TriAg2010
OldAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
***EDIT***

Thanks all for your responses and for those who gave some solid advice. Gonna make some adjustments in line with what many have suggested and see if that helps.

-B
Guitarsoup
AG
They are probably going to sue for a big loan, though, aren't they? Then you'll have to pay it out or go BK and now you'll have terrible credit.
MAS444
AG
Sounds like a judgment may not be collectible. But no idea what that does to credit score.
Furlock Bones
AG
i'd suggest trying to sell some cars and getting off car payments before you default on a loan.
aTm2004
AG
Can you not get rid of 1 or 2 car payments and drive an older car until the loan is paid off? Not going to get into not paying cash for a kid's car...
aTm2004
AG
Also, maybe a dumb question or move...can you refinance the big loan to get your payments lower? Will cost you more in the long run, but if it's easier on you and the family, it could be worth it.
BO297
Yea. I'd be selling the kiddos car or having them make that payment way before doing what you are about to do.
OldAg92
AG
Car payments aren't bad. One under $200 and the other two under $300 so trading them in for other cars isn't gonna make or break the situation for me.
aTm2004
AG
Say it's $150 and $250x2...$650/mo you could save by selling and paying cash for something older. I'm a car guy, but there's a reason I drive a '13 Edge with 110k on the clock and will for about another 15 years.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'd be worried about that turning into a judgment and affecting you down the road. That's gonna be a big ding, even if you have a solid score now. The credit bureaus tend to be difficult in giving you a good score, and quick to knock you down.

It may be worth contacting the unsecured loan and seeing if they could help you out on the monthly amount due. Won't help in the long run, but will help on the short term.

Eta: good luck. Hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.
500,000ags
AG
Have you spoken with the lender directly? They don't want you to default on an unsecured loan. With a credit score like that, maybe they can work with you.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Can you, your spouse and kids that are old enough to work collectively make an extra $15-$20k a year somehow? I would personally explore that and cutting spending ahead of anything else.
DRE06
AG
How much is going to support grandkids? Unless their parents (your kids) passed, I would probably cut that off.

All thing should be considered, down-grading cars, getting something more fuel efficient (assuming you have a gas guzzler), downgrading your cable service, quit eating out, getting rid of Netflix/streaming services/etc.

I bet if I was in this situation I could easily get rid of $500-600/month of unnecessary expenses.

Cut cable - $120
Cut Netflix - $16
No eating out - $300
Downgrade cellphone from unlimited data - $20-30
Slower home internet - $10-20
scoop12
AG
Do you have enough equity in your home for a cash out refi that would cover the debt? Assuming your goal is to pay back your loan to improve your monthly cash flow, this could solve it. Although obviously at the cost of converting that debt to a secured loan and extending your mortgage, which you may not want to do. But if you have a ton of equity sitting around doing nothing, it sure beats bankruptcy.

Good luck whatever route you take.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would not default. Approach the lender to see if you can negotiate an extended term. Their leverage is poor, so there is a decent chance of them working with you when default is the alternative. And then tighten the belt in other areas.

Cash out refi is an option, but between the fees and converting unsecured to secured, I'm not a fan unless a lot of factors add up for it to make sense.
DFWag84
These are the steps to protect your assets from judgment as I know them, not a lawyer, ask one

Declare Ch7
include $1400 loan
reaffirm everything else

if you just default without bankruptcy protection a judgement will be attached to your real property and it will have to be paid to sell it by you or your heirs

03_Aggie
Understand if you don't want to share it, but what's the actual total debt amount?
OldAg92
AG
03_Aggie
I'm assuming if you're taking care, and worrying about footing the bill, of an ailing in law then there isn't much there from an estate standpoint? I know it isn't what you asked about but I'd explore every avenue possible to get those expenses charged to the in law. The unfortunate reality is that the estate eats the debt.
OldAg92
AG
Zero in the estate - he has a burial policy and no real assets
03_Aggie
Yeah, man, that's a tough situation. I don't know about the credit impact. Never been in that situation and hope to never have to find out.

Outside of doing that I'd do what others have mentioned:

- see where you might be able to shave some other expenses
- see if the lender will work with you on the loan
- isolate expenses for the in law to the in law/their estate as much as possible.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd mostly advise procuring a time machine to go back and get a better divorce lawyer. But I guess that's out.
permabull
AG
OldAg92
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I'd mostly advise procuring a time machine to go back and get a better divorce lawyer. But I guess that's out.

