Business & Investing
Sponsored by

PSA re: Store Credit Cards

4,484 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bmks270
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a call this morning from my mom wondering if I used any store credit cards. We don't but she went on to tell me that her mom does then she pays them off each month. Well last month grandma bought a new weed eater from Lowe's and when she got the bill she noticed a $1.66 charge on it for "credit cancellation". It's the old credit insurance scam. It's charged each month until the account is paid in full.

If you want to pay for that kind of thing go for it but this is apparently an "opt out" deal rather than an "opt in" one. In other words you have it unless you call and cancel it which seems wrong. A few months ago she purchased a new lawn tractor and missed the $15 charge for the coverage on that bill.

The Lowe's card is underwritten by Synchrony Bank which does a lot of the private label cards in use today and that's really why I'm posting this. You and I may not use them because we're financial bad asses (it's the internet after all!) but we all know someone that does. Seems like a good idea to make sure they know this is happening.
30wedge
Good info. Thanks for posting it
Aston04
AG
Synchrony Bank is shady...

They do underwrite the Amazon card, which a lot of people (including myself), have for 5% back each month.

I will be on the lookout for a charge like this in the future.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aston04 said:

They do underwrite the Amazon card, which a lot of people (including myself), have for 5% back each month.

My Amazon card is through Chase.
dubi
AG
Synchrony Bank underwrites the Discount Tire card.
Zemira
AG
Good to know.

I haven't ever had that many store cards, but the two I did have got cancelled. I hadn't used them often enough so my accounts were closed by the stores/people managing the cards.
LOYAL AG
AG
dubi said:

That's good to know. A lot of these accounts will offer the 0% for 6 months or something like that but if they're hitting you with crap like this that kind of negates the 0%, doesn't it? I mean 16.6% credit insurance is crazy expensive. Add to that the 27% interest a lot of store cards have you and you're effectively paying 43% interest which is nuts!
Madmarttigan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Aston04 said:

My Amazon card is through Chase.

This might depend on which type of amazon card you have. Mine is the amazon only card and through synchrony.
dubi
AG
LOYAL AG said:

dubi said:

That's good to know. A lot of these accounts will offer the 0% for 6 months or something like that but if they're hitting you with crap like this that kind of negates the 0%, doesn't it? I mean 16.6% credit insurance is crazy expensive. Add to that the 27% interest a lot of store cards have you and you're effectively paying 43% interest which is nuts!
When our family had 5 cars we were always buying tires. So I'd take advantage of the 6 months no interest plus on major holidays they offer an additional rebate that applies only to card holders (~ $60 for a set of 4 tires).

So it is actually a cost savings to use a DT card as long as you pay it off within the interest free window.
permabull
AG
Post removed:
by user
txaggie_08
AG
third coast.. said:

I've got synchrony on a couple of 0% cards and I just looked and I dont see anything like this on any of them?
Me neither, I've got Synchrony backed cards through Best Buy and Haverty's, and have never seen one of these charges.
Post removed:
by user
LOYAL AG
AG
It's interesting the number of different Synchrony cards that don't have this. It's starting to sound like the retailer decides whether they will allow it or not. The private label cards charge the merchant a discount just like Visa does and those discounts change based on the type of financing the customer chooses. So 12 months same as cash is cheaper to the merchant than is 24 months same as cash. I wonder if allowing Synchrony to include this results in a lower discount to the merchant. I also wonder if maybe it's illegal in Texas. My grandma is in Tennessee.

Either way I appreciate all of the responses.
bmks270
AG
I've never had a card that did this. Can you elaborate exactly what is going on? They fee you "insurance" if you don't pay off the balance sort of like default insurance?

$1.66 is peanuts, so wouldn't the card discount more than make up for it?
LOYAL AG
AG
bmks270 said:

I've never had a card that did this. Can you elaborate exactly what is going on? They fee you "insurance" if you don't pay off the balance sort of like default insurance?

I've never seen it either but if you google something like Lowes Card Credit Insurance or something like that there's a decent amount of info on it. It was $1.66 per $100 of balance and it was charged immediately so unlike interest there was no grace period. In other words the very first statement balance was $101.66.

$1.66 is peanuts but when grandma purchased a new riding mower it wasn't $1.66 but more like $15. She's 86 and on a fixed income so every $1.66 counts.
bmks270
AG
LOYAL AG said:

bmks270 said:

I've never seen it either but if you google something like Lowes Card Credit Insurance or something like that there's a decent amount of info on it. It was $1.66 per $100 of balance and it was charged immediately so unlike interest there was no grace period. In other words the very first statement balance was $101.66.

$1.66 is peanuts but when grandma purchased a new riding mower it wasn't $1.66 but more like $15. She's 86 and on a fixed income so every $1.66 counts.

Thanks for the clarity. Yeah, it sounds like a scam.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.