Truth be told, the divorce lawyer was amazing. She got me (the dad) custody of all my kids. In Texas, that is no easy feat.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Gonna look at my options as far as working with the current lender, etc.
OasisMan
AG
OldAg92 said:

• mortgage
  • three car payments (me, wife, one kiddo)
  • one student loan
  • one credit card
  • six kids
  • two grandkids
  • ailing in-law
  • I had a lot of debt I took over in a divorce, as well as a small additional debt of my own, and I rolled it all into a personal unsecured loan -- huge personal loan is weighing us down ($1400/month)

without knowing the situation, it appears as if youre in quite a bit of debt / financial constraints
my immediate reaction would be to dave ramsey it

- call loan company to barter with them
- stop using credit card, use cash - psychologically you will likely spend less
- get rid of netflix, etc, other 'luxuries'
- sell kiddos car, get a beater
- sell your car, get a beater
- consider selling wifes car, get a beater
- your student loan or one of your kids?
- pay less for the grandkids?
- consider downsizing house to reduce mortgage?
cjsag94
AG
You've got stars on Texags and talking about defaulting on a loan. Yes, start selling cars and whatever else you need to do to live within your means and meet your obligations. If you feel no moral obligation to pay your debts, and all you care about are your credit scores (which you don't seem to really care about today), then default.

But understands, this debt isn't what is causing the stress, it's the combined effect of all the financial decisions you have, and are, making today. Essentially, not living within your means.
cjsag94
AG
OldAg92 said:

Car payments aren't bad. One under $200 and the other two under $300 so trading them in for other cars isn't gonna make or break the situation for me.

So saving $800/month wouldn't help?
claym711
AG
Unsecured debt? Whoever owns it couldn't care less about you. Moral obligation? That's to yourself and your family.
cjsag94
AG
It's not a moral obligation to the person who made the loan. It's a moral obligations you have to yourself to pay your debts that you incurred.

OP even said that... But he's drawing a line to where his morals stop and his expectation of certain lifestyle choices starts to trump those obligations.

OldAg92
AG
cjsag94 said:

It's not a moral obligation to the person who made the loan. It's a moral obligations you have to yourself to pay your debts that you incurred.

OP even said that... But he's drawing a line to where his morals stop and his expectation of certain lifestyle choices starts to trump those obligations.

Maybe a fair criticism/assessment, but I have not yet drawn any such line. To date, I've never missed a payment in my life - hence the current credit score.

Again, thanks all for the responses.
Yesterday
AG
Applaud your willingness to share this on texags. The hardest step is realizing you have to do something different. Most people will keep doing it and just hope it gets better.

I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey says but I think his philosophy is right up your alley! I can imagine that if you follow his word to a T that you'll be in a lot better financial situation after one year. Good luck and keep us posted! Everyone likes a comeback story!
cjsag94
AG
I agree whole heartedly with this. Unfortunately, I think OP is very normal in middle to upper middle class communities with what he's dealing with.

Really tough to make sacrifices ( a la Dave Ramsey style) when you feel you have earned a certain lifestyle, especially when you look around you and it feels like everyone else has it easy. Far to many people look just like OP behind closed doors. Tough spot psychologically.
permabull
AG
500,000ags
AG
Throwing out morality a little loose here IMO. If that loan was from family, friends, or a community member, who isn't profiting, then sure, I'd say there is some moral concern.

If that loan is from a traditional lender, it's business. They account for loan losses as a cost of doing business. They charge you interest for their profit. They made a risk decision and should be willing to work with their borrower if that borrower needs time to re-work liabilities. Hell, our own President is rather lose with his corporate structures filing for bankruptcy.
cjsag94
AG
500,000ags said:

Throwing out morality a little loose here IMO. If that loan was from family, friends, or a community member, who isn't profiting, then sure, I'd say there is some moral concern.

If that loan is from a traditional lender, it's business. They account for loan losses as a cost of doing business. They charge you interest for their profit. They made a risk decision and should be willing to work with their borrower if that borrower needs time to re-work liabilities. Hell, our own President is rather lose with his corporate structures filing for bankruptcy.

That makes it legal to skip out, pending marketplace consequences... Not moral. Morality is what guides our behavior when rules don't otherwise apply.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